BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Re: M5 beats F430!

The article brings a smile to my face knowing that my M5 is parked six floors down in the office parking lotlovelove

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Nimbus said:
F430 vs M6 would be more appropriate...
Sure but the M6 is still one year away from first delivery in SA. I think it is the fact that they share similar cult status that makes the article intresting.Thanks for the welcome Ashok.

·
Registered
675 Posts
sorry to put a damper ion things,but isn't sutcliffe the guy who did the autocar comparison ? in which case its just a re write.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sport Auto tested the M5 on the Nurburgring and did a 8:13. I wonder what time the F430 is going to do?
I believe with the same tires as the M3 CSL the M5 could do the Nordschleife in under 8 minutes. And I guess that's about the same time the F430 would do it in.

Yesterday Jeremy Clarckson tested the F430 and was very positive about it. Having read his article on the M5 I really wonder what he's going to buy to replace his Ford GT?
I would go for the M5 any day.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes it's just a re-write - you can see they're the same UK-registered cars.

Russell

·
Registered
188 Posts

Where have you heard that about the delivery??

My friends delivery is Feb 10 2006(in South Africa).. and I've heard of some dealers promosing earlier deliveries..

888 said:
Sure but the M6 is still one year away from first delivery in SA. I think it is the fact that they share similar cult status that makes the article intresting.Thanks for the welcome Ashok.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

greggb said:
Where have you heard that about the delivery??

My friends delivery is Feb 10 2006(in South Africa).. and I've heard of some dealers promosing earlier deliveries..
Has your friend speced his car? I was promised my M5 in early June the car is still not on the water. I would be suprised if we see any M6 cars by early next year, any idea on price? BMW I am sure will want the M5 to make full impact before M6 delivery. I am only speculating and have no fixed info. I have however seen 4 M5s on the road around the Sandton area.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cant see the point in magazines "comparing" a 430 against the M5 as they are completley different cars.

Anway I have the 430 now and the M5 is supposed to arrive in 6 weeks time....... once M5 is run in will get them both down to Bruntingthorpe proving ground for a head to head thrash :1: :1: :1:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
T1000 said:
Cant see the point in magazines "comparing" a 430 against the M5 as they are completley different cars.

Anway I have the 430 now and the M5 is supposed to arrive in 6 weeks time....... once M5 is run in will get them both down to Bruntingthorpe proving ground for a head to head thrash :1: :1: :1:
The point is that the fact that the M5 can compete at all with a 430 demonstrates how extraordinary the M5 is. For many, the M5 represents the ultimate because it combines five-seat practicality with performance that rivals that of the best uncompromising sports cars. Whether the M5 or the 430 "wins" any comparison is less relevant than the fact that the comparison is being made in the first place.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
COOL thanks for the article!

·
Registered
10 Posts

888 said:
Has your friend speced his car? I was promised my M5 in early June the car is still not on the water. I would be suprised if we see any M6 cars by early next year, any idea on price? BMW I am sure will want the M5 to make full impact before M6 delivery. I am only speculating and have no fixed info. I have however seen 4 M5s on the road around the Sandton area.
I have an M5 on order. Offline date 21st July. Delivery date +8 weeks or so brings it to mid September. I should have had the car in June but due to manufacture delays this is the new date for the next batch arriving in SA.

I couldn't wait...so with much phoning, begging etc I managed to find a car and took delivery last week. I have approx. 1000km on the clock now and its starting to loosten up. It is an owsome car and well worth the wait.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

JJ M5 said:
I have an M5 on order. Offline date 21st July. Delivery date +8 weeks or so brings it to mid September. I should have had the car in June but due to manufacture delays this is the new date for the next batch arriving in SA.

I couldn't wait...so with much phoning, begging etc I managed to find a car and took delivery last week. I have approx. 1000km on the clock now and its starting to loosten up. It is an owsome car and well worth the wait.
Well-done! Did you pay a premium? What colour and from which dealer did you get it. more info please mine is on the water.

·
Registered
57 Posts
T1000 said:

430 - Awesome - is it the coupe or convertible? Will have to get the FQ400 down to join you and see if it can't give them both a kicking - upto the M5's limiter anyway. How fast have you had the 430 and still been fully comfortable in it? I'm guessing it'll be more twitchy than the M5 in terms of motorway cruising but I can imagine it'll keep going way past the M5's current top speed without getting too upset!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Things like this just make my wait even harder to deal with.:crying:

·
Registered
10 Posts

888 said:
Well-done! Did you pay a premium? What colour and from which dealer did you get it. more info please mine is on the water.
I paid list price. The car came from BMW SA. They asked me which dealer I wanted it delivered to and I did it through Lyndhurst Auto Melrose Arch. The colour is silver grey with black extended perforated leather, alcantara headlining, vented seats, pdc, aluminium trim, sun roof etc. about 120k worth of extras. I didn't spec the extended leather on my car but I am very happy this car has it and its worth the extra. Vented seats are great too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

JJ M5 said:
I paid list price. The car came from BMW SA. They asked me which dealer I wanted it delivered to and I did it through Lyndhurst Auto Melrose Arch. The colour is silver grey with black extended perforated leather, alcantara headlining, vented seats, pdc, aluminium trim, sun roof etc. about 120k worth of extras. I didn't spec the extended leather on my car but I am very happy this car has it and its worth the extra. Vented seats are great too.
How did you get that right, I made a big stink about my delays and no one at BMW was even remotely interested. I actually saw your car before delivery I must say it looks great. Will you keep it and what happens to the one you originally ordered, I believe you can sell them for over 1 bar (standard speck)? I think we must get togther when mine arives.

·
Registered
10 Posts

888 said:
How did you get that right, I made a big stink about my delays and no one at BMW was even remotely interested. I actually saw your car before delivery I must say it looks great. Will you keep it and what happens to the one you originally ordered, I believe you can sell them for over 1 bar (standard speck)? I think we must get togther when mine arives.
I know the top management at BMW SA including ex MD Ian Robertson who is now with Rolls Royce. I also took delivery of the 1st CSL in SA (no 1 of 64). I am not sure what will happen with my car on order. I have a few friends in line waiting.... I also have an M6 on order and hope to get the 1st one in SA. Maybe I will prefer the M6 and sell the 5. Where did you see my car? at Lyndhurst? I took delivery two weeks ago today. I was at Lyndhurst when they delivered the 1st one...sepang bronze with tan leather & light wood trim - belongs to a friend of mine. I still feel that the CSL is more fun to drive and incredible on the track.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts