BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Ive been a member here since 2006 when I first bought my 92 3.6 M5. The car had 70k miles on it when I got it in 2006. I kept it and cared for it until the summer of 2008 when I had to sell it. I was in college, money was tight and the car had been sitting at home not being driven. The car had 80k miles on it when it left my posession.

Ive kept in touch with the gentleman I sold it to over the years. He has put only 3.5k miles on it during his ownership. He installed a new clutch/flywheel 200 miles ago along with the S50 chain tensioner, new transmission, UUC Evo3 and UUC DSSR. The car has been well cared for and all leaks have been remedied. He reported having performed a compression and leakdown test and the Indy reported that the car had the strongest numbers he had ever seen and that the motor's numbers could have passed as those of a new motor.

Last week I made arrangements for its return home. I sent the money and arranged shipping.

The car will be arriving tomorrow afternoon. There are a few things Id like to change. Primarily, the car has been treated to synthetic oil for the past 3 years and 3500 miles. Id like to get it back on good old fashioned dinosaur oil.

Recommendations as what to do with the synthetic that has been sitting in the car for a year with not even 300 miles on it? Obviously I should drain it. What should I put back in? Any special weight to cleanse the motor?

Having not been driven much over the past 3 years, (the majority of those 3k miles having been put on between 2008 and early 2010) is there anything I should address or check out prior to really letting her sing?

Valves are perfectly in spec btw. No worries there.

Tips?

Thanks!

Nic

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Great story of a man and his machine being reunited!!

Sounds like your homework has already been done:M5thumbs:Just redo all the fluids, microfilter plugs an air/oil filters Shim check and you should be good to go

Any reason as to why you dont want synthetic oil?? Why not go for a semi synthetic? Not trying to start another dreaded "oil thread":tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well... Ive heard all sorts of reasons to use planet oil in the cars. Mainly due to the fact that it is less likely to leak than synthetic. Also, lubricity over extended periods 5000+ miles is not important to me as I change the oil almost too frequently, ~2000 miles.

·
10,458 Posts
big ugly thread about it if you're so inclined to read it. In the end, do what you're comfortable with. I took a 140k miler that had run dino all it's life and switched it to castrol tws with no issues/leaks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts