BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, From tampa FL here and i am just in a torn decision. Ever since the M6(F10) came out i have been in awe in it's beauty. Its a car that was on par with lambo's ferraris etc as far as being unattainable in life at a wopping 120k+
Well 3 years later after I have been in an 09 tuned 335i since 2011 i have always wanted the new M3(M4). The M3 was always such a cool looking car but a simple tune and some other mods my car was a decent amount faster. So i figured i would get the new M3 model since it would be Turbo'd and i would tune it etc.
Well the M4 is out and i have the numbers @ 70,750 lease payment 895 with 2k down in blue yas marina and red leather. It's ready to be ordered. The lease will be 10k miles and 39 months.
If i got this car i would daily drive it as i drive about 8-10k per year.

Im about to go to the dealer and see an M6. Even though it is an older body then the M4... it's still the big dog on the street i guess you could say. So i went on cars.com. WOW curve ball.... 75k. Right in the same price range.

This is where i will be in a bind. Id rather have the M6 at this point. Since I would own it i would not drive it in the rain(1/3 of days here in Florida) and realistically would only put 4-6k on it a year.

What is cheaper in the long run? The M6 will be in the garage for about 4-5 years.

Does low miles = More Reliable

Are the M6's reliable out of warranty? i havent seen complaints but are they prone to massive SMG type of problems like the previous gen?
I know the DCT is strong but im primarily worried i will be dumping 3-5k a year in out of warranty work and that will make the clear winner in price the M4.

In my car buying experience(and many friends family) the depreciation is about what your car payment is with 20% down. This leaves my cost at 900 per month for the M6 and 950 per month for the M4.

Will low miles drop this depreciation at all?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Go for the M6...

I bought 2 M3s and a M6 new. There were no particular problems after warranty was over.

My '06 was demolished by a jerk who hit me broadside. Owned it 6 yrs, longest I ever owned a car but I dearly loved it. Got a 911s but got tired of the bumpy little fart.

Now I drive a '13 M6 Coupe. LOVE it. Had only 11k mi when I got it CHEAP.

I sat in the M4, then the M6. No comparison, and was about the same $$$$$. The original owner ate $45k depreciation for 11k mi.

This M6 may stay with me for the rest of my life unless I have to start using a wheelchair. (They ordered me to use one in 2007, I never have. If I had to I would get a very fast motor scooter and maybe a M-B AMG Wagon to haul it.)

Am told that those who buy M6 usually have no sweat with $$$$$$, would rather pay $125k for a new one than 80K for a used one just so they can drive a car nobody owned before. The less expensive M4 would not be subject to this rapid drop but a new M4 would drop faster than a used M6.

After 2.5 mos I am much more convinced that I made the right choice by getting the used M6.

Whatever you do, ENJOY!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Just buy both. hiha

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Since you are leasing, ask the dealer or find out from the financial institution what the M6 lease price will be. My guess is the M6 will have less depreciation, from this point than the M3/4 have, and thus likely a lower lease payment. I thought these were trading more like 85k or so. If its a 2012 M6, thats fine but that is a press car/ demonstrator car that was not really intended for public sale- though they were all sold and likely with a little premium. The 2013s that are the official beginning of M6 USA sales have an updated iDrive and I think a few extra things but its not major and if the deal works I wouldn't let it stop you- just know if you go to sell the car you might hear- its a 2012... I don't follow the mechanical side of this so closely like I used to but my experience with 6k miles on my 2013 M6 convertible has not produced a single mechanical problem. I think so long as you don't overwhelm it with power you should be ok. My advice would be to not mod the engine until you know the car. You can also buy an after market warranty- usually these are a bit expensive but if you are worried about a big expense, this could give you peace of mind. The thing is you better check if they cover modifications to the motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts