BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...Yes indeed, in the new issue of 'Car' the M5 beat the MB quite convincingly. Oh well. I hope now people like 'veester' will finally be quiet.

Surely there can be no doubt, no debate, the new M5 is immense. In fact under one of the photos of the M5 in the magzine the caption stated: "Ultimate Driving Machine? - If this isn't, we don't know what is!?"

When pitted against the Porsche 911 the mag stated that the M5 was as good as it but of course, for the purist, the 911 could not be beaten. I quite agree, what is essentially a '4 door famaily car' vs the 'traditional archetypal sports car', there can surely be only one winner. However, it is a compliment in the extreme even to make the comparison.

The king is dead, long live the king. In my opinion the new M5 is worthy of the Ultimate Driving Machine slogan. Good job BMW, it's good to see that even though the styling may be undergoing a few issues, the engineering is still the best in the world

www.bimmer.org

·
Registered
520 Posts
beckhammania23 said:
...Yes indeed, in the new issue of 'Car' the M5 beat the MB quite convincingly. Oh well. I hope now people like 'veester' will finally be quiet.

Surely there can be no doubt, no debate, the new M5 is immense. In fact under one of the photos of the M5 in the magzine the caption stated: "Ultimate Driving Machine? - If this isn't, we don't know what is!?"

When pitted against the Porsche 911 the mag stated that the M5 was as good as it but of course, for the purist, the 911 could not be beaten. I quite agree, what is essentially a '4 door famaily car' vs the 'traditional archetypal sports car', there can surely be only one winner. However, it is a compliment in the extreme even to make the comparison.

The king is dead, long live the king. In my opinion the new M5 is worthy of the Ultimate Driving Machine slogan. Good job BMW, it's good to see that even though the styling may be undergoing a few issues, the engineering is still the best in the world
Any chance of a scan? Here in Australia we get CAR by airmail, but it still takes a few days.... :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
beckhammania23 said:

Why not compare it with a Maybach?? The SL65 is a 2500kg intercontinental ballistic missile, not a sports car.

·
Registered
675 Posts
steve999 said:
Why not compare it with a Maybach?? The SL65 is a 2500kg intercontinental ballistic missile, not a sports car.
agreed strange comparison,especially when most mags agree the 55 is a far superior car to the 65 ,the SL class are convertible GTS and need to be compared to bentley GT,AM DB9 ,ferrari 575 etc.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Peter B said:
or a mclaren vs. m5, wonder who would win that? does seem to be the strangest vs. test ive seen in a while.
It's a bit like in this test.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
markf said:
agreed strange comparison,especially when most mags agree the 55 is a far superior car to the 65 ,the SL class are convertible GTS and need to be compared to bentley GT,AM DB9 ,ferrari 575 etc.
Which test stated the 55 was superior to the 65?:confused:

I think the cars were compared because at the moment they are the bet both marques can offer(not counting the SLR)

all the best
adam

·
Registered
675 Posts
adam

Autocar did a SL65 vs SL600 vs SL55 with the 55 winning.Virtually every road test has stated the sl65 is not worth getting instead of the 55 as its performance is near unusable,excessive wheelspin,plus the extra weight of the v12 makes it less nimble than the 55.(which isn't a nimble car anyway)
Top gear stated the same as did car magazine,and evo still has the sl55 as their convertible of choice.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If you scroll down the link provided by beckham, you'll notice the original poster screwed up and it was the M5 vs. the CLS55. There was another test in that mag (i guess) where the SL65 got trounced by the 575, etc. etc.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
mark,

Good point, the 65 is a brute, and very expensive...

all the best
adam

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is beckhammania23 and GeorgeUK from the original link posted above the same person? Cause if they aren't, beck has basically copied someone else's post from another board word for word, and even then, I have no idea if it was a quotation straight from the magazine or just the stolen words of GeorgeUK. I know I'm picky, but something about using the words of others without quotation just doesn't sit right with me.

Moderators, I'm sure there is a rule about this somewhere. Maybe you can remind users to use quotations when appropriate? Because I've been seeing this sort of thing alot lately.

Sorry about the rant.

On-topic, that's impressive of the new M5. Good work, BMW!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No NO i've not stolen it i've forgot the imput the source.
But i've copied the text, so people can read the news about the M5 and the SL AMG.

If you go up, you can see the Link.

Beckhammania23 ;)

Opposite_Lock said:
Is beckhammania23 and GeorgeUK from the original link posted above the same person? Cause if they aren't, beck has basically copied someone else's post from another board word for word, and even then, I have no idea if it was a quotation straight from the magazine or just the stolen words of GeorgeUK. I know I'm picky, but something about using the words of others without quotation just doesn't sit right with me.

Moderators, I'm sure there is a rule about this somewhere. Maybe you can remind users to use quotations when appropriate? Because I've been seeing this sort of thing alot lately.

Sorry about the rant.

On-topic, that's impressive of the new M5. Good work, BMW!

·
Registered
64 Posts
hey goose, nice pic. btw borrowed a friends 05 sl65 silver arrow for a weekend a while back and its straight line acceleration is mind blowing. then being able to drop the top is an extra bonus. but the as delivered price of $229,000 is mind NUMBING!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts