BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
looks like i veered off topic in answering previous question, I welcome moderator to move post to appropriate threads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone have info about the 6MT gearbox overheat warning level, I mean at what temperature does the warning and cut of engine speed occur? I am going to use the E9X manual transmission, run a seperate cooler and possibly use the right side oil drain plug for a thermo-switch to activate the transmission mounted oil pump - just not sure what temperature thermo switch to choose. If anyone has done this, where did you tap into etc?

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
I've read quite a bit about the gearbox overheating, 6MT. Is this a thing of the past and was fixed with SW update maybe? E60 M5 Manual Transmission Overheating?
If you read to the end of the thread you referenced, I am post #48. The picture in my post in that thread was the temp in the shaded garage at the track. I've tracked my 6MT quite a bit over the last 8 years and never overheated my transmission -- even with ambient track temps north of 110F/43C.

With that said, after 150,000+ miles, I am now running a e9x m3 transmission with the plumbing for the cooler closed off. Subsequently, I've run my new "coolerless" e9x transmission at the track, without overheating as well.

I guess I should post my experience/upgrade here too:

·
Registered
424 Posts
nice. mispriced 6MTs come up every now and then from dealers, that's how I scored my first!
but on close inspection, 175k miles is alot, but wonderful color, the silverstone leather really wears poorly/shows dirt well.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
IMO 175,000 is not a lot of miles for a 6-speed, mine is sitting at 159,000 miles and fiftytwoeighty is at about 169,000 miles.

I think we have a lot more left in them.

nice. mispriced 6MTs come up every now and then from dealers, that's how I scored my first!
but on close inspection, 175k miles is alot, but wonderful color, the silverstone leather really wears poorly/shows dirt well.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
IMO 175,000 is not a lot of miles for a 6-speed, mine is sitting at 159,000 miles and fiftytwoeighty is at about 169,000 miles.

I think we have a lot more left in them.
Yup. I’m sitting at 170,000 during this “stay-cation”.

With that said, I know exactly how much I put into my car to have it mechanically- better-than-factory-fresh.

Cosmetically, she’s got some salt and pepper!
BA339A68-C15E-4783-B838-56F2A6666820.jpeg

·
Registered
424 Posts
Initially thought the mileage was sub 100k, that would have made this a nice deal. However, given the mileage and asking price, I don’t think it was mispriced as an SMG. In fact with that nice color, stick, and it’s an LCI. That’s solid initial asking price, probably calculated very specifically. This will likely need another RB change unless it got it within the last 30-50k miles. Also could need a clutch and flywheel, all depends on whether there’s paperwork.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If one is set on a 6-sp one cannot be choosy.
At least if one has a bunch of problems to fix one has a better chance to recoup sunk costs

My words of wisdom after decades of buying at least 30 used cars is that in the lower price range ; 90% of the selling motivation is a noticeable change in car operation that are tell tales of a severe financial hit. Thus seller is dodging a bullet by unloading quickly at reduced price.

The crafty ones put lipstick on pig and sell for high enough price to attract more trusting buyers

In the last month it seems a half dozen m5’s on m5board have serious issues right after purchase.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
From the honest Seller perspective selling an m5 is not a fun experience

Regarding the Engineer I bought the 6-speed m5 from with over $30,000 of documented work done to it during his 120,000 mile ownership.

The offers He got on Craig’s list were around $12,000 to 13,000 by Kids telling him that is all the money they got.

Being a matter of fact Engineer his reply to them was priceless:

“If that is all the money you got this car is not for you” LOL

the implication is if one does not have the time or skills to wrench on m5’s one better have 6-figure plus salary.

i hate selling cars to general public thus recently one of my low mileage most reliable cars were sold to a dealer for cash when I had to downsize my fleet.

Trade in can be wierd as well since in 2 cases the end buyer found out to contact me, and visited me often to ask questions, I jokingly said I have to start charging consulting fees.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
From the honest Seller perspective selling an m5 is not a fun experience
I can’t stand listing a car.

IF I ever sell my 6MT, it would be a private transaction and not a listing. I could only sell it to the guys at OMS or an enthusiast. There is already a waitlist at OMS to buy my e60, should I decide to sell.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My 1st 6MT is now 25 months old. I considered it in 8/10 condition, it was driven year round in Boston so that was the compromise, I’m actually impressed by the corrosion performance of the body though. I was dead set against rust belt cars. But the Chevy dealer listed it with no pics and a 7 speed Manual. 85k miles under 20k. No paperwork no history, other than old owner wanted a corvette. I was wrenching yesterday and saw I have 2 BMW TAs with 2015 date codes, but far too many missing or wrong fasteners, and torn underbody panels. That is the real indicator of “immaculate” condition or not. I’d love to look underneath one of theses 30-40k mileage cars.
I already knew I’d have to sink in a lot of money since all M cars are high maintenance. For ordinary ppl (and SMG owners) the cost to lease a new M5 is probably cheaper than owning an E60 M5 out of warranty and not being able to fix your car. I think it was Doug Demuro or Hoovie that said something like you know that the guy driving one of these M5s is either broke or rich. My recent SMG made me realize how true that is. Just got a warranty exchange for the AGM battery that was bought by prior owner 1 yr ago exactly. Yes I have an AGM trickle Charger on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a question in regards to DSC in our 6 speed m5's.. I got it coded about a month ago and decided to try to make the wheels spin from a standstill.. Didnt work and It got really choppy as if the traction control was still being applied (dsc off light was on).. So I thought maybe I was missing something in the update and ill talk to the coder. No response so i decided to take the car in the backroads and see if I can do some donuts. Sure enough traction was off and I was doing donuts but it still felt like some of the power was cutting out. Also, the car still wont do any standstill launches even with a little tire spin.. It just keeps chopping and "dsc" or what feels like dsc keeps cutting in. Was there an update to where DSC would fully come off for the 6 speed? I had no problems with standstill launches in my SMG.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@cold m3 So instead of the DSC button I have the EDC button that’s located by my shifter. I have to manually set DSC off through iDrive.. It just comes off when I click the M button.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The offers He got on Craig’s list were around $12,000 to 13,000 by Kids telling him that is all the money they got.

Being a matter of fact Engineer his reply to them was priceless:

“If that is all the money you got this car is not for you” LOL
I would be honest and had my E60 M5 6MT on craigslist at one time and then realized I dont know wth I was doing wanting a brandnew GS-F ( although a pretty good option now that they got supercharger kits out there). My response to these annoying low ballers offering me 15k - 16k was.. "I dont think this is the M5 for you however, there are a lot of 2006 M5's with SMG that are right in your price range.." No disrespect to the 06 SMG owners.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I haven't checked in on this thread in a long time. Great to see so many six-speeders having tons of miles and enjoying their cars. I've had mine ten years now. With it being stored away from home, it doesn't see much use. Just broke 52k.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts