BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am planning to sell my M Compact and try to get my selves a E39 M5.

Since the tax on such cars are so cracy in Norway I have to go for a 99 model. Still app 50 000 US$ in tax ouich + 25% tax on the price of the car.

Now, I know many of you have had 99 and later upgraded to 01 and newer models.

What are the differences, if any.... No thinking about visual changes, as I am familiar with those.

I know all are rated same Hp, but I belive I read here that someone that had upgraded from 99 to later models felt it was stronger. That could offcourse be related to normal variances in power.....

I have looked at a 99 car, looked nice with app 45000 miles in it.
When I started it, I notices a strange rattling sound for the fist sec or two....
Alost like something had to be filled up or build some pressure.

SInce i have read lot about the VANOS problem I am currious if that noice could indicate some problems.
The car is recentaly been at a BMW shop to get an upgrade on software on the engine ( does that normaly change anything you could feel ? )

Any input is appriciated. :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
The biggest mechanical problem you'll face between 99/00 and 01-03 models is that, with 99/00 MY's, the VANOS unit in most cases have been replaced or require replacing. One other minor problem is that with 99 and 00 cars, the MAFS differ slightly from the 01+ models. I've noticed that the MAFS in 99/00 MY's tend to go out around 65,000 miles. In the US, the MAFS are typically covered under warranty until 70/80,000 miles. I'm not sure if your country has the same regulations. If not, each MAFS will run you around $250 USD.

There are a host of other minor problems such as replacing CPS sensors and 02 sensors but those aren't specific to 99/00 MY's.

Most differences are cosmetic...

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Good Erik, Im looking for a 2001 M5 this autumn as well (depending on VCLK (Nasdaq) stock :1:

Good luck on your search. Why not buy a small flat in Sweden in the countre (€4000) and register yourself and thre car there? Or just register one of your kids
and then register the M5 on them.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
I have a 99 model M5, and i have that rattling sound when i crank her up. NORMAL!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have a Dec 99 build, now almost 80k from new - the startup rattle can be cured by the addition of an oil accumulator, a well known fix. Other than that there's very litle difference - I have driven several later build cars and noticed nothing different.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gus said:
I have a Dec 99 build, now almost 80k from new - the startup rattle can be cured by the addition of an oil accumulator, a well known fix. Other than that there's very litle difference - I have driven several later build cars and noticed nothing different.
Got more info on that ?

Thanks guys for input :cheers:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Erik said:
Got more info on that ?

Thanks guys for input :cheers:
It's called a "vanos oil accumulator kit". Good dealers should be familiar with it but I might be able to find the part number used on my car if not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine sounds like a diesel when I start it, after a second or two it gets better, but still sounds kind of diesel-like on idle even if warm.

Go for it!

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Gus said:
It's called a "vanos oil accumulator kit". Good dealers should be familiar with it but I might be able to find the part number used on my car if not.
please do! sounds useful!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kjell said:
Mine sounds like a diesel when I start it, after a second or two it gets better, but still sounds kind of diesel-like on idle even if warm.

Go for it!
Hi Kjell and welcome to the board. :cheers:

How many km do your M5 have ?

Got any pics of it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Erik said:
Hi Kjell and welcome to the board. :cheers:

How many km do your M5 have ?

Got any pics of it?
Thanks, Erik.

It has 58tKm on it (not driven in the winter until this year).

You can find it for sale on www.autodb.no but that's just because my wife thinks it's too expensive and she "forced" me to try to sell it. But I will NOT sell it (if I can avoid it!).

Kjell

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kjell said:
Thanks, Erik.

It has 58tKm on it (not driven in the winter until this year).

You can find it for sale on www.autodb.no but that's just because my wife thinks it's too expensive and she "forced" me to try to sell it. But I will NOT sell it (if I can avoid it!).

Kjell

To bad................ and I have seen your car. I had a feeling it was yours. Not that many of them on Norway...............

·
Registered
8 Posts
kjell said:

Go for it!
Dear Kjell, my '99 beast also had the diesel like sound when running on idle. Had the stealership check the Vanos. Everything sounds ok now.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
klojo said:
Dear Kjell, my '99 beast also had the diesel like sound when running on idle. Had the stealership check the Vanos. Everything sounds ok now.

Good luck!!
Do you know what they did to the Vanos ?

Rgds,
Kjell

·
Registered
8 Posts
kjell said:
Do you know what they did to the Vanos ?

Rgds,
Kjell
I was afraid you were going to ask me that question! :3:
I'll try to contact the dealership. Have you been to to a BMW dealership?

BFN.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Kjell,
My Norwegian wife loves the M5, thank God---not too many women drive them, so she gets her share of attention in Honolulu. Norgeiron

·
Registered
767 Posts
BlueBomber said:
The biggest mechanical problem you'll face between 99/00 and 01-03 models is that, with 99/00 MY's, the VANOS unit in most cases have been replaced or require replacing.

Most differences are cosmetic...
Don't think so as I've seen no correlation. The only difference that I know of is the addition of the vanos oil accumulator that started on 2000 mid production, and is retrofitted by dealers in the U.S. on a complaint only basis (the instructions state the it has no effect on the operation/life of the VANOS, only quiets it on cold startup). The addition consists of the device and a modification to the wiring harness in the engine compartment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts