BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference at all? My brother had a 02-03 (can't remember which year) M3 with SMG and I thought it was a blast to drive. How much does the M5 SMG differ from the M3 if any at all? Same mechanics and all i assume. Just gotta get used to all the modes it offers. Never really got into them on the M3. The only bad part of SMG is valet parking. Most people have no idea how to work it at first. But then again who wants to valet a car like this.

·
Registered
646 Posts
A little off topic, but the last thing I look at when I valet one of my cars is the odometer. Remember "Risky Business"! I will probably program a "Valet Mode" using the reduced 400 hp mode and the cushiest auto trans setting.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The M5 defaults to D1 mode on startup so that would be the mode offerred to someone valet parking it.

SMG III in the M5 is pretty close to SMGII on the M3.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Some who have reported on this have indicated that the M5 SMG is more refined and that may give the sense that it is slower. Do a search on it.

If I may ask a quick question- how is the supercharged RR vs. the regular model? Is the handling improved with the stiffer anti roll bars?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Supercharged RR has alot more power than the standard 4.4 (HSE) that BMW put in there. They also updated that engine too (HSE) and I havent driven that but i dont think it's much different than the 4.4. The brembo brakes on the SC are great also. The handling is more improved also and it it has less roll when going around a turn. The SC on the highway is awesome. Its instant power and very quick at high speeds. And the exhaust note is nice. Overall it definitley is improved over the 03' I have. But the only thing I dont like is the huge headrests it gives with the headrest TV's. The back passengers are almost unable to see out the front.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I must say that SMG II is very different compared to SMG III.. I have now M3 Cab SMG II -04 and M5 SMG III.

As a normal driver my comment is that SMG II shifts much more brutally, engaging gear with no mercy... while SMG III feels softer and more sophisticated.

While acclerating hard with SMG II it sometimes feels this can not be good for the car : ) and never felt like this with SMG III.

Still, as a experienced driver, I must admit that pocket parking is sometimes a nightmare on both of these cars... when You are really close to another car, engaging gear and moving only few centimeters can be a difficult job!

Bot II and III start with automode on startup, which I hate so much!

I think other difference is that SMG II has this uphill mode which applies when You start uphill and You press down-paddle for a second, it raises rpm a little and brakes to amke it easier to start...SMG III seems to have that on breakpaddle.

This is only after 500 km's with my new m5 ; )

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
It is my understanding the III is 20% faster than II. That may account for smoother shifts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts