BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening people,

I have a small problem. I own a K reg M5 3.8. This evening, driving home on the motorway, I suddenly lost drive to the road wheels. I quickly pressed the clutch and put it into neutral whilst coasting onto the hard shoulder. As I slowed I found that the only gear that I have drive in is 4th gear.

I guess I have 3 basic choices.

1) Buy new gearbox

2) Buy 2nd hand gearbox

3) Get present gearbox repaired.

Can I have some input as to the best course of action. I've read some of the other threads on gearbox problems but can not draw a conclusion.

Many thanks
Steve.

·
Registered
48 Posts
stevespray said:
Evening people,

I have a small problem. I own a K reg M5 3.8. This evening, driving home on the motorway, I suddenly lost drive to the road wheels. I quickly pressed the clutch and put it into neutral whilst coasting onto the hard shoulder. As I slowed I found that the only gear that I have drive in is 4th gear.

1) Buy new gearbox

2) Buy 2nd hand gearbox

Can I have some input as to the best course of action. I've read some of the other threads on gearbox problems but can not draw a conclusion.

Many thanks
Steve.
High!
I had i problem with 6 speed gear box (suggest you sure that your clutch system is in order) and may say that it is not repairable. And in my country it is nearly impossible to buy 2nd hand gearbox.
In accordance with my experience, the only choise you have is to buy the new one. By the way the new one is not actually the new one, but kinda repaired or recycled by manufacturer. But still it works great and i feel a new car shifting new gearbox :hihi: but this part is extremely expencieve, from 1/3 to 1/2 of actual cost of your vehicle.
Our retro cars need special treatment, did you know? :)
I think you ll get less problems (monewise) if you have 5 speed gearbox.
Good luck
:flag:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Andrey///M5 said:
High!
I had i problem with 6 speed gear box (suggest you sure that your clutch system is in order) and may say that it is not repairable. And in my country it is nearly impossible to buy 2nd hand gearbox.
In accordance with my experience, the only choise you have is to buy the new one. By the way the new one is not actually the new one, but kinda repaired or recycled by manufacturer. But still it works great and i feel a new car shifting new gearbox :hihi: but this part is extremely expencieve, from 1/3 to 1/2 of actual cost of your vehicle.
Our retro cars need special treatment, did you know? :)
I think you ll get less problems (monewise) if you have 5 speed gearbox.
Good luck
:flag:
There is 5 speed reparation option, i guess
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47450
Good luck again :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
stevespray said:
Evening people,

1) Buy new gearbox

2) Buy 2nd hand gearbox

Many thanks
Steve.

Try Durt

he is breaking his 3.6 but not sure if there are any differences??

Flywheel is definately different but i think there was a thread about some people using the 3.6 flywheel in the 3.8

·
Registered
868 Posts
Steve Mac said:
Try Durt

he is breaking his 3.6 but not sure if there are any differences??

Flywheel is definately different but i think there was a thread about some people using the 3.6 flywheel in the 3.8

I would not recommend the 3.6 fly wheel. Whilst it does give a better launch it makes the transmission rattley.

In terms of the gearbox if this has expired, I'm afraid your only option is a new one from BMW. DO NOT rebuild or buy a rebuilt gearbox. They are highly difficult to get right and the parts bill alone out weighs the cost of a new one.

Best

M5 Powered

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M5 powered said:
I would not recommend the 3.6 fly wheel. Whilst it does give a better launch it makes the transmission rattley.

In terms of the gearbox if this has expired, I'm afraid your only option is a new one from BMW. DO NOT rebuild or buy a rebuilt gearbox. They are highly difficult to get right and the parts bill alone out weighs the cost of a new one.

Best

M5 Powered
I may have sourced a gearbox from a 1990 3.6 M5. The part numbers however look very slightly differenet. Does anyone know why this is ? In the parts listing the only difference I can see is the part marked 'supplimnet'. Can someone advise what the potential differences are please ?

Steve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go onto Pistonheads.com, there is a guy on there who has a 6 speed or a 5 speed available (depening on wether he decided to transplant them).

However, I can't get on there today for some reason, give it a try though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
By the way, if you're wondering where Pistonheads has gone, it is apparently under
a denial-of-service attack by that Gumball/Ultimate Rally a***hole
Kimble, who was banned from Pistonheads

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts