BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walked into the BMW Dealership in Houston, TX yesterday to book my M5 - my current lease expires in June 2006.
Dealer told me that a bidding war is imminent on the 6 M5's or So they have been allocated each year. This is the largest dealership in Houston and this is not a small town.
He Said they have refunded all deposits included even one made in 2002. It will be first come first served and whoever pays the highest price.
He said looking at pricing in California expect to pay 120K to 140K - cars will arrive from Fall this year.
My hope for being able to drive a M5 in the near future is fading even though I am willing to pay sticker.

·
Registered
992 Posts
todo said:
Walked into the BMW Dealership in Houston, TX yesterday to book my M5 - my current lease expires in June 2006.
Dealer told me that a bidding war is imminent on the 6 M5's or So they have been allocated each year. This is the largest dealership in Houston and this is not a small town.
He Said they have refunded all deposits included even one made in 2002. It will be first come first served and whoever pays the highest price.
He said looking at pricing in California expect to pay 120K to 140K - cars will arrive from Fall this year.
My hope for being able to drive a M5 in the near future is fading even though I am willing to pay sticker.
Come to BMW North Scottsdale in Phoenix, AZ. They have taken 150 deposits and last time I met with them, the said the price would be around $90k. Guess time will tell.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
f*** them!!!, go to another dealer, just start calling around to get on a list for next years allotment, that is beyond rediculous for this car, yes it is a great car, but not at the cost level... let your fingers do the walkin..... :M5launch:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
todo said:
I wonder whether any of the deposits this dealership had accepted were accompanied by contracts that specified that the car would be sold at MSRP. If so, there may be some breach of contract issues.

You definitely can find plenty of dealers willing to sell at MSRP. At this point, however, you likely will wait for quite some time since most, if not all, dealers have extensive waiting lists.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
SCORPIO said:
Come to BMW North Scottsdale in Phoenix, AZ. They have taken 150 deposits and last time I met with them, the said the price would be around $90k. Guess time will tell.
Is this correct or a misprint? 150 deposits? One dealership will not deliver 150 M5s during its entire product cycle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amen F360.

Dealer said the Z8 was listed at 140K but sold for 190K.

I am sure there is a fine print in the deposit contract so the dealer can weasel out of it.

I might have to just buy it from the internet like Idid my 745Li (the 745Li was not in "short supply" though).

·
Registered
703 Posts
totally unacceptable, shop elsewhere:nono:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another gripe I have is that BMW dealers do not give loaners if you do not buy the car from the dealership - I faced it with my 745 since I bought/leased it off the internet.

Since this dealership is closest to my home I might have to live with another car not supported by the dealer I want to get it serviced at.

BMW does make great cars - I have not driven any other make since 1996 although not the mighty M5 but they have to work on their after sales service.

·
Registered
992 Posts
MRichmond said:
Is this correct or a misprint? 150 deposits? One dealership will not deliver 150 M5s during its entire product cycle.
While I agree, I am just telling you what they told me. BTW, BMW North Scottsdale claims to be the largest BMW dealership in the world - they said they will get surpassed by a new dealership being built in Florida.

·
Registered
714 Posts
todo said:

so they are only gettnig 6 M5's per year?
i think there is a lot of lies from the stealers and they are very evil.
i would just walk away.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think a bidding war is such horrible 'used car salesman' attempt at increasing profit levels in the dealership! Shop elsewhere! how can the salesman even tell you that, and keep a straight face!?. To actually refund deposits??? how can they even practise a business like that, and choose to auction the cars off instead. I would love to be the manager who gets the job to call all those people;

"Good morning, we have decided to refund your deposit and interest in the M5, thank you for considering our dealership. However, due to decreased profit revenues, we have come up with a new strategy to place these 5 cars on a bidding sheet for higher prices than list. What is your first bid?..."
:confused2
My suggestion would be to go to a dealership in the middle of nowhere! such as out in a small town, where people dont even know what an M5 is. I have heard from some very reliable sources, that there is no such myth about BMW M5 alotment going to 'favourite' or 'high end' or 'high volume' dealers, first. I dont think such a practise even exists - and salesman or managers use that as a tactic to convince customers that 'this dealership is favoured, so I would be better off buying my $90K car here'. If you think your salesman is being honest with you - he probably is, but what are thier managers or regional BMW reps telling them??? I always appreciate dealerships are in the business to make money, and thats fine - but not to steal it! :nono:

good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I walked into the dealership a salesman walked up to me - when I told him I was interested in a M5 he announced in his great wisdom that the M5 is coming out in 2007.

I informed him that he is wrong and he should check with his manager.
When he was gone a manager type walked up to me from a cubical and announced their policy.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
MRichmond said:
I wonder whether any of the deposits this dealership had accepted were accompanied by contracts that specified that the car would be sold at MSRP. If so, there may be some breach of contract issues.

You definitely can find plenty of dealers willing to sell at MSRP. At this point, however, you likely will wait for quite some time since most, if not all, dealers have extensive waiting lists.
Exactly. I have a contract, a non-refundable deposit, and a MSRP price guaranteed in writing, and signed by both parties. This is called a CONTRACT. They can't cancel my contract...and neither can I, unless we both agree. This is the way business transactions of nearly $100K are conducted.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Digi said:
Exactly. I have a contract, a non-refundable deposit, and a MSRP price guaranteed in writing, and signed by both parties. This is called a CONTRACT. They can't cancel my contract...and neither can I, unless we both agree. This is the way business transactions of nearly $100K are conducted.
Here in Cincinnati both dealers sell at MSRP only. I'm first on the list, and have been there for 3 years. They haven't even run my $500 credit card deposit yet, but I know their word is good. There are some advantages to living in the midwest.

·
Registered
90 Posts
SCORPIO is correct, BMW north Scottsdale has a long list, but....its just a list and you can expect many to drop off when it comes time to put up the bucks. To date they have always stuck to their policy of list price on the M cars, I have been told this policy has not changed. My money deposit has been down for better than three years.

They do claim to be the largest dealer in the US, but I still don't anticipate them getting more than 6-12 cars a year, at least in the first couple years.

I agree, go to another dealer, I helped a friend in Philly get a Mini at list when they were a very hot item.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Digi said:
Although in the final analysis it may not be worth your while, it sounds like you have enough to consult with a local attorney if you wanted to pursue this matter. However, I would explore your options of dealers who conduct business differently. If you succeed in finding a place on a list that is acceptable and at MSRP, you can resume enjoying the anticipation of the car's arrival.

·
Registered
764 Posts
See what the dealer's response is to your letters to BMWNA. Then it's up to you whether to pursue legal recourse. Naturally, you could outline their "policy" in detail in the local media. Wouldn't you love to see those greedy slobs stammering excuses on camera? :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't think he has any legal recourse since he wasn't one of the people who had their money returned. He was just going in to put a deposit down.

·
Registered
714 Posts
e60beast said:
I think a bidding war is such horrible 'used car salesman' attempt at increasing profit levels in the dealership! Shop elsewhere! how can the salesman even tell you that, and keep a straight face!?. To actually refund deposits??? how can they even practise a business like that, and choose to auction the cars off instead. I would love to be the manager who gets the job to call all those people;

"Good morning, we have decided to refund your deposit and interest in the M5, thank you for considering our dealership. However, due to decreased profit revenues, we have come up with a new strategy to place these 5 cars on a bidding sheet for higher prices than list. What is your first bid?..."
:confused2
My suggestion would be to go to a dealership in the middle of nowhere! such as out in a small town, where people dont even know what an M5 is. I have heard from some very reliable sources, that there is no such myth about BMW M5 alotment going to 'favourite' or 'high end' or 'high volume' dealers, first. I dont think such a practise even exists - and salesman or managers use that as a tactic to convince customers that 'this dealership is favoured, so I would be better off buying my $90K car here'. If you think your salesman is being honest with you - he probably is, but what are thier managers or regional BMW reps telling them??? I always appreciate dealerships are in the business to make money, and thats fine - but not to steal it! :nono:

good luck.
how do you explain the allotment of M5 to each dealer then?

any dealer even in the middle of no where can sell an M5 now.
if BMW can offer X number of cars to each dealer, chances are they will take them all.

from what i understand the M cars are allotted to sales performance of the dealership; i.e. they sell X number of 5's and they get an M5. i think that is logically how BMW decides who gets what, as an incentive to award the higher volume dealers, and as well, porpotional to the demand. i.e. you don't give 6 M5's to a dealer in the middle of no where who normally don't sell that many cars, and leave a high volume dealer with not enough cars.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
03BeastCharmer said:
I don't think he has any legal recourse since he wasn't one of the people who had their money returned. He was just going in to put a deposit down.
You are correct about todo, the person who started this thread. My response was to Digi, who, apparently, is one of the people whose contract is being unilaterally rescinded.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts