BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Six month ago (1-20-05) to the date, a lady ran a red light and totalled my beloved M5. I'm glad to report that we now have full closure.

My insurance paid in full to total my car. They are subrogating the other side and suing the lady for recovery. I got a very fair value from them, mainly because of the pristine condition of my car.

My soft tissue injuries lingered for four months, but have completely healed in the last two months. Thus I settled with her insurance. They paid my deductible, loss of use, time loss, medical, pain and inconvenience. I am happy with the final settlement. The case is now closed and I'm moving on with my life.

As for the M5 replacement (you folks may puke, but...), we bought a Lexus RX330: 4WD, NAV, Mark Levinson stero, entertainment package, the works. It is a very pampering car, very safe and air-bags everywhere. Most important, my wife loves the car. We got an excellent deal through the net, 10% off MSRP, so we picked it up 10 days ago. I still have my 1992 SC300 and I believe this RX330 will last me a good long time as well. It is an excellent daily driver.

As for BMWs, I may still pick up an E39 some day. If I have lots of $$$$ and time then, it could well be a 2003 M5. If $ is short and I don't feel like spending too much time with the dealer, then I'll go for a 530i. I do have a soft spot in my heart for the E39s. Sadly, I see more recent threads here dealing with problems with the cars (mostly sensors and electronics) and that's what worries me about an aging M5. In the mean time, my RUF BTR will be my fun ride.

I'll still visit, but I'm not the prolific poster I once was. If there is anything I can contribute I won't hesistate to chime in. This remains a wonderful place and I have lots of great friends here. Love you all.

So good night and please enjoy your M5 in great health.

CP

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm glad to hear that your happy with the settlement. It's seems like it was just a couple months ago that this accident accured. Man, time fly's.

All BMW models are experiencing problems. Don't buy one for reliability because those days are long gone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Life is short, enjoy it!

·
Registered
517 Posts
CP -

RX330/Ruf is a very nice combo. I share your sentiment, I also miss my e39. But life goes on...

Very glad to hear you're all healed up.

Best Wishes always,

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I am very glad to hear that it all worked out in the end for you Pong. It might not be the mighty E39 M5, but the RX will treat you right. Hope you are back to being 100%, and hopefully your great posts continue, even if not in past quantities.
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I was but an M5 owner for a month and a board member for about 4 months when you posted about the accident. At that time I was glad that none were seriously injured, and have enjoyed your occasional post about what car would replace the M5.

Closure is good; I'm glad you have yours.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Pong, we are all so grateful that you are completely healed. The months have just flown by; it seems like it was just a few week ago. We are all enrichened by your presence here and we're glad that you will keep in touch, even if you did buy that L... LLL.. LL... Lex.... I can't bring myself to say it! :crying:

·
10,458 Posts
as long as you still attend our occasional lunches, a lexus is ok, i suppose...
Glad all is final and healed from the incident.
Mike

·
Registered
691 Posts
Pong,

Thanks for the update, I too long for the days of a trouble free Honda or Toyota, whether it was a Legend, an ES or an NSX, those cars were in the shop for only one reason, wear items. I wish I could say the same about the M5. Oh well, life teaches us that the decisions we make are merely trade-offs, be it money, reliability, time or fun . . .

I wish you and your family only the best, nothing is more important;

Kevin

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Folks,

Thanks for the kind words and wishes. Mike, when I attend the Bay Area M5 lunches, I'll bring the humble RUF. I have too much respect for you folks.

For what I got from the insurance, I can easily have gotton an 03 M5, but we decided to get a car both me and my wife can both enjoy. In all honesty, the RX330 is an excellent car, for what it aims at. It certainly lacks the M5 punches, but that's not what Lexus aims to deliver. But it's quite, smooth, comfortable, user-friendly, and offers peace of mind. One thing for sure, I'll certainly get fewer tickets than the M5. I just finished my latest driving school. Nabbed doing 91 in a 65 MPH zone on Highway 156 east of Gilroy (by a CHP going the other direction :(). Even my CHP 11-99 foundation plate did not save me. I was so ticked by the tickets I went out and bought a V-1. Well, live and learn.

Yes, I'm totally pain free these days. On very stressful days my neck/jaw still tense up, but I got a handle on it through meditation. Yes, life is quite good.

CP

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
chunpng said:
Mike, when I attend the Bay Area M5 lunches, I'll bring the humble RUF.
hiha :haha: hiha :haha: Humble, he says :hihi:
It will be great to have some variety at the meets!

chunpng said:
Yes, I'm totally pain free these days. On very stressful days my neck/jaw still tense up, but I got a handle on it through meditation. Yes, life is quite good.

CP
Good to hear that everything reached a conclusion, and most importantly that you're pain free.

Enjoy the Lexus! Sounds like a nice ride...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
chunpng said:
On very stressful days my neck/jaw still tense up, but I got a handle on it through meditation. Yes, life is quite good.CP
CP Hope you spell meditation R U F F. Great to 'hear' from you again and to know that you are well.

Ken
ps did you ever get that part you needed?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Good to hear Pong! I'm glad that it is settled. looking forward to seeing you on one of our drives in the RX. Of course, You will have to paint it one of the ///M5 colors...

hiha :1: hiha :1: hiha :1:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kwalls said:
CP Hope you spell meditation R U F F. Great to 'hear' from you again and to know that you are well.

Ken
ps did you ever get that part you needed?
Ken,

I did get the part I needed from CEC here in CA. Thanks.

Unfortunately, RUF has just the opposite effect as meditation. My heart rate doubles when I think about that thing. Not a good thing when I'm trying to relax.

CP

·
Registered
621 Posts
Pong, I didn't realize you were banged up in the accident. I'm sorry to hear that but I'm glad you're getting better.

I can understand you going for another vehicle but if the M5 was not so bad with sensors, etc. and resulting torque/power loss would you have been more willing to buy another M5? I've been having similar issues and secretly long for a car that only asks for oil changes and tune ups.

I'm glad to hear that you'll still be a part of the board.:M5thumbs:

Cheers!<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:11.25pt; height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:DOCUME~1BASILH~1LOCALS~1Tempmsohtml11clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.m5board.com/ubb/biggrin.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->:D<!--[endif]-->

1 - 20 of 36 Posts