BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW today made it official that they will produce a limited number of road going M3 GTR V8. It will have a detuned racing V8 with 350 HP. The weght will be 1350kg and the price only EUR250.000
(Johan, maybe you will have to speak to your boss again). It will apparently be a racecar for the street.

Regards/Robert

·
Registered
372 Posts
Take the 350HP number with a grain of salt.

In European Car magazine, they tested the M3 GT (i6) and GTR (v8).

The i6 is close to 400hp, and while the GTR is supposed to be "around 400 hp" in fact in the series thinks it's 500 or more.

It's been compared by drivers of the M5 engine powered Grand American Series M3, which is putting out around 500hp, and they felt that while the M5 engine might have more torque lower down, that ultimately this new GTR engine had higher peak output.

Based on this, I would not be surprised of the 350hp for the street version is an overly conservative number.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Did I get the figure right at 250,000 Euros ie 156K pounds or 230K USD!!!! That is the equivalent of about 4 ordinary M3s or 3 M5s.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yeah:cool: The intakes on the hood - love 'em. And the roof painted in another color , just like some muscle cars from the 60's , nice isn't enough for this car but the price... i would go for a lambo or ferrari if i could get a "toy" for 250 000 Euro. I know that ferraris and lambos are more ordinary cars , but hey 350 Hp V8 versus 400-600 hp V12s(depending on which model you choose) it surely makes difference

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The picture looks very cool indeed. 250,000 Euro and 350 bhp suggest that it is targeted for private racing teams who knows what they can really squeeze out of it.

BMW should have at least CSL look aero-dynamics kit for the mere mortals with real wallets. If not, some after-market company will. Surely, the demand will be there.

Ufuk

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
230k USD? Why not just go for a Ferrari...i think that BMW needs to rethink the cars that they are outputing...honestly, who would take that over a ferrari in the same general price range?

·
Registered
372 Posts
People need to open their minds just a little before jumping to conclusions.

The facts:
- the cars were all sold to teams
- the HP number is obviously arbitrary
- the price is equally arbitrary

Racing support is based on seasonal contracts. For that you get a season worth of support... for a car builder, that means parts, diagnosis, technical support, rebuilds, etc. It's impossible to come to an exact figure on the cost of one car based on this, but the price quoted might not be far off.

You may buy a ferrari for that price, but you won't be getting racing engineers and a complete engine rebuild after each race.

You're comparing cars you an I can actually buy to something which we cannot buy and never could. Even a "cheap" Formula 3 car costs 1-2 million dollars per season to run, but the parts are relatively inexpensive compared to F1, aluminum construction, 4 cyl engine, aerodynamic restrictions, etc. The cost is in the ongoing support of the car and I think BMW's quoted price probably reflects that at least partly.

Also, the original quotes on the GTR specs DID include things engine rebuilds, spare engine, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What an evil looking front splitter :D
those vents in the bonnet are to let hot air out not cool air in! :)

Some times you just have to say

"what the ****, I just want one"

·
Registered
372 Posts
Those vents in the hood are in fact the intakes.

When they pop the hood you see two huge intakes for each side of the V8 engine there.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Looks to me as those vents are facing backwards which to me would indicate they may be heat vents rather than intakes but then I'm no mechanic!! Aren't those the intakes at the front coming out to the grill?

·
Registered
573 Posts
JohnH said:
Looks to me as those vents are facing backwards which to me would indicate they may be heat vents rather than intakes but then I'm no mechanic!! Aren't those the intakes at the front coming out to the grill?

I agree with John, look closer see the two air intake
tube by the grill going directly to the engine.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts