BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:crying:
M5 and M6 production stopped due to gearbox problems.
my car which i was supposed to get within this month got delayed to the end of next month.
grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dubai M5 said:
:crying:
M5 and M6 production stopped due to gearbox problems.
my car which i was supposed to get within this month got delayed to the end of next month.
grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr
I know... our car are delayed nine weeks!! Will get it in August..grrrrrrr

·
Registered
430 Posts
this was planned!!!

only 400 m5 and m6 were delivered from the 9th till 18th and only to the longest waiting customers.

we got ours on saturday and we were told that we get a new gearbox when available, earliest point the drive-in-check @ 2tkm...

·
Registered
540 Posts
max_m5 said:
this was planned!!!

only 400 m5 and m6 were delivered from the 9th till 18th and only to the longest waiting customers.

we got ours on saturday and we were told that we get a new gearbox when available, earliest point the drive-in-check @ 2tkm...

so there is actually something wrong with the gearbox ? not just that they cannot make a part of it at the moment ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
max_m5 said:
this was planned!!!

So the early gearboxes have a fault? Any word from the Swedish woners on this? Interesting...might not want to pick up a car and then have to send it back in for a new gearbox! My car is to be ready this week.

·
Registered
943 Posts
There has been no words about any faults with the gearboxes.

I think max m5 has misunderstood this. There is only a problem with the manufacturing ( casting ) of the gearbox housing.

I hope I´m right about this?

·
Registered
430 Posts
cidair said:
There has been no words about any faults with the gearboxes.

I think max m5 has misunderstood this. There is only a problem with the manufacturing ( casting ) of the gearbox housing.

I hope I´m right about this?
we were definitely told that the gearbox has to be updated. the tool with which the SMG was manufactured is faulty (thats what the engineer told us, not the our salesman)

·
Registered
943 Posts
They told me that it was the casting tool for the gearbox housing that broke.

After this occured the production was stopped.

So no cars that were produced was affected.

BMW wouldn´t install a faulty gearbox on any car!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
max_m5 said:
we were definitely told that the gearbox has to be updated. the tool with which the SMG was manufactured is faulty (thats what the engineer told us, not the our salesman)
Do you mean engineer (= Diplomingeniur), or technichian (FZG-Techniker), or service advisor (Serviceberater), please?

David

·
Registered
218 Posts
If this is true - then I hope they can sort this out soon. My car is expected for delivery in the UK late June which I am greatly looking forward to. This feels like a re-run of the E46 M3 UK launch/custimer delivery fiasco again.grrrrrrr

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I have been asked dozens of times why I haven't placed my order yet.

"This is exactly why." Things like this create doubt and worry and give first up owners a sick feeling in the belly.

Of Course BMW will come good and fix it all, and if there are faulty boxes they would be replaced free of charge.

But its that horrible feeling in the gut, that detracts from all the excitment of the new beast.

I admire the Patience that the Guys who jump in to buy the First one off the line.

It doesn't matter what vehicle it is, from any manufacturuer, there are always a few teething problems.

I'm too impatient, and get annoyed easily at these things, so it better for me to hang back a bit until they get the first lot of problems soughted.

Its the not knowing that makes me uncomfortable.

Guys who already have there cars, You were first to experience the thrill of new ownership. No one can take that away from you. And in time, all will be good.

I applaud your patience. cherrsagai Someone had to jump in and drive these things to find out where the weak links were. :flag:

·
Registered
72 Posts
One would assume BMW will continue producing the M5 less the SMG Gearbox & retro fit it when the casting is replaced.

I would have also thought that whomever is contracted to produce the housing might have had a stockpile before it broke.

Either way I'm hoping it will only delay orders due to be produced in the next 4-8 weeks(Still not nice I know) & that there will be a quick catch up once the casing is back on track as I have a July build scheduled.

Steve..

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Steve Newell said:
One would assume BMW will continue producing the M5 less the SMG Gearbox & retro fit it when the casting is replaced.

I would have also thought that whomever is contracted to produce the housing might have had a stockpile before it broke.

Either way I'm hoping it will only delay orders due to be produced in the next 4-8 weeks(Still not nice I know) & that there will be a quick catch up once the casing is back on track as I have a July build scheduled.

Steve..
No, both your suggestions cost a lot of money. If there are no castings, then BMW has no part to produce the car with. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to assemble cars without gearbox housings.

Manufacturing nowadays doesn't keep a lot of inventory of finished goods. It costs money to make parts and 'stockpile' them. I doubt the supplier had many parts in inventory, since that just represents cash to them that they haven't collected.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts