BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Thank you for the welcome in one of past pots.

Have any of you tried to put on M3 19' wheels on your M5s?

I ask this because I had these aftermarket OEM weels on my 02 M3, but didn't pass on when I sold it and bought the M5.

I know the offsets are different. However, I have my car in a shop right now trying to solve it. They told me spacers would do it.

I'll have a picture for you soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
977 Posts
IceGBG said:
That would be interesting to know.
Also interested if the CSL 19" wheels fit on the M5.
Please post some pics soon.
Rgds
Ice
The rear offset matches, the front offset on an M5 is around ET20 I believe. the M3 wheels are ET44 or ET47, so I don't think you can make it work. A Spacer is just going to make the offset difference greater.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HDClown said:
The rear offset matches, the front offset on an M5 is around ET20 I believe. the M3 wheels are ET44 or ET47, so I don't think you can make it work. A Spacer is just going to make the offset difference greater.
Well guys. Just got the car back from the shop. They told me they had to put spacers on all four wheels.

In the rear the wheels fit perfectly in the fenders. In the front the wheels were way inside the fenders, so they had to put wider spacers to bring them out. Now it looks ok. As soon as I get my hands on my digital camera I'll post a pic!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M5Brazil said:
Well guys. Just got the car back from the shop. They told me they had to put spacers on all four wheels.

In the rear the wheels fit perfectly in the fenders. In the front the wheels were way inside the fenders, so they had to put wider spacers to bring them out. Now it looks ok. As soon as I get my hands on my digital camera I'll post a pic!
Forgot to say that the rear wheel center of the M3 19's did not fit on the M5, so the spacers were necessary in order to make the wheels fit in the M5 without rubbing the wheels. I won't forget the pics!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
The wheels are hub-centric, meaning the wheels are machined exactly to match the wheel hub. M5 and M3 have different wheel bores (M3 is smaller). It's such a tight fit that a dab of grease is often used between the mating surfaces.

Be careful using spacers to eliminate the hub-centric fit!!! What you are doing, then, is relying on the wheel bolts to center the wheel on the hub, begging for an out-of-round condition. It also puts extra stress on the bolts - stress that they weren't designed to take. I sure would want to check the torque on those wheel bolts every few hundred miles when running spacers to eliminate the hub-centric design.

Good luck, fitment issues aside, they are good looking wheels.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I couldn't believe anyone would consider mounting a wheel without a proper fitting hub. The hub is critical to wheel alignment and loading.

Some of the questions and posts on this board nowadays are things that would never have been considered by the original owners of M5s. Many of the questions are repair related questions that the owner would have referred to the dealer and mentioned nothing about.

Why would I want a damaged wheel repaired and refitted to my M5? I want perfect rolling stock. Throw it away or try to sell it on eBay. Cast wheels should not be repaired. Go to BMW and buy a new wheel.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I used hubcentric rings to fit some Oettinger REs on my B5 Audi A4. The hubcentric ring is just a small piece of plastic that snaps inside the hole in the rim so the rim actually centers up on the hub properly. Then you bolt it down. I rode those wheels for about 2 years, around 25k miles with no issues what so ever. For regular driving, I'd have no issues using a hubcentric spacer. For track use, that would be too risky IMO.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think what was talked about originally was not using a hub-centric spacer. Anyway, spacers are bad in general and typically degrade handling a lot. There are a lot of suspension issues adversely affected by spacers such as scrub radius, wheel bearing loads, wheel deflection, etc. Spacers are bad news in general, but they will work. Basically, if you bolt something round to the hub assembly, you can make forward progress. I like to set my standards higher. How about wheel spacers at 190 m.p.h.? Not for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts