BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the advice of several board members and contacted AI Designs about fitting an A/V system to the car. Most important of all was the install had to look good and we had to keep the stock head unit. They did this in November, but I am just now getting to posting the pics. I am very impressed with everything they did. Highly recommended- you can see them at: http://www.aidesign.com/

Amplification by JL audio- these amps not only are small and sound great, but can accept the higher than normal BMW head unit line level signals.

Heres the trunk afterwards- I told them I wanted to keep as much trunk space as possible- Id say I kept 90% of it.

heres the DVD changer- note they made a custom enclosure- looks nearly stock.

Heres the Alpine controller- this controls XM and DVD. Again, note the nice fitting they made. I use a TEC cupholder now.

heres the XM antenna

heres the transmitter for the wireless headphones

Heres the IR receiver for the DVD changer

Heres the remote control for the DVD changer. I used some velcro to keep it in place.

·
Registered
377 Posts
:thumbsup:

That looks great, the interiour basically looks stock which is always great.

Very nicely integrated

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Thats three Dumbos :D And I also see a Volvo 760!

Looks almost BMW Individual like! Great idea with the IR headphones. There are also radio frequency headphones for those who dont want the IR transponder.

·
Registered
57 Posts
IR Headphones for the back? I never would have thought of that. Keeps things nice and quiet though I guess if you had kids back there or something.

Nice install job overall

Buzz

·
Registered
490 Posts
Great looking install, very stealthy (except the video monitors, but can't do much about that). Also, I;ve got to say - that caramel looks awesome - looks so classy.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
How did you/they integrate the DVD changer into the stock system? Via the BMW tuner module or other? Did you use the Nav-TV components?

Very nice, BTW.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Very nice !!! It's always nice to see installs which preserve the stock look and show the installers took pride in their work.
There aren't too many of these shops around.
I had my system installed at Sound in Motion in Boston and they've done an outstanding job. My requirements have been simillar to yours, keep the stock look, preserve the factory function/features such as headunit, board computer, telephone integration and also still use the retractable loading floor on my X5.

For those interested I've a writeup of my install at http://www.tru64.org/~jmh/x5/Stereo/

- Jan

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
wow jerry i never thought you would go all out like this.....
good job!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Very impressive setup. Great that you took the effort to maintain the quality.

The ultimate answer for " ARE WE THERE YET" ?

Al

·
Registered
654 Posts
menthusiast,

thats an awesome install; not because you packed your car with neon colored amps:) but because thats one of the cleanest most professional looking installs ive ever seen. you really chose a great installer, its very rare to see such a well designed and *clean* installation. how large is the improvement in terms of sound?

ernie:)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Jerry:

First of all ... Very nice looking job. Really Clean and Looks "Almost" Stock.

A coupe of questions:

If you had a Rear Brace (i.e. Dinan) installed ... Would the amps have interferred with it?

How long did this install take and did you do everything at the same time?

It does appear that you do not have the M-Audio option becasue I do not see those 10" Subs in the rear deck photo ... Did you replace any of the Stock Speakers and if YES ... With what and your thoughts?

If NOT ... Are you very happy with the stock sound?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts