BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Following their usual pattern, BMW initially introduces the standard version of a vehicle, and then some time later brings out a high-performance M version. It may seem a long time in coming for the Z4, but these recent photos, taken at Germany's famous racetrack Nürburgring, show that BMW is currently testing the M version of the Z4. The final product will most likely be launched at this fall's Frankfurt Motor Show.

The new sports car may use either a 350-hp V-8 engine or the 343-hp in-line six from the current M3.

The Z4 M can be distinguished from the standard model by its big front skirt with large air intakes and by the four exhaust pipes at the rear. This prototype also is equipped with a removable hardtop and very low-profile performance tires.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8390&sid=178&n=158

Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I wonder if they gonna call it.. M4

M3, M4, M5, M6 :confused3 ouich kinggf

·
Registered
955 Posts
MortenDK said:
I wonder if they gonna call it.. M4

M3, M4, M5, M6 :confused3 ouich kinggf
maybe M Roadster? at least that's a more logical name, since Z4 is a successor to the Z3.

·
Registered
816 Posts
They should have launched the M Z4 well before. The SLK55 AMG is selling fast (so is the new SLK in general). A good thing rather late? Might even be marginalised by the new E90 M3.

I think the SLK55 AMG looks a lot sexier.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
M6 Forever said:
They should have launched the M Z4 well before. The SLK55 AMG is selling fast (so is the new SLK in general). A good thing rather late? Might even be marginalised by the new E90 M3.

I think the SLK55 AMG looks a lot sexier.
Aggreed. Too bad they took so long to bring this to market and the SLK55 does look sweet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Defnatley think the Z4 M will feature the 300 to 330 kW M 4.0L engine.. There is no way they will power it under the 270 kW SLK.. And if they went down it would most likely be the CSL engine..

It will be badged Z4 M... Z4 on the left of the car and M on the right.. probably with the press calling it the Z4 Roadster..

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I believe they need to do something dramatic given that it is so late to the game. The 4.0 V8 would be a great start. A coupe version to compete with the 997 would be an interesting shot across the bow.

Tom

·
Registered
80 Posts
bernhtp said:
I believe they need to do something dramatic given that it is so late to the game. The 4.0 V8 would be a great start. A coupe version to compete with the 997 would be an interesting shot across the bow.

Tom
I too would like to see a V8 - might consider selling my M3 convertible and picking up one of these if it had one. Spoke with my friend at the local dealership about this, and he said he'd guess the M3 6 simply because it would take much less work to fit it to the car and because he doesn't think the new V8 would be ready in time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
metzger said:
I too would like to see a V8 - might consider selling my M3 convertible and picking up one of these if it had one. Spoke with my friend at the local dealership about this, and he said he'd guess the M3 6 simply because it would take much less work to fit it to the car and because he doesn't think the new V8 would be ready in time.
I agree. I am guessing it will be very similar to the previous M roadster:
99-00: S52
01-02: S54

The questions that I have are: Will Manual be offered? Will a coupe version be available?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wonder how it will compare to the Alpina Roadster S. Obviously the Alpina is "only" 300bhp but I was quite impressed when I drove it. Aplina have also done a good job with a manual box. I completely believe my salesman friend that the official times of 0-60 in 5 and top of 165mph are a little pessimistic. Proper little rocket ship it was.

The good news is that if M do their customary job of producing a good combination of handling and speed, then a M Z4 with 350bhp should be extremely quick :haha:

·
Registered
15 Posts
asturias said:
Great!!

I just wonder weather it will have the upcoming M3´s V8 or the inline six :confused: I really hope it´s the V8 :M5rev:

Cheers
I would expect this car will use the inline 6 from the current M3, at least for the first 2 years.

Put yourself in BMW's shoes. Would you put the V8 in a roadster before the M3. The status of the M3 is way above the Z4M or M4, whatever they choose to call it. I believe the inline 6 will make way for the V8 AFTER the E60 M3 is launched, or maybe even they will wait for next iteration of the roadster.

Just my 02 cents worth.

Cheers,

Steve

BTW We are taking reservations mmmmmm

·
Registered
19 Posts
UnitedBMW said:
I would expect this car will use the inline 6 from the current M3, at least for the first 2 years.

Put yourself in BMW's shoes. Would you put the V8 in a roadster before the M3. The status of the M3 is way above the Z4M or M4, whatever they choose to call it. I believe the inline 6 will make way for the V8 AFTER the E60 M3 is launched, or maybe even they will wait for next iteration of the roadster.

Just my 02 cents worth.

Cheers,

Steve

BTW We are taking reservations mmmmmm

I'd think the opposite. Regardless of the the V10 that the V8 is derived from, the V8 will need to be tried and tested. Best way possible: realease it in a niche car like the M Roadster which will recieve little attention from the get go. If the engines blow like they did in the early S54 units, it wont generate the storm of bad press as it did back then. Although iit was just a small batch of engines, the bad press was unusually high and critical, as it should be.

The I-6 is an awesome engine but it has plateaued. The V-8 will give more of a good run against the SLK 55, and even surpass the Boxter S and enter 911 territory.

I could see the I-6 S54 being used in a non-M verion of the Z4 where the 3.0L R6 is the base engine (3.0i) and the 3.2L S54 is a 3.2iS. Maybe thats redundant, but its a nice idea.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well regardless of the engine... with the Z4's weight and the weight recudtion tey're likely to do in the M division I would almost bet on a 4.3s or 4.4s 0-100 KPH in the Z4 M.. its really going to be devastatingly quick.. and handle like a total DEMON!! COz it already is probably the best handling beemer..

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
m3urthy said:
The V-8 will give more of a good run against the SLK 55, and even surpass the Boxter S and enter 911 territory.
An M Coupe with a 400hp V8 would do more than enter 911 territory; it would quickly pass yhrough it and venture into 911tt territory.

Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
bernhtp said:
An M Coupe with a 400hp V8 would do more than enter 911 territory; it would quickly pass yhrough it and venture into 911tt territory.

Tom

Still wouldn't hold a candle to an AWD 997TT or the NA GT3.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Duno bout that.. The turbo has reached a level.. even the 997 tt wont get much better performance than the 996 turbo.. maybe better top end and in-gear but 0-100 and -160.. doubt it.. the Z4 M is gona be a crusie missile thats gona stick like glue to the road! Imagine squashing in the V10.. Im mean that bonnet is VERY long.. might fit in.. Id go 2ith 3.9 4.0s for 0-100 then... :hihi:

m3urthy said:
Still wouldn't hold a candle to an AWD 997TT or the NA GT3.

·
Registered
92 Posts
None of the cars will come at the IAA in Frankfurt. You will have to wait until Geneva 06, where more than 2 new models will be presented...

(uuhhh, I love conundrums :))

Greetings

·
Registered
9 Posts
The status of the M3 is way above the Z4M or M4, whatever they choose to call it.
The Z4 3.0 ist about 39.900 Euro and the actual 3 series E90 3.0 is about 35.900 Euro. Please note also that "4" is higher than "3".

Regardless of the answer to the important question "who is on top", please note that the M6 has the same engine as the M5 and the 6 series is much more expensive.

Back to topic: I would very very very like to opt for an M roadster. But I will not buy it if it comes with an "old" engine. The same if it comes with a "reduced" hp engine, say 360hp. This would be a show stopper for me.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts