BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

If everything works out as I plan it, I will be able to afford an M3 :wroom: , after selling my S3, between summer and winter 2005. :cheers:

I'm going quite crazy about it, so I have to ask a few questions. ;)

1. The stock M3 suspension is probably quite excellent, but it is very high. I would prefer the car to be lowered, but I don't want to mess up the near-perfect(?) settings and balance of the car. Any suggestions? Perhaps the CSL suspension (it seems to sit much lower)?

2. I don't like the M3 wheels. Is it 100% possible to install the CSL 19's which are beautiful or should I go aftermarket (BBS CH or OZ Superleggera in 19")?

3. What tires will I get with the car?

4. Are there any must-have options which I should be aware of?

5. I would reaaaaally like to get the car in Estoril blue (possible on the current 3-series + Clubsport package according to BMW.de).

6. When did the M3 CSL production end?

7. Where do I get the front grill in black? :D :D

8. What interior should I get? I'm thinking a lot of the Alcantara/Leather combo + alu shadow lining. Anyone have good pics of various interiors?

9. What does the "hochglanz shadow-line" look like exactly and what comes stock?

This is my current list of options:
- 19" wheels
- carbon black metallic (or should I get sapphire black instead?)
- armrest
- outside mirror package
- floor mats in velour
- electrical adjustment of the backrest side support
- rain sensor
- alarm
- "klimacomfort" from windshield
- "hochglanz shadow line" - not quite sure what this is
- electrical seats with memory
- CD changer
- CD "laufwerk" - I gather this options adds a CD instead of a cassette to the Business Radio
- BMW Business radio
- Xenon lights
- PDC
- light-wash system

I didn't opt for the sunroof, navigation and HiFi systems because they would add a lot of weight and I don't really need them.

Which options do you consider a good or bad choice?
What option (not listed above) should I consider additionally?

Thanks in advance (and I hope this post isn't in advance :().

·
Registered
946 Posts
Mori said:
Hi,

If everything works out as I plan it, I will be able to afford an M3 :wroom: , after selling my S3, between summer and winter 2005. :cheers:

I'm going quite crazy about it, so I have to ask a few questions. ;)

1. The stock M3 suspension is probably quite excellent, but it is very high. I would prefer the car to be lowered, but I don't want to mess up the near-perfect(?) settings and balance of the car. Any suggestions? Perhaps the CSL suspension (it seems to sit much lower)?

2. I don't like the M3 wheels. Is it 100% possible to install the CSL 19's which are beautiful or should I go aftermarket (BBS CH or OZ Superleggera in 19")?

3. What tires will I get with the car?

4. Are there any must-have options which I should be aware of?

5. I would reaaaaally like to get the car in Estoril blue (possible on the current 3-series + Clubsport package according to BMW.de).

6. When did the M3 CSL production end?

7. Where do I get the front grill in black? :D :D

8. What interior should I get? I'm thinking a lot of the Alcantara/Leather combo + alu shadow lining. Anyone have good pics of various interiors?

9. What does the "hochglanz shadow-line" look like exactly and what comes stock?
Hi Mori,

First of all, welcome on Board :cheers:

Let me try to answer your questions in order:

1) You should get competition package which is due to 12/04 built cars. OR you can put Eibach pro-kit springs on the car. Johann and Dirim had those springs on their M3s and they both happy with the results. "The car was lower, handled better and somehow more comfortable" they said.

2) It is possible to fit 19" CSL rims. Competition package also includes the rims. You can also put BBS 19" rims.

3) Continental conti sport or Michelin Pilot sports

4) For me PDC, Bi-Xenons, CD player, and SMGII are must

5) Actually you can get interlogos blue, not estoril with competition package. It is a great color IMO, I wouldn't go for carbon or saphire black

6) M3 CSL production ended at 12/03

7) Hamann sold those black out grills but any painter can paint your chrome grills with black paint. I don't like look of those, though. Maybe you should go for carbon grills as member HIPAD did. Make a search..

8) Alcantara/leather is not bad. Personally I have cloth/leather since I'll switch to racing buckets. Alum. trim is not bad but I like new trim which is included in competition package

9) Actually I have that option on my M3 and it is included in M package for 3 series coupe. Basically it is black satin trim around the side windows. Most of the time you don't notice it, but once in a while you appreciate to see that detail. I didn't have it on my previous 03 M3 coupe but order my 04 coupe with it. It is up to you. Stock comes with black rubber like material.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
946 Posts
Mori said:
Hi,

This is my current list of options:
- 19" wheels
Get competition package
- carbon black metallic (or should I get sapphire black instead?)
Get competition package and go for interlogos blue
- armrest
I have it
- outside mirror package
I have it and once in a while I use it. Also one of my girl friend's told me that it looks sexy when they are up :)
- floor mats in velour
no need; you can put aftermarket mats to make things more personelize
- electrical adjustment of the backrest side support
I don't like M3 seats because of their lack of side support; I heard electrical adjustment is a good fix for this problem; so you can go for it
- rain sensor
I have it; it is nice but not as good as you may have on a MB; so not very important
- alarm
I don't have it; the car already has immobilizer
- "klimacomfort" from windshield
I don't have it; don't think I will ever need it
- "hochglanz shadow line" - not quite sure what this is
I have it; it is a nice detail touch
- electrical seats with memory
It is standart if you order your car from Germany
- CD changer
I have it; very nice option if you like listening music in the car
- CD "laufwerk" - I gather this options adds a CD instead of a cassette to the Business Radio
- BMW Business radio
I have BMW professional radio which has CD player; so you don't have to order CD laufwerk. It has a bigger screen; check my car's picture. It looks better than BMW Business
- Xenon lights
It is a must for me
- PDC
It is also a must for me
- light-wash system
It is included with xenon lights

I didn't opt for the sunroof, navigation and HiFi systems because they would add a lot of weight and I don't really need them.
Me either; I just had Harman Karbon
Which options do you consider a good or bad choice?
What option (not listed above) should I consider additionally?

Mori,

I prefer the answer second part of your question separately due to not to mix things up.

If you ask me you MUST go for the competition package because:
- It has interlogos blue option
- alum. cube interior trim
- lower suspension setting
- 19" CSL look a like wheels which are made by BBS

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pride355 said:
Hi Mori,

First of all, welcome on Board :cheers:
Thanks. :)

1) You should get competition package which is due to 12/04 built cars. OR you can put Eibach pro-kit springs on the car. Johann and Dirim had those springs on their M3s and they both happy with the results. "The car was lower, handled better and somehow more comfortable" they said.
Where can I get more detailed information on the Competition package?

Are the Eibachs really that good on the M3? The springs they make for the Golf IV/Audi A3/S3 are terrible - much too soft. I currently have the H&R Comfort coilover kit, and its really hard. I think the M3 will be softer stock, but will handle much much better.

4) For me PDC, Bi-Xenons, CD player, and SMGII are must
Hmm - I've been thinking about this. I really love manual gearboxes because I like total control, such as the ability to drop the clutch at high revs to spin the wheels etc. Do you think I would like the SMGII? I will not have ANY chance to test drive an M3 w/SMG unless I take a drive to Germany... perhaps I should because until recently I was against SMG, but now I'm not so sure.

Is it true that the clutch wears much less with the SMG?

What about the "launch control" function? Is there a limit on how often I can use it?

5) Actually you can get interlogos blue, not estoril with competition package. It is a great color IMO, I wouldn't go for carbon or saphire black
Yes. But I was configuring a 330i cabrio for fun on bmw.de and with the clubsport package you can order Estoril blue (which is my favourite colour). :) I love the elegance of black, but its hard to keep clean (my S3 is black).

8) Alcantara/leather is not bad. Personally I have cloth/leather since I'll switch to racing buckets. Alum. trim is not bad but I like new trim which is included in competition package
What seats are you planning to get? I would love the ones from the CSL.

9) Actually I have that option on my M3 and it is included in M package for 3 series coupe. Basically it is black satin trim around the side windows. Most of the time you don't notice it, but once in a while you appreciate to see that detail. I didn't have it on my previous 03 M3 coupe but order my 04 coupe with it. It is up to you. Stock comes with black rubber like material.
OK - I know now. My mom had it on her 330d - I thought that chrome was standard. Thanks.

Hope this helps,
Very much. :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Mori,

Competition package is different than clubsport package that is for UK 330ci's.
Do a search on the forum about competition package. I posted a thread on this subject a while ago.

I'm planning to put Recaro Pole Position racing buckets. CSL buckets are also recaro and they are very much like pole positions; however when they are ordered from BMW, they are too expensive.
You may also make a search on racing seats on this form; it has been discussed before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts