BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman,

Your comments and advice is much appreceiated. I recently purchased a 94' 3.8 M5 with 59K miles on it from a friend. I really enjoy the car and after some investment and care it is running really well.

I do need some advice on suspension. It is gone and I do have EDC and Self-Leveling. I do not want to lower the car anymore but I do want a better firmer sporty ride. Since the work will be done, i figured to swap out the springs as well. What should I do? Eliminate SLS, and go with an adjustable Koni set-up and 535 springs?

Lastly, I would like to add a chip to my car. Which chip is the best, I want low-mid range power. I heard that chipping a 3.8 is dangerous and cause the engine to blow at 7200RPMs.

Any advice will be good, much appreciated.

Andrew
Ft. Lauderdale

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
AGIL said:
Gentleman,

Your comments and advice is much appreceiated. I recently purchased a 94' 3.8 M5 with 59K miles on it from a friend. I really enjoy the car and after some investment and care it is running really well.

I do need some advice on suspension. It is gone and I do have EDC and Self-Leveling. I do not want to lower the car anymore but I do want a better firmer sporty ride. Since the work will be done, i figured to swap out the springs as well. What should I do? Eliminate SLS, and go with an adjustable Koni set-up and 535 springs?

I hear Koni are good, although if you are not using on the track the EDC's are excellent, I have the EDC's still, with HR springs - I love it!

Lastly, I would like to add a chip to my car. Which chip is the best, I want low-mid range power. I heard that chipping a 3.8 is dangerous and cause the engine to blow at 7200RPMs.

If you are worried about this like I am now (I found out the hard way - but mine could have been due to other undiscovered engine problems) - go the UNICHIP route, this is a piggy back system, and is tuned on the dyno machine to your cars specific outputs. If you want more power - get the Schrick cams.

Regarding chips though - I hear Dinan are very good and so is Jim Comforti. Dinan can do the suspension work too I believe.

Andrew
Ft. Lauderdale

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
AGIL said:
Gentleman,

Andrew
Ft. Lauderdale

Andrew
If I were you, Id stick with Fixing the EDC. When working, its a brilliant system which will be more than firm enough when you need it but compliant at cruising speeds in a straightline.

Dont go sticking Konis on with 535 springs.
Thats no set up for an M5 & your body control will be at odds with the damper rates.

If you are determined to dump the EDC & SLS which is fantastic when working, then get a complete Spring & damper kit with bushes etc from Dinan or Hartge.

At the very worst, get new M5 springs fr & rr from BMW & get a set of Konis valved to suit the M5.

Engine chips that extend the the useable rpm limit are a time bomb waiting to go off.
Thats not the case with Dsylva & Conforti. Midrange perfection is what these guys strive for with std engine configuration.
Search the forum & all will become clear. You should be able to make up your mind then.

Farrell

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
farrell said:
Andrew
If I were you, Id stick with Fixing the EDC. When working, its a brilliant system which will be more than firm enough when you need it but compliant at cruising speeds in a straightline.

Dont go sticking Konis on with 535 springs.
Thats no set up for an M5 & your body control will be at odds with the damper rates.

If you are determined to dump the EDC & SLS which is fantastic when working, then get a complete Spring & damper kit with bushes etc from Dinan or Hartge.

At the very worst, get new M5 springs fr & rr from BMW & get a set of Konis valved to suit the M5.

Engine chips that extend the the useable rpm limit are a time bomb waiting to go off.
Thats not the case with Dsylva & Conforti. Midrange perfection is what these guys strive for with std engine configuration.
Search the forum & all will become clear. You should be able to make up your mind then.

Farrell
That advice sounds great! Thanks it is much apprecited. Yeah I will probably go ahead and stay stock (but it is very expensive) at leat I will stay with the stock springs and go with the Konis.

The chip advice sounds good, and that is what I want mid range power, not top speed and red line capabilities.

I do search the forums many of them and cross reference people and statements and it becomes confusing at times and I decide to start this thread to get fresh ideas, to deliberate on my own.

Again, thanks!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
AGIL said:
I will stay with the stock springs and go with the Konis
You could try, but the back springs will be very low & soft. The rear spring of an SLS-car is too soft and short to work without the SLS damper.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Koni's with H&R springs have been very rated by those who have removed the EDC system.

Both are quality components.

The total cost is £700 from myself.

The one thing about the H&R springs is the ride comfort - its brilliant! Its no harder than stock to be honest.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
AGIL said:
Gentleman,

Andrew
Ft. Lauderdale
Hi!
I presume that you are aware of that you need to get New/second hand damper struts from a 3.6 M5 or 535 to be able to eliminate the EDC as the EDC Damper/struts are intergrated so you can`t use new inserts on them?

:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I am aware that I would need to change the struts. This is why I am asking for all of your opinions. It is probaly best that I just stick with the stock parts and leave it at that. Once the shocks are swapped out, I will see if the EDC actually works. And if not anti up for that too!

This is becoming an expensive hobby....now I know why you guys make comments about the wives being jealous.

AJG

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
AGIL said:
Yes, I am aware that I would need to change the struts. This is why I am asking for all of your opinions. It is probaly best that I just stick with the stock parts and leave it at that. Once the shocks are swapped out, I will see if the EDC actually works. And if not anti up for that too!

This is becoming an expensive hobby....now I know why you guys make comments about the wives being jealous.

AJG
----------------

yep - I am now TOTALLY banned from talking about anything remotely resembling an automotive vehicle. :blabla:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jahangeer said:
----------------

yep - I am now TOTALLY banned from talking about anything remotely resembling an automotive vehicle. :blabla:
Yeah, I can see that with you, I have seen a lot of your posts and with a blown engine and all I can see why......

I am sure that mandate will come next for me once my wife finds out that a suspension will cost me about $4K....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
AGIL said:
Yeah, I can see that with you, I have seen a lot of your posts and with a blown engine and all I can see why......

I am sure that mandate will come next for me once my wife finds out that a suspension will cost me about $4K....
------------------------

yes I know...poor girl, shes had to put up with my two crashes, worried her to bits.

But if I can't talk about it anymore - I can't tell her of the costs.....maybe its not such a bad arrangement.....

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
"a leading direct selling company offering highly competitive fixed and mobile telephone services, internet access, gas and electricity services to consumers and small businesses in Europe, North America and Asia Pacific"

I guess they're a little less competitive in Sweden where an M5 has to maintained from the margin........:1:

Jahangeer said:
------------------------

yes I know...poor girl, shes had to put up with my two crashes, worried her to bits.

But if I can't talk about it anymore - I can't tell her of the costs.....maybe its not such a bad arrangement.....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Stevie said:
"a leading direct selling company offering highly competitive fixed and mobile telephone services, internet access, gas and electricity services to consumers and small businesses in Europe, North America and Asia Pacific"

I guess they're a little less competitive in Sweden where an M5 has to maintained from the margin........:1:
---------------

:7: :7: :1: :7: :1: :7: :1: :7: :1:

smarty pants!!

CFO....Jahangeer - whats this another BMW invoice for the company car? Whats a Schrick cam?

J....Ah hi, its a vital part that needs replacing every 200,000km's. Or the car will break down and end up costing thousands.

CFO....what about last months invoice - SSK, DSSR ?? plus fitting?

J....Ah yeah mmm....can I get back to you on that one?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
:biggrin:
Jahangeer said:
---------------

CFO....Jahangeer - whats this another BMW invoice for the company car? Whats a Schrick cam?

J....Ah hi, its a vital part that needs replacing every 200,000km's. Or the car will break down and end up costing thousands.
I'll bet €50,- that's exactly what you told the GF!

Jahangeer said:
CFO....what about last months invoice - SSK, DSSR ?? plus fitting?

J....Ah yeah mmm....can I get back to you on that one?
..... and J walks away hoping the CFO forgets!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey I work at a Global VoIP company and I and VP of Sales. I was in Stockholm in May for business actually. If you want a real fake invoice so that we all can benefit for performance car parts I can make it happen....

A typical American trying to scam the system.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
AGIL said:
Hey I work at a Global VoIP company and I and VP of Sales. I was in Stockholm in May for business actually. If you want a real fake invoice so that we all can benefit for performance car parts I can make it happen....

A typical American trying to scam the system.
HAHAHHA:biggrin: , now here's the forum-time paying off.

BTW, it's not an American thing, more like the common-denominator of all people worldwide trying to make (or set aside) a buck...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts