BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving through a construction zone last week, I slowed to avoid hitting an obsticle and was stuck from behind by another vehicle causing $2,800 damage to the left rear of my M5. It has been established that I was not at fault so the other guy's insurance is paying, but my number one concern is whether this incident will impact the value of my car since it is no longer "original." Any thoughts on this?

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Probably not, so long as its cosmetic damage. If its mechanical, I dont know. My rule of thumb, and it might be wrong, is if the front is mechanically damaged- get rid of it b/c it will never be right. just make sure when the bumper is repainted that they do it right and theres no overspreay- a dead giveaway for repair work.

ME

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes a wreck always takes away from the value of your car. I would ask the other insurance company to get you a new car. If not find out how much it will take away from the value of your car and make them pay.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey, try not to worry too much. $2800 is minor damage. Think of it this way: if this was a 528 would you mind? Almost all the same panels. You can check your insurance contract, but you likely don't have much to say when the damage is cosmetic. Take it to a good body shop, and it will look like new. If you inform a potential buyer about the type of damage, some will want to pay less, some won't care. Just get it fixed and enjoy the car... Good luck! Dan

·
Registered
18 Posts
$2800 damage, I wouldn't worry about it too much. When I had E34 M5 in US(that was 1994), I had two minor accidents causing about $2000 repair each(once on front and left rear). $2800 repair is nothing considering the cost of parts and labor. Mine was just replacing bumpers and all that with some painting and labor, they did cost a lot(about $900 for bumper parts alone without fog lights!).
More importantly, when I sold the car, the guy in the dealer was not even interested in asking what kind of accident it was because it was so minor.
Replacing a door or hood can be something, but bumpers?
Just make sure they do good job on your car.
Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts