BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone knows about wider anti roll bars for M5 E34 3.6 ???
I think this would decrease body roll

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I just had the Touring rear bars put in last week on my 3.8 saloon. The rear is a litlle bit sharper and a wee bit stiffer now.

I have also ordered stiffer front bars by a guy in Sweden (Vererra Road and Sport) who taylor makes them from a much stiffer steel, a freind rode in a car with both the front and back from Vererra and said the car had a marked difference in the turns.

You could get some HR springs - that would make the handling even better.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just ordered and received sway bars for my beast. They are 27mm front and 20mm rear - both front and rear are adjustable. They are made by a company called Whiteline in Australia who have been around for a long time but mostly do work on Holden racing vehicles and are quite popular with the Subaru crowd. I just happened to stumble on the fact that they make sway bars for almost every BMW model out there - just nobody knew about it. The quality is good, the price is even better and they make the largest adjustable bars out there for the E34 that I have found. You should check them out. I was thinking about a group buy from a distributer here in the states but that is a little ways down the line when I actually get to installing them and taking lots of pictures to show the install. Hope this helps. PM me if you would like any more info. or pics.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
M5sedan said:
I just ordered and received sway bars for my beast. They are 27mm front and 20mm rear - both front and rear are adjustable. They are made by a company called Whiteline in Australia who have been around for a long time but mostly do work on Holden racing vehicles and are quite popular with the Subaru crowd. I just happened to stumble on the fact that they make sway bars for almost every BMW model out there - just nobody knew about it. The quality is good, the price is even better and they make the largest adjustable bars out there for the E34 that I have found. You should check them out. I was thinking about a group buy from a distributer here in the states but that is a little ways down the line when I actually get to installing them and taking lots of pictures to show the install. Hope this helps. PM me if you would like any more info. or pics.
----------------------
Have you installed the sway bars yet?
If so - how is the handling in the turns now?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not yet. This weekend I tested my car on a hill climb course, and thought it went very well, considering it a heavy car and the course was almost second and third gear. I did not prepared my car, did not stiff my konis. Car handled very well. I'll post the chart. What really impressed me was a Lancer EVO VI, WITH AUTRONIC, coil overs, Toyos R888. He was almos 30 sec faster than me.

very impressed

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
MBrasil said:
not yet. This weekend I tested my car on a hill climb course, and thought it went very well, considering it a heavy car and the course was almost second and third gear. I did not prepared my car, did not stiff my konis. Car handled very well. I'll post the chart. What really impressed me was a Lancer EVO VI, WITH AUTRONIC, coil overs, Toyos R888. He was almos 30 sec faster than me.

very impressed
--------------------
Yep I have seen those Lancers in action at track events, if properly tuned they are unbeatable, especially in the wet.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi J

When you fitted the 20mm anti roll bar, was it a difficult job and how did you cope with reconnencting the SLS valve?

Appreciate any tips on how to fit and time it took you.

Thanks

Brian

Jahangeer said:
I just had the Touring rear bars put in last week on my 3.8 saloon. The rear is a litlle bit sharper and a wee bit stiffer now.

I have also ordered stiffer front bars by a guy in Sweden (Vererra Road and Sport) who taylor makes them from a much stiffer steel, a freind rode in a car with both the front and back from Vererra and said the car had a marked difference in the turns.

You could get some HR springs - that would make the handling even better.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
real nice, such an Evo.. bit of a bugger that it has the interior looks of a 1989 nissan sunny and the outside.... well, you decide... ( clearly you are a man of great taste given the fact that you are a e34 owner)

respect those EVOs, but wil never swap ... not in a million years.. Mate of mine owns one of the fastest in Holland, but the door cards, antenna, rear seat, speedo etc make me simply puke.

///M5 schnitzerized

·
Registered
970 Posts
eh?

Sebring NL said:
real nice, such an Evo.. bit of a bugger that it has the interior looks of a 1989 nissan sunny and the outside.... well, you decide... ( clearly you are a man of great taste given the fact that you are a e34 owner)

respect those EVOs, but wil never swap ... not in a million years.. Mate of mine owns one of the fastest in Holland, but the door cards, antenna, rear seat, speedo etc make me simply puke.

///M5 schnitzerized

·
Registered
217 Posts
the way your car feels and handles is dependent on all the parts of the suspension working together. getting the car to corner with less lean can be accomplished in a couple ways - most easiest is adding larger sway bars.

however, spring rates, stiffness of shocks, alignment, width of wheels, size of wheels and tire size can also factor in overall understeer/neutral/oversteer handling.

Sway bars help fine tune the suspension. I have a Suspension Techniques 27mm front bar and 20 mm touring rear bar (not simple to install). The 20mm bar is not adjustable and the car currently still understeers, so I set the front bar on it's softest setting. If I had access to a skidpad, I could compare the 27mm bar to the stock 25mm front bar.

the rest of the suspension was changed to eliminate the SLS.

the point is you should think about the overall package and decide what your goal is. throwing on thicker swaybars will decrease lean, but you also have to be aware if they'll change the balance of the car, too.

I believe 27/20 are the largest made, excluding custom fabrications.

good luck, have fun test driving......

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
yewcorner said:
Hi J

When you fitted the 20mm anti roll bar, was it a difficult job and how did you cope with reconnencting the SLS valve?

Appreciate any tips on how to fit and time it took you.

Thanks

Brian
-----------

I gave it to BMW to do - I haven't got a clue as to how to even start on this particular job. I suppose you would have to at some place along the SLS piping create a stop for the fluid pressure before you disconnect and begin work with the anti-roll bar?!?! Sorry I cannot help you there.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
illjah said:
Can't fault h&R springs that i just got on my '91. Much better ride, and greatly reduced roll.
---------------

I couldn't agree with you more - I just wanted to drive all day when I had these springs put on, especially as I had new edc shocks at the same time!! ouch.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Jahangeer said:
---------------

I couldn't agree with you more - I just wanted to drive all day when I had these springs put on, especially as I had new edc shocks at the same time!! ouch.
yeah, i got new koni's on rears, got the fronts but couldn't get the old shocks out of the legs, so am waiting to get that sorted but will eventually have koni's all round. then need to get the allignment all sorted but its gonna be all good, its so much a more natural ride height for the car i feel.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
illjah said:
yeah, i got new koni's on rears, got the fronts but couldn't get the old shocks out of the legs, so am waiting to get that sorted but will eventually have koni's all round. then need to get the allignment all sorted but its gonna be all good, its so much a more natural ride height for the car i feel.
-------------

yep the gaps between the wheel arch and wheel looks right now in my eyes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts