BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 03 M5 from a dealer with 23,678 miles. The car is being CPO'd and I thought about extending the maitenance plan an additional 2 years/50k miles. It costs $1195.00 for the plan. Any thoughts on whether this is worthwhile or am I wasting my money? The dealer is making about $100 bucks on the plan and told me it would probably be smart to get due to clutch/brakes will need work/replacing and part 2 inspections that take place in the 40K to 60K mile range.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
It is definatly worth it. I have extended my warranty twice now. Last year it cost me 650.00 pounds and the car had 3500.00 pounds worth of work, this included Vanos replacement,new CD Changer,new viscous fan and new MAFS.

My second year warranty cost me 950.00 pounds which I took out two weeks ago and my car is now at the dealers having a new gearbox and propshaft joints, this totals to more than 5000.00 pounds including labour!!!!:eek:

So YES YES YES, it's worth it:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
I have spent over $10,000 in repairs since my warranty expired. I'd have bought one but there wasn't anything offered by the time my 10/99 build went off warranty. There is a LOT of expensive stuff on these cars that can and will break!!

It is worth it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Andy Leeper said:
Just purchased a 03 M5 from a dealer with 23,678 miles. The car is being CPO'd and I thought about extending the maitenance plan an additional 2 years/50k miles. It costs $1195.00 for the plan. Any thoughts on whether this is worthwhile or am I wasting my money? The dealer is making about $100 bucks on the plan and told me it would probably be smart to get due to clutch/brakes will need work/replacing and part 2 inspections that take place in the 40K to 60K mile range.
Thanks
I'm purchasing an extended warranty, but if I'm not mistaken, clutch and brake components are probably not covered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,618 Posts
FredW said:
I'm purchasing an extended warranty, but if I'm not mistaken, clutch and brake components are probably not covered.
Clutches and brakes are covered by the maintenance program, not the warranty program (unless they fail -- as opposed to wear out).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Being a new M5 owner this is very worrying for me. Mine is a 99 with about 46k miles on the clock.

Are you guys telling me that the M5 is going to cost me thosands a year in repairs and maintainance? Are the parts that unreliable? Or is is just you guys drive them so hard that the parts go kaput?

:crying2:

- Kin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I checked into getting the warranty extended with Murphy and Gunn - had there been no break in the warranty it would have been only €650 (bargain). But alas, mine is out of warranty a while and you cannot go and in effect 'buy' any warranty cover. Bit worrying alright isn't it?!?


Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
i purchased an extened warranty from road show bmw 7yrs/100,000 they call it there platinum plan.$2800.00 probably paid to much but hopefully it will pay for itself.:M5rev:
Andy Leeper said:
Just purchased a 03 M5 from a dealer with 23,678 miles. The car is being CPO'd and I thought about extending the maitenance plan an additional 2 years/50k miles. It costs $1195.00 for the plan. Any thoughts on whether this is worthwhile or am I wasting my money? The dealer is making about $100 bucks on the plan and told me it would probably be smart to get due to clutch/brakes will need work/replacing and part 2 inspections that take place in the 40K to 60K mile range.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Paul M5 said:
I checked into getting the warranty extended with Murphy and Gunn - had there been no break in the warranty it would have been only €650 (bargain). But alas, mine is out of warranty a while and you cannot go and in effect 'buy' any warranty cover. Bit worrying alright isn't it?!?


Paul
I guess that is why everyone says buy from a BMW dealer, cuz that way you have their approved BMW car warranty for the first 12 months and after that you can renew it.

I am going to talk to the dealer I bought my car from and see if they can do something with BMW for me. Worth a try I guess. :M5thumbs:

- Kin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
I recommend extending the maintenance agreement, and I have done so. The two inspections you mention will probably run over $500 each, and then there is the brakes, windshield wipers, clutch (maybe), etc. I also like the fact that between the factory warranty (and then the CPO) and the extended maintenance agreement, I am less likely to be told "it's not covered..."

Congratulations on the car!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
sounds like owners have had been told different things by the dealerships. i was recently informed by the service manager as i considered purchasing the exptended maintenance plan was that the brakes were covered and the clutch might be - it just depends what it looks like once they have it apart. if the flywheel is still blue (suggesting that it just wore out) then it is covered. if it has turned black then it is not covered by the plan because the worn clutch was due to abuse. it would be nice if there are any members/guests who work at a dealership to help clarify this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Are you guys telling me that the M5 is going to cost me thosands a year in repairs and maintainance? Are the parts that unreliable? Or is is just you guys drive them so hard that the parts go kaput?

:crying2:

- Kin
Yes, and, No and No


Let's also be clear on WARRANTY and MAINTENANCE. Two very different items.

You cannot spend thousands and thousands of dollars on maintenance each year.

And the BMW plan only covers the bare minimum.

I'd say if you will be needing brakes it is worth buying- otherwise no. I have an extended warranty, but no maintenance plan.

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Being a new M5 owner this is very worrying for me. Mine is a 99 with about 46k miles on the clock.

Are you guys telling me that the M5 is going to cost me thosands a year in repairs and maintainance? Are the parts that unreliable? Or is is just you guys drive them so hard that the parts go kaput?

:crying2:

- Kin
I'm new to the M5, but have owned an '81 320i, '84 325e, '88 325is, and '95 540i sport, all with manual transmissions. I have always changed the oil at 3 mo/ 3000 mi (mineral oil) or 6mo/ 6000 mi (synthetic). Additionally I flush the radiator and change the brake fluid at the BMW recommended intervals.

All of my cars were kept through at least 85K miles. I usually traded, because I wanted to go faster, not because there was anything wrong with the cars.

I drive my cars somewhat agressively and use double clutching and downshifting to slow down. Saves brakes and reduces brake dust. I've never had any clutch or brake issues.

The only major non-scheduled maintenace was my 540i. I had oil seeping from a seal. That was covered under warranty.

That said, BMW's are expensive to repair. Remember that BMW stands for Bring My Wallet. I purchased an extended warranty for the same reason I have health insurance. I'm in pretty reasonable shape, but if I broke down, I don't want my repair costs to kill me. (no pun intended).

One of the members of this forum may have to replace an engine with only 54K miles.

Hope that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,078 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Being a new M5 owner this is very worrying for me. Mine is a 99 with about 46k miles on the clock.

Are you guys telling me that the M5 is going to cost me thosands a year in repairs and maintainance? Are the parts that unreliable? Or is is just you guys drive them so hard that the parts go kaput?

:crying2:

- Kin
Unfortunatley, it's not necessarily the car and parts that are un reliable, but the hacks, oh sorry techs that work on them:confused3
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top