BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed numerous discussions on M5 body roll and cornering performance on trackdays. Allow me to illustrate -- pictures taken at Sepang F1 track on the T1 / T2 chicane right after main straight --braking hard from 230 kph / 143 mph from 160m out (I suppose higher speeds at a later braking point could be obtained depending on how brave you are at hurtling the beast towards to gravel / barrier at T1)

First, the aerial view of the Sepang track to show the layout, followed by the beast over various TDs to-date

Sepang.jpg

Picture 311.jpg

Picture 289.jpg

Picture 290.jpg

4398415982_aa2db07c4d_o.jpg

4414808270_dfe3d1076e_o.jpg

IMG_9101.JPG

·
Registered
383 Posts
Great photos and very nice aerial of the track. Looks to be a demanding track with very little room for errors.

What settings do you have on the car fro track work? I know some people prefer normal to sport on the EDC if the track is not perfectly smooth.

·
Registered
138 Posts
... very little room for errors...
What to do you mean? There's plenty of run-off space and breaking areas in all corners. Sand or gravel is not the wall one should be afraid off. I would love to have a track like this somewhere near me!!!

Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Must have been a blast.
That track layout is awesome. Design for high power and technical dourse demands.
btw you're in good company in that pic between the Lambo SL and the Scud. ;)

Ranger

Reactions: Elite

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great photos and very nice aerial of the track. Looks to be a demanding track with very little room for errors.

What settings do you have on the car fro track work? I know some people prefer normal to sport on the EDC if the track is not perfectly smooth.
Normally I go with MDrive on with the following settings P500S / M Dynamic Mode for DSC / EDC at Sport / D5 or S5 -- but I normally just leave it at D5 and let the car worry about the shifting so I can concentrate on the lines and overtaking :hihi:

Track is normally smooth enough for EDC at Sport, for highway driving I normally go with Comfort -- much easier

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What to do you mean? There's plenty of run-off space and breaking areas in all corners. Sand or gravel is not the wall one should be afraid off. I would love to have a track like this somewhere near me!!!

Thanks for the pics!
Thanks -- this the track where they have the Malaysia Formula 1 GP -- Formula 1? - The Official F1? Website, so the runoff and gravel is designed to stop a F1 car at 300+ kph / 185 mph.

But you won't want to go into the gravel on the beast -- the paintwork and the rims will be completedly wrecked.

Went into the gravel at T15 once, fortunately I had my Llumar paint protection on, so that took the brunt of the stone hits and I just needed to replace the affected panels -- so the beast was still able to do the 'show' part of its duties in addition to the 'go' part on the track the day before -- http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/161346-launch-worlds-first-exclusive-bmw-m-division-dealership.html

Reactions: Olaf

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pics. Must have been a blast.
That track layout is awesome. Design for high power and technical dourse demands.
btw you're in good company in that pic between the Lambo SL and the Scud. ;)

Ranger
Thanks its a Hermann Tilke designed F1 circuit -- 5.54 km / 15 turns. Track dedicated cars normally do very well vs. high powered ones here as there are only 2 main straights and the longest straight is less than 1 km (927m only). Apparently, it is considered a high down force circuit, therefore slower speed vs. other F1 circuits on the calender (Formula One car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Sepang International Circuit - Trackpedia

Turn by turn guide to the Sepang International Circuit track - Trackpedia

Normal strategy for me at least is to gain as much advantage as possible on the back and pit straight, and hold on for 15 turns, though others have been known to use the power slide strategy all the way lol :flag:

·
Registered
103 Posts
its a 4 door sedan.....bodyroll is kind of expected no matter how well you turn it right? lol :dunno:

Yes. I thought the car actually felt flatter than it appears there. On the street it does well, at the track it's weight really shines through unfortunately. But who else is out there with $90k of luxury? :)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I have Eibach springs on with EDC set to maximum.. and still get body roll. I wonder is KW's would help?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its a 4 door sedan.....bodyroll is kind of expected no matter how well you turn it right? lol :dunno:
Lol ... you've seen the 4 door in action so allow me to illustrate bodyroll of 5 door vs 2 door vs no door :haha:

Picture309.jpg

Picture307.jpg

Picture271.jpg

Picture279.jpg

Picture276.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
C'mon! Putting the Ariel Atom in there is like torturing yourself... :)

Recommended settings: Try P500 NO SPORT (Too difficult to accurately modulate the throttle), and EDC on normal. You need a little bit of give, in my opinion, the EDC Sport setting is too stiff for just about everything. It feels sporty, but it may not be the best/fastest. You will have a bunch of body roll until you upgrade the anti-roll bars (or sways, depending on your tastes). To eliminate roll you need to tie the sides of the car together more tightly. Lowering the car will help some, once you've done the sways. The first mod on every car I've owned has been sways. They are the biggest handling improvement for the least amount of money, most of the time. If still too much bodyroll, KW Coilovers. Vodyk has 'em, and his M5 handles like an STi. It's ridic.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
C'mon! Putting the Ariel Atom in there is like torturing yourself... :)
Lol ! If you enjoyed Ariel Atom at Sepang T1/T2, check out the Radical in the spot ! :haha:

4414779818_b8d0af6749_o.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...... Recommended settings: Try P500 NO SPORT (Too difficult to accurately modulate the throttle), and EDC on normal. You need a little bit of give, in my opinion, the EDC Sport setting is too stiff for just about everything. It feels sporty, but it may not be the best/fastest. You will have a bunch of body roll until you upgrade the anti-roll bars (or sways, depending on your tastes). To eliminate roll you need to tie the sides of the car together more tightly. Lowering the car will help some, once you've done the sways. The first mod on every car I've owned has been sways. They are the biggest handling improvement for the least amount of money, most of the time. If still too much bodyroll, KW Coilovers. Vodyk has 'em, and his M5 handles like an STi. It's ridic.
Thanks for the tips -- will definitely try out the different settings. Thats what I like about the E60 M5 as well -- that it lets you set throttle response, damping and stability control independently of each other, instead of a generic sport button that assumes harder throttle and stiffer damping always goes together etc. :flag:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks -- this the track where they have the Malaysia Formula 1 GP -- Formula 1? - The Official F1? Website, so the runoff and gravel is designed to stop a F1 car at 300+ kph / 185 mph.

But you won't want to go into the gravel on the beast -- the paintwork and the rims will be completedly wrecked.

Went into the gravel at T15 once, fortunately I had my Llumar paint protection on, so that took the brunt of the stone hits and I just needed to replace the affected panels -- so the beast was still able to do the 'show' part of its duties in addition to the 'go' part on the track the day before -- http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/161346-launch-worlds-first-exclusive-bmw-m-division-dealership.html
I put my beast into the gravel at Larry Miller . . . twice.
My soul bled.
Needless to say I got a little carried away in driving competitively at the time attack competition.

Fortunately I did have some clear bra on a lot of it and what wasn't protected by the clear bra just washed off. It looked bad though but no marks! Very fortunate. I'll try to figure out how to upload a pic. Don't know if I can do it from my iPad though.

Thefirm13

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hi Elite, what is your EDC setting? You will experience less roll on the Sport mode, but you will get more oversteer in return. Maybe, you'll need coilovers and thicker swaybars to keep the bodyroll in check. Btw, will you be attending the BMW driving experience in Miramas?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put my beast into the gravel at Larry Miller . . . twice.
My soul bled.
Needless to say I got a little carried away in driving competitively at the time attack competition.

Fortunately I did have some clear bra on a lot of it and what wasn't protected by the clear bra just washed off. It looked bad though but no marks! Very fortunate. I'll try to figure out how to upload a pic. Don't know if I can do it from my iPad though.

Thefirm13
I feel you -- its definitely the worse feeling :crying2: And the irony was when I first when in, it didn't fully sink in and I still powered out to get the the finish line for the lap timing ..... lol

Thank goodness for paint protection clear bra :thumbsup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hi Elite, what is your EDC setting? You will experience less roll on the Sport mode, but you will get more oversteer in return. Maybe, you'll need coilovers and thicker swaybars to keep the bodyroll in check. Btw, will you be attending the BMW driving experience in Miramas?
EDC at Sport for track days. Normally I do most of my braking before the actual corner and very little braking when turning to avoid oversteer -- or at least try to :biggrin:

Whats your experience at Sentul ?

I was planning to the M Power at Miramas but couldn't get the flights to work -- very disappointed. But I got Gustav in so will be expecting a full report here -- heard they maybe showing casing a few new models so perhaps the F10 M5 prototype or the M1 135 ? :grinyes:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts