BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, please help ive been saving hard to buy an E39 M5 for over a year now but in the last year the price of the E46 M3 has dropped quite a bit bringing it in or around the same price bracket as say a 2000/01 M5. I have owned 3 previous E36 M3s and cant wait to get back into a BM again after suffering 2 years with out one! but now i cant decide which to go for. It will be a second car and prob wont need the extra two doors of the 5 to be honest but its the big V8 that has me very confused and the fact that the straight six in the E46 appears to be a very stressed unit.
What you guys think? this is a M5 site after all but i consider it to be very informative and will greatly value your opinions.
help??????
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think it's down to 2 things:

Do you need the space?
Which cabin is better?

I have always thought the M3 cabin lacked a sense of occasion - the M5 is a more special place to be, and I need the space (3 large kids!)

·
Registered
48 Posts
m5 is a better car. I have owned a 2003 m3 for nearly 2 years and recently traded it for the m5 due to continued engine problems and recalls. It is also nice to have all the low end torque, and the engine sounds way better. The m3 is a better handling car, and does have good back seat room. Having driven both for periods of time, I would recommend the m5 as a better overall car.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I definately agree with pmarin!

I would say M5 all the way. You won't regret all of that low end torque and the sound of the engine, plus the M5 is more "special" overall in my opinion.

But mainly that huge V8 is the kicker...it's just a monster! :biggrin:

·
Registered
238 Posts
M5 for sure!!!

M3 is not that special because you can see one every day or so.

And the sound of the M5 is more agressive...

Hope you buy the M5!!! :M5launch:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Like the guys say - Gotta be the M5!

Having used an M3 for a while I find it too skittish on 19s' and a harder less relaxing ride when you're not in the mood for fun! and a 2000/1 model won't lose as much as a newer M3. Like me you've saved for a while to live the dream and to change your mind now may result in dissapointment! Go for the M5 - you won't regret it and good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
May be a bit pricey, but for 55-60k you can get the c55. you get the small nibble feel of m3 and v8 torque of 5.4 liter v8 w/ 362 hp and 370 torque in a small car.

i just traded in my m5 for c55. i do miss the bmw "feel/feedback" but hey when bmw does not make a v8 in a 3 series.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all, please help ive been saving hard to buy an E39 M5 for over a year now but in the last year the price of the E46 M3 has dropped quite a bit bringing it in or around the same price bracket as say a 2000/01 M5. I have owned 3 previous E36 M3s and cant wait to get back into a BM again after suffering 2 years with out one! but now i cant decide which to go for. It will be a second car and prob wont need the extra two doors of the 5 to be honest but its the big V8 that has me very confused and the fact that the straight six in the E46 appears to be a very stressed unit.
What you guys think? this is a M5 site after all but i consider it to be very informative and will greatly value your opinions.
help??????
<!-- / message -->
call me crazy...

i've had both. i like the m3 over the m5

·
Registered
543 Posts
I was in the same place as I have no kids, wife, etc. so space was no concern

I went with the 5 because of the feel, the look, the power, the sound. I haven't regretted it for a minute.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
The M3 is a great driver's car, not to say the M5 isn't. I guess it depends on how you will drive the cars. If you're a track junkie, then M3 all the way. If you need room to spare, then ultimate family car is the M5.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Both :thumbsup:

Seriously...although I haven't had the M3 very long, if I had to choose ONE today, I'd choose the M5.

Good Luck!

:cheers:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its gona be the M5 isnt it. i have put this post on a few M3 sites as well and even there many people have said to go with the M5:M5launch:

MFIRE as you are in england you will know better but ive even bought a personal plate to go with an M5 so think it will have to be the beast.
hope to have very next year and cant wait as i have said 2 years without an M car has been hell:sad2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
o I agree but they are still making 45k easy for a good one and that is way off budget although i have a test in top gear mag i think and they have all the M cars ever built and the E39 M5 comes a very close second to the CSL. Cant remember who drove will have to go and hoke it out now!

·
Banned
386 Posts
M5!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was in the same position a few months back - key for me was finding the right M5, not some used up beast. Drove the M3 - great car; little wheezy up high IMO compared to the M5. 6 vs 8 is what it boiled down too overall for me....

then space - track or non-track use etc. Space I have a Grand Cherokee Overland, track I have a 911 Carrera. Problem solved :haha: M5 it is.

Seriously - the M3 is nice and nimble but it is no M5. For that kind of coin I want a V8, not some 6 that is tweaked to the gills and prone to engine dysfunction.

-Jeff
[email protected]

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've gone out for a test spin in every new (by new I mean 'breathed over') M3, and each time I've thought it was good.....but always had an idea that eventually, the Max Power guys will get their hands on them.

It sounds really snobbish, and it is, but there's the exclusivity of the M5. Mine is getting chopped in as deposit for my new M5, but when it comes round to it I'll probably keep it, I've had it 4 years and it still *dailly* makes me smile and feel like a driving God, or like an embassador - in the same journey!

I don't have any kids, I use the M5 to transport just me, or maybe me and the missus, it's nice to have the extra space when you need it though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have had 4 M3's...the last an '03 M3 Convertible with SMG. Liked the M3, convertible was fun, but hated the SMG. Traded for 993 Twin Turbo...great fun and strong value retention. Recently added an M5 and enjoy it so much more than the M3. Better ride, more solid, handles well, but is obviously heavier than the M3. Sounds better and love the torque. Go M5...you should be happy. Witha few mods, it is a monster...or should I say beast! hiha

1 - 20 of 33 Posts