BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my beast - hate the seats. What is the deal? What am I missing with proper seating position?

I have driven almost every car under the sun and never have an issue with seats from crappy rental cars to fat cushy loungers in my Grand Cherokee. None of them have ever given me a problem.

15 minutes into driving my M5 and my lower back aches like I was hit by a linebacker. I have tried every position and posture under the sun with no success. Anyone else? What is the secret?

-Jeff

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nolift911 said:
I love my beast - hate the seats. What is the deal? What am I missing with proper seating position?

I have driven almost every car under the sun and never have an issue with seats from crappy rental cars to fat cushy loungers in my Grand Cherokee. None of them have ever given me a problem.

15 minutes into driving my M5 and my lower back aches like I was hit by a linebacker. I have tried every position and posture under the sun with no success. Anyone else? What is the secret?

-Jeff
I have to say that my M5 seats are the MOST COMFORTABLE I have ever sat in , especially on long trips. I love the side support and extended seat adjustment:M5thumbs: I am 6' and 185lbs. Do you have an unusual build? How long have you given it?

I'm curious, what seat in what car have you found comfortable??

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've found that it does take a week or two of tweaking to get it right and the settings I use do change from time to time. This is where the seat memory function comes in handy, I can program 3 different configurations. For me, the M5 seats rank in the middle for comfort, with my old XJR having wonderful seats, once did a 12 hr drive straight and my back felt just fine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I first got my XJR my back ached for a week. I thought I'd made a horrible mistake. After that, the seats became extremely comfortable. I think any change take a bit of time to acclimate.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i love my seats. just keep playing with the lumbar support settings.. i haven't gotten that right yet because i dont know how it is supposed to feel. in-out, up-down. but still, the seat feels great to me.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I've got to say I also love the seats. I drove the car back 1,100 miles after I bought it and my back was just fine the entire trip. It does take some adjusting over time to get it perfect. I like how you can adjust the height of the lumbar, not just the lumbar itself.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Nolift911 said:

-Jeff
Just try different positions. Some people like more recline, others more upright. Work the lumbar support as well as the thigh support. Are you too far away and stretching for the wheel? Try moving a little closer. Your wrists should be able to drape over the rim of the wheel with you sitting in your normal driving position. If you get a position that is reasonably comfortable, put it in memory and then use the other positions to remember other settings and compare. It took me a few days, but eventually I found a good position. Only complaint is that the top of the speedo and tach are hard to see when everything else is positioned right.
Regards,
Jerry

·
10,455 Posts
gsfent said:
Only complaint is that the top of the speedo and tach are hard to see when everything else is positioned right.
Regards,
Jerry

Ha, Same here, but nothing important is happening in those speeds/rpm ranges anyway...

After about 20mos of M5 ownership, i still fool around with my seat adjustment. The lumbar never seems just right to me. Like others have said, spend some time fooling around with it, when it seems decent, program it in the memory then you can fine tune it from there, on the road.
Good Luck!
Mike

ps: we got rid of my wifes 02 525iT because she just couldn't get comfortable with the sports seats. You could probably find a fellow e39 member with "comfort seats" to swap, I had them in my 528 and they were extremely comfortable (as advertised).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nolift911 said:

-Jeff
I've found a comfortable position however I wanted the seat to go farther back. I found on www.bmwtips.com that you can remove a clip in the seat rail track (the inside rail) that, once removed, will give you another inch or so of legroom. Once I removed that I was all set. I don't believe there is any risk of harm to the seat mechanism by removing the clip and extending the seat "too far back"?

You'll dial in the right setting.

Later, Mike

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Ha Ha!! I have Comfort Seats with Active Arse Massage - very nice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Ha Ha!! I have Comfort Seats with Active Arse Massage - very nice :thumbsup:
Hey, stop rubbing it in, or we are going to do a GB on the active seats, and draft you as the co-ordinator!! :1: cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
86 Posts
you may want to put a small pillow behind your lower back if you can't adjust the lower back seat to your liking. Less than one month after I got my car, I took it on a 5 hour drive (usually a 6 hour drive) to Las Vegas, no back ache like my other car.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have driven my M5 6 hours non-stop with no problems and felt as fesh as when I started. The only thing I've noticed is the firm narrow area for the hips. I take my wallet out of the back pocket on long trips to keep it from digging in.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'm 6'5", 215lbs and just drove 8 hrs yesterday - 4 out and then 4 back - have almost 98,000 miles on the car and must say that they are very comfortable for me.

Like the others have said, keep tweaking it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
errr, were you properly buckled up while you were throwing the car around?

·
Registered
936 Posts
nolift, I find the m5 seats (I think they are recaro) to be the best seats. I love the lumbar support that can be adjusted vertically and the thigh support. Perhaps you can give it some more time. My 99 XJR seats on the other hand have short seats, makes me feel like a fat guy sitting on a park bench.

Kosmo

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nolift911 said:

-Jeff
I'm with you on this one too! My issue is with the seatbottom bolsters.They're simply too narrow and I find myself sitting on the ends of them...especially the right one.It presses into my thigh.
So I did some "aggressive" alterations.I won't share the crude method I took but I'll say it involved some protection to the seat cover and severe blows until the bolsters met with my thighs comfort approval :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Greg,

How much did you get the frame to move ? I too find the edges to be a "wee" bit to tight. If I don't pay attention my clutch leg falls asleep while resting on the upper edge of the seat.

Do you have any pics that show a comparison of before and after the mod ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
El_Mono said:
Greg,

How much did you get the frame to move ? I too find the edges to be a "wee" bit to tight. If I don't pay attention my clutch leg falls asleep while resting on the upper edge of the seat.

Do you have any pics that show a comparison of before and after the mod ?
Sorry..no pics but I'd say I easily manipulated (read bent) the two bolster "wings outward by an inch each.Although I still somewhat sit on the bolsters I fit better between.You see the issue for me is the width of the base of the seat between the rise of the bolsters is too narrow.

I'm a svelt 6' - 230 lbs.

PS...Also hate how the steering wheel in my fav position all the way down and out conceal the speedo/tach :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts