BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am happy too see other e60 M5 6MT owners with so much passion. I've spent many many hours wrenching and replacing parts in my 2007, now 13 years old w/ 70k+ miles and enjoyed every minute. A failed alternator, idle actuator, throttle assembly, fuel pump, fuel injectors, coil packs, O2 sensors (275D), clutch, the dreaded DSC Hydraulic Unit (5DF0 & 5DF1 with ABS error on dash...see modulemaster.com), belts, fluid replace (often and ahead of BMW recommendations), washer pump, headlight washer sprayers, etc. About to tackle a brake overhaul and currently replacing lots of seals, such as oil cooler, cooling hose connections, and a power steering line to fix the drips and drops that started. Yes, it a bunch of stuff, but this is an extreme BMW and my daily driver so its expected. Garaged sometimes but not always. Its a superb daily driver that's a thrill to motivate my commute to work or get groceries with lots of room to fit things and people. It is truly a beast and a workhorse one in the same. A perfect blend of practical and power.
I boast no mods and spend my dollars keeping my m5 fresh. Often erroring on the side of "replace-it" before it breaks for known issues or signs of premature failure. With pricey parts, more-so as time goes on (a least for oem or performance), such as the VANOS solenoid ($$$ Yikes!) or rod bearings which will fail sooner or later. So thank goodness for the lack of hydraulics and extra parts associated with the SMG. No thank you. Replacing just the clutch in our 6MT is quick, with no tuning aftermath, and far less costly. And with so much obtainable software and a old laptop you can code, fix, and update just about anything on these cars. Who could ask for more!
So keep your 6MT gem. I'm confident by changing fluids early and often, and fixing those leaks and faults soonest these cars will stand the test of time, both in enjoyment, miles, and usefullness.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Congrats on your first post after only 8 years! lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes....better late than never. Not too many e60 M5 6MT specific posts so nice to see content that's more relevant.
Cold_m3, you have a gorgeous car, love the updated rims, and front bumper lip (I just added mine). I too own a 2007 Interlagos Blue (Sepang Bronze interior w/ black carpets). Sweet combo, for sure.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Does anyone have info about the 6MT gearbox overheat warning level, I mean at what temperature does the warning and cut of engine speed occur? I am going to use the E9X manual transmission, run a seperate cooler and possibly use the right side oil drain plug for a thermo-switch to activate the transmission mounted oil pump - just not sure what temperature thermo switch to choose. If anyone has done this, where did you tap into etc?
I would not add a cooler, in my case the warning is welcome on hot days to alert me to let m5 cool off and have cold drink.

as soon as I stop I can smell gear oil vapors not transmission oil, thus believe the differential to be at risk of damage due to overheating.
My brake rotors show to be 680 degrees F thus wheel bearing grease at risk of being cooked.

My aluminum rims at the tire bead flange are then at 190 F thus tire bead damage at risk
My inside rear tire shoulder is 15 degrees F higher than outside shoulder, very strange on a 23 turn circuit.

My Theory is that the power under acceleration is concentrated on the small inner portion of tire contact patch due to load shift squat increasing the static camber of - 2.0 degrees to something like - 4.0 degrees.
An unknown amount of tire spin is also involved at heating up rear tires

(In fact on an engine dyno I had extreme blistering on inner tire rib along with inner sidewall failure soon after.)

All this only happens after 30 to 45 minutes of overdriving the m5 on a hot day.

It never happens in the typical typical 20 to 25 minute HPDE sessions

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought this car a few weeks ago, paid a good amount less than their asking price of course. I got rid of my 06 SMG, I fixed my PLCD only to have the SMG motor bite the dust 500 miles later. Sequential was fun and the aggressive S5 and S6 shifts made me giggle like a kid, but I saw the writing on the wall with my SMG problems starting up. Every other day I see a new SMG problem thread and although I'm alright with troubleshooting and fixing, it just seemed to me the 6MT was the way to go for trans longevity and enjoyability. I didn't buy this car to be the absolute fastest in a straight line and save a tenth here and there in drag races, there are better cars for that. Nor did I buy it to be a daily driver. So I set out hunting for a 6 spd in the same color combo as my old 06, which was IB/Silverstone. Options were... limited. This one was a little rough but ran, basically no service records. No record of bearings. And it was in limp mode with TA codes when I bought it haha. Fixed the TA's and just finished up DIYing the bearings. Went with Lang Racing ACL's and ARP bolts like I did on my last car. Bearings had been done before because I found paint marks on the bolts and the bearings were 702/703 shells. No idea how long ago they were done, though I'm guessing somewhere around 40-50k ago based on the wear. They were due again so I'm glad did it. I'm about to make a post in the RB picture thread. Vanos pump gear teeth still looked fine so I left the pump be, I'll probably replace it somewhere down the line just to reset the clock but I'm not stressing it right now. I still have plenty of cosmetic things to take care of but overall I'm happy to have joined the 6MT S85 club.

141 - 145 of 145 Posts