BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, what dose everyone think of the M3 competition pkg? My dad might buy one for my brother and I to share. I would of course still keep the M5 and we would share both cars. Just wondering what everyone thinks of that car.
Thanks AFR

·
Registered
396 Posts
I drove a couple before purchasing my 02 M5. I had a 99 M3 before and, as you would expect, the M3 lacks the sheer grunt that the M5 always has at hand.

I would love to be able to alternate between thr 2 cars.

·
Registered
153 Posts
AFRM5 said:
Hi, what dose everyone think of the M3 competition pkg? My dad might buy one for my brother and I to share. I would of course still keep the M5 and we would share both cars. Just wondering what everyone thinks of that car.
Thanks AFR
Stick or SMG?

Heck, Either way drive the snot out of it. They love it. We drive ours like it does'nt matter if they see tomorrow and they run like champs.:wroom: We give hot laps in them almost daily now.

The brakes will get loud if you use them hard and get them pretty hot. When I say pretty hard I mean almost ABS braking for several corners. Just ask some of the guys on the board who have been to our schools, WE USE OUR BRAKES:) The noise is normal, Dont fret ;)

And no, Of course it does'nt have the GRUNT of the M5. But it still rocks.

If you dont want to beat on yours, Come to an M School and beat on ours :1:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MrDrifter said:
Stick or SMG?

Heck, Either way drive the snot out of it. They love it. We drive ours like it does'nt matter if they see tomorrow and they run like champs.:wroom: We give hot laps in them almost daily now.

The brakes will get loud if you use them hard and get them pretty hot. When I say pretty hard I mean almost ABS braking for several corners. Just ask some of the guys on the board who have been to our schools, WE USE OUR BRAKES:) The noise is normal, Dont fret ;)

And no, Of course it does'nt have the GRUNT of the M5. But it still rocks.

If you dont want to beat on yours, Come to an M School and beat on ours :1:
How do i make an appointment to go to the M school? I have always wanted to do that. thanks AFR

·
Registered
153 Posts
AFRM5 said:
How do i make an appointment to go to the M school? I have always wanted to do that. thanks AFR
Below is a link to our site. Its not real descriptive but if you want to know more you cak PM me and I'll give you some more info.

Also you can post questions about the schools on this board for opinions. There are a lot of guys on this board that have been to our schools.

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/PerformanceCenter/school

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
As an owner of both a M5 and a M3 ZCP, I couldn't resist...

The M3 doesn't have the grunt, but it is sure no slouch either! Very, very rarely have I really missed the torque in the M5, but this is largely because I haven't been able to really drive either car except in bumper to bumper traffic for several weeks now. Today in the rain, I would have loved to be able to lug the M5 through traffic, because the M3 is pretty flat below 2k.

Mr. Drifter is dead on.. these things love to be hammered, and hammered hard. I have been playing with fuel consumption for the last couple of days, just seeing how high I can get it while in traffic (hey, what else am I going to do?) and it is REALLY hard to not rev it! If the engine isn't revving to at least 4k, it just doesn't sound right! At 8k... wow, what a sound!

The brakes... yeah, they get very noisey when they get hot. Several heavy applications and they sound like fog horns at slow speeds. They also don't like sitting in traffic stopping and going, I suspect this is the cause of my squeal when I come to a stop.

My complaints about the ZCP and possibly M3 in general. The useless M Track Mode... it is still way too much of a nursemaid. I love the steering wheel, but I am concerned it won't hold up. I don't miss the steering wheel controls at all, cruise.. would be nice to still have, I have some long trips coming up. And the Tire Pressure Monitoring system is junk.. I have been driving around with a warning light on my dash ever since my flat last week. Nothing seems to work to reset it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I wasn't to keen on the SMG or the M3 until the BMW M school. Let me tell you there are a great little cars:cheers: !!! They held the road so well and were very nimble thru the tight turns. The brake package works well and for all the hard driving and braking going on, none overheated. The SMG works well and was suprisingly smooth. I would now consider the E60 M5 based on this experience.

The school is awesome and you will love it!!:cheers: :flag:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
vndkshn said:
And the Tire Pressure Monitoring system is junk.. I have been driving around with a warning light on my dash ever since my flat last week. Nothing seems to work to reset it.
Did you double check the tire pressure and then press and HOLD the tire pressure monitor button?

I love my M3! I've never driven a ZCP, but my impression of it is that unless you want the Interlagos blue paint, it's probably not worth the extra money. If you're going to track it you'll probably want some big ole brembo brakes and you'll probably not use the M track mode as you'll probalby end up just turning the DSC off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts