BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I am from Europe, but I have a E60 M5 US-spec "project" which has no engine or gearbox. Original manual 6-speed car. Engine I can source, also flywheel-clutch etc are easy, but the gearbox is a unicorn... I have read, people successfully use the E9X manual transmission and by looking at photos - they should yes bolt up to S85.

These are "almost" interchangable I understand.

E60 M5 6-speed manual gearbox, BMW product no. and code
23002283151 GS6-53BZ - THGR
23002283150 GS6-53BZ - HGR

E9X M3 6-speed manual gearbox, BMW product no. and code
23002283601 GS6-53BZ - TJGC
23002283600 GS6-53BZ - JGC

However, the M3 gearbox has a separate oil pump on the right side of the transmission and oil cooler.
The M5 has no oil cooling system for transmission, right?

Can someone point me in the right direction - would it be OK to use a M3 transmission and not hook up the oil pump or just block off where it attaches or should I try hooking it up. Or am I wrong and the M5 also has some transmission cooler, but I just have not found this info on realoem nor photos... ? :)

Or, if anyone has a M5 6-speed box they would be willing to sell me, I am interested!

E60 M5 6-speed photo:

E9X M3 6-speed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I have seen now the post here about using the M3 gearbox. It can be used without the cooler, just leaving the pump in place and modifing the oil lines. Has anyone succeeded in actually running the pump triggered by a thermostat and placing a cooler somewhere? Or is there a kit avaialble to blank off the cooler lines and/or oil pump if I were to choose not to use them.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Yes. You can use the s65 transmission. I had my shop fabricate blanks for the cooler lines, in case I decide to add a cooler at a later date.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Looks like we are down to 1362 of the manual M5's in the US with this one and the gray 08 both going to Europe!
LOL...awhile back, there was an Interlagos Blue 6MT that ended up on Copart. We are at least at 1361 in North America.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C4RACER - I am afraid there are a lot more already salvaged and/or in EU

1 - 8 of 8 Posts