BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Just read the test between the M5, Alpina and 535d in Autocar UK. The Alpina get a bit of a slating for it's lack of grip and composure and the M5 come out way on top... I'll add some more info later, but thought I'd let you know that the M5 is still the best car out there!!!

:1:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
Folks,

Just read the test between the M5, Alpina and 535d in Autocar UK. The Alpina get a bit of a slating for it's lack of grip and composure and the M5 come out way on top... I'll add some more info later, but thought I'd let you know that the M5 is still the best car out there!!!

Cheers from 'down under'

Would anyone be kind enough to scan and upload please?

Thanx

Dave

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
Folks,

Hardly surprising we all know Alpina's are just M5 Wannabees...wait for it
WillM5AD

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
willm5ad said:
Hardly surprising we all know Alpina's are just M5 Wannabees...wait for it
WillM5AD
Stop inciting violence in the forum...

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Course, it was interesting to note that here is another journo conceding that the B5 is at least faster in a straight line than an M5, possibly excluding a standing start with launch control in one hand and warranty waiver in the other...

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
l disagree. I've just re-read the article and can't find anything to suggest that. He's too busy worrying about the lack of traction to be concerned by straight line accelaration...!

·
Registered
240 Posts
The bit I lked best was the comment that the 535d could easily keep up with an M5 unless you kept the revs above 6,500!:1:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Heuer said:
The bit I lked best was the comment that the 535d could easily keep up with an M5 unless you kept the revs above 6,500!:1:
I'll have a glass of whatever he was drinking please:cheers:
WillM5AD

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Heuer said:
The bit I lked best was the comment that the 535d could easily keep up with an M5 unless you kept the revs above 6,500!
This may also be true of the 535d against an F1 racer or a sport bike, but also only on the straight. Of course, the 535d would lose against a moped at over 7000rpm, but what's the point? Is it faster or isn't it without these bizarre and meaningless qualifications? Against the M5, the answer is a resounding no.

Tom

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
bernhtp said:
This may also be true of the 535d against an F1 racer or a sport bike, but also only on the straight. Of course, the 535d would lose against a moped at over 7000rpm, but what's the point? Is it faster or isn't it without these bizarre and meaningless qualifications? Against the M5, the answer is a resounding no.

Tom
I don't think his point was the relative performance of the M5 and 535d at over 6500rpm for each, since the diesel would have died by that point. Rather, the point was that unless you cane the M5's engine, it's surprisingly difficult to keep up with a well-driven 535d. Course, why would you want to, with black smoke getting all over your M5's nice shiny new paintwork???

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Interesting article but boy did Alpina get a bashing :(

·
Banned
664 Posts
Very harsh review for the ALPINA :(

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
hythe said:
I don't think his point was the relative performance of the M5 and 535d at over 6500rpm for each, since the diesel would have died by that point. Rather, the point was that unless you cane the M5's engine, it's surprisingly difficult to keep up with a well-driven 535d.
OK, but again, so what? The M5 has an engine and transmission that both love to sing alto and do so effortlessly. This is how it achieves its peformance and the fact that it doesn't do as well grunting at low RPM is pretty irrelevant.

Course, why would you want to, with black smoke getting all over your M5's nice shiny new paintwork???
Thankfully there is no risk of that happening.

Tom

·
Registered
176 Posts
bernhtp said:
OK, but again, so what? The M5 has an engine and transmission that both love to sing alto and do so effortlessly. This is how it achieves its peformance and the fact that it doesn't do as well grunting at low RPM is pretty irrelevant.
Well, what about toodling around town? You gonna crack it out at 7900rpms all the time?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Hollis said:
Well, what about toodling around town? You gonna crack it out at 7900rpms all the time?
It "toodles" quite nicely at 2500 rpm, but I'll double-click the SMG paddle when I want it to go really fast.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stealthm5 said:
surprising as Chris Harris has had a number of Alpinas.
He did make that point and, in fact, stated that he had entered the test with the preconception that the Aplina would win without too much trouble. However, once he drove it he was very surprised by the lack of traction and the ommission of a LSD... It simply didn't feel as sorted as the M5.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts