BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All, Going crazy reading and searching for the best OEM look angel eye upgrade.. Confused I've seen prices from $300 to $1100..My 2000 m5 currently has the old HID setup.. What is the best solution? Thanks

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
What is your budget? if you want to have the best setup...Euro headlights made by hella with AIB V3 and D2S 6000k bulb and stealth bulb turn signal is your goal...but you can start with the Euro headlights first,you will also need a upgraded mounting bracket for 2001 and up (this is about $30-40 each from the dealer) and hella upgraded plugs $69.00 for both so you don't have to cut wires...

·
Registered
8,153 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Umnitza has the same kit for $869. I've had nothing but good experiences with them throughout my lighting upgrades (new headlights and xenon fogs).

I got the Projector39s, as opposed to the Hellas, though. I couldnt be happier (and I got them with a 50w ballast, so they really light up the night).

·
Registered
851 Posts
What is your budget? if you want to have the best setup...Euro headlights made by hella with AIB V3 and D2S 6000k bulb and stealth bulb turn signal is your goal...but you can start with the Euro headlights first,you will also need a upgraded mounting bracket for 2001 and up (this is about $30-40 each from the dealer) and hella upgraded plugs $69.00 for both so you don't have to cut wires...
+1

You should only buy the best for the beast.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 M5 (12/99 build) and want to upgrade also. What's the difference between the two kits?

Thanks................Wayne

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
MY00 cars have a 3 wire connector to the turn signals. It's a bit more expensive and cumbersome to install the MY01-03 headlights on it. We've done it many times and it's just more of a pain to install them.

As for practical differences:
1) P39s have brighter angel eyes, similar looks to OE, and simple bolt on installability.
2) Hella have OE/Germany construction, quality optics, and great fit and finish.

there are positives to both.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I have a 2000 M5 (12/99 build) and want to upgrade also. What's the difference between the two kits?

Thanks................Wayne
HELLA:

OEM quality
OEM price
you can change the angel eyes to whatever you want
You'll need extra hardware to make it work on your car (pre 2001)

Projector39s

Cheaper than OEM
I wasnt able to tell a difference in qualiy
You can't change the angel eyes. They come with white predator ICE, and that's it.
No need for extra hardware, but you gotta tap power from the parking lights for the angel eyes.

You will lose the auto-leveling feature unless you specifically ask for it, and I think that regardless of the kit (hella or p39), you'll need to get new ballasts since the new ones are H7 and our stock one was D2S (don't quote me on that last one, I'm not 100% sure of it. Maybe someone can confirm?)

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Just buy this one and your problem will be solved no cutting or splicing, plug and play ( http://www.eurosportdesign.com/pc-18-10-bmw-e39-hella-angel-eye-wire-harness-kit.aspx )...I have installed quite a few, Euro headlights and it does not take me that long...

MY00 cars have a 3 wire connector to the turn signals. It's a bit more expensive and cumbersome to install the MY01-03 headlights on it. We've done it many times and it's just more of a pain to install them.

As for practical differences:
1) P39s have brighter angel eyes, similar looks to OE, and simple bolt on installability.
2) Hella have OE/Germany construction, quality optics, and great fit and finish.

there are positives to both.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Also the DEPO look different from OEM or Euro...
HELLA:

OEM quality
OEM price
you can change the angel eyes to whatever you want
You'll need extra hardware to make it work on your car (pre 2001)

Projector39s

Cheaper than OEM
I wasnt able to tell a difference in qualiy
You can't change the angel eyes. They come with white predator ICE, and that's it.
No need for extra hardware, but you gotta tap power from the parking lights for the angel eyes.

You will lose the auto-leveling feature unless you specifically ask for it, and I think that regardless of the kit (hella or p39), you'll need to get new ballasts since the new ones are H7 and our stock one was D2S (don't quote me on that last one, I'm not 100% sure of it. Maybe someone can confirm?)

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Also the DEPO look different from OEM or Euro...
I realized that a difference is that with the depo, the side marker is always on. Apparently, not all of them do that.

Other than that....what differences are there?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
The headlight housing around the lens...i'll try get some pics for comparison...
I realized that a difference is that with the depo, the side marker is always on. Apparently, not all of them do that.

Other than that....what differences are there?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I would stick with the oem hella versions. Aftermarket units just look cheap IMHO and they stand out that they are aftermarket. OEM euro versions would be my choice if I were going to do the upgrade and like laidback said, just buy that wiring kit and everything will plug-n-play.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Depo...notice the low beam lens housing and the Angel eyes are thicker than the Oem or Euro from Hella...

Hella Oem or Euro...cleaner look imho...

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Hah I never noticed that before. I had to keep going back and forth trying to figure out what you meant, heh.

That said, it doesnt bother me a bit. Again, I was on a bit of a budget. The housing like that does not seem like a $500 difference to me. Should price be no object, I'd go with the versatility of the Hellas (versatility in terms of changing angel eyes).

And I actually like the thicker angel eyes. At first, I was worried that they were gonna be too thick, but they are perfect for me.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Thats not the only difference. The OEM also has a smooth back housing which you can see on the second photo laidback posted. The Depo have more of a flat edge like backing. Most of this difference can be seen between the low beam and turn signal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
just ordered the hella's from umnitza last week. Can't wait!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Go to bimmer forum under E39 forum and look at my post for powder coating the valve cover and you will see a picture of some AE's that cost all of $29. Of course there will be those who will insist that they must be a POS just because they don't cost $900, but I think they look as good as any OEMs I have seen. You don't always have to pay a ton of money if you are willing to do a little work yourself. These can be installed in under 2 hours on any pre-2001 E39 as well as some others, but who cares about any Bimmer that isn't an E39 anyway??!!

Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts