BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen this a few times now in some of these European builds , an S38 head on an M30B35 block.

What's the benefit over using a complete S38 engine ? An abundant supply of cheap blocks and bottom ends ?

MI Performance BMW 5 Series E34
Engine
BMW M30/S38 3.5-litre inline six-cylinder, M30B35 block, S38 crankshaft, CP forged pistons, Eagle rods, S38 DOHC cylinder head, custom cams, Comp Turbo CT43-7479 turbocharger, TiAL wastegate, custom exhaust manifold, PPF blow-off valve, front-mounted intercooler, custom intercooler piping, 4.5-inch turbo down pipe, custom 4-inch exhaust system, custom intake, Aeromotive Eliminator Stealth fuel cell, Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump, Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, Nuke Performance/PPF fuel rail, Bosch 1600cc injectors, Peterson dry sump, custom billet oil pan, front-mounted intercooler, v-mounted aluminium radiator, 6x MSD coils, Autronic SM4 engine management system
Attack Mode Enabled: The Mi Performance E34 | Speedhunters

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would assume its the amount of m30's kicking around. S38 blocks demand a premium, where an M30 block can be had for fairly cheap depending on the source ( junkyard ).

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was comparing an S38 and M30 block in the workshop last night and they're almost the same except for some additional oil (?) holes in between the S38 cylinders and some differences with the engine mounts and water jacket casting on the LHS of the block.

·
Registered
658 Posts
is b38 and b36 blocks the same?
No besides the bore and a few other changes the easiest thing visually to see are a few casting differences between the B38 and B36. Pics are borrowed from the web none are mine.

B36 and B35: Notice the oil return casting boss as used on the 745i turbo engines and the number of mounting bosses on the front of the engine block.

B38: Notice the lack of the casting for the oil return as well as fewer engine mount bosses and the thinner looking crank case. Also on the intake side one will say 3.5 and the other 3.8.

-Greg

·
Registered
238 Posts
Differences

I suppose S38 engines have blocks with tighter tolerances which may have an effect on performance and durability. Besides that I think when building up a complete engine, the financial benefit is just marginale but M30 blocks can easily be found.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What is funny is that many in the US think that it impossible to do the m30 plus s38 head combo, but Europe and the rest of the world seems
to have a few of these running around. I suspect tapping the block and adding an oil line is easy enough to do. What is the difference
between the m30b35 crank and s38b35 crank?

I've seen this a few times now in some of these European builds , an S38 head on an M30B35 block.

What's the benefit over using a complete S38 engine ? An abundant supply of cheap blocks and bottom ends ?

Attack Mode Enabled: The Mi Performance E34 | Speedhunters

·
Registered
274 Posts
M30 is more common.

I believe the S38B35 is a double row timing chain and the M30 is single chain for sure. This changes the crank and other timing parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts