BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share this with the community, I have been working on reproducing the very rare M Texture fabric and am very proud to post this as we are nearing final production next week!

This is the reproduction below It has not been glued together at the proper orientation yet but gives a very nice idea how it will look

For those who do not know, M Texture is a two layer fabric. At the bottom is a printed M colored pattern, as shown. This part was simple enough to reproduce

Here is an example of the new printed fabric under a layer of original perforated fabric material

BMW did not use an off the shelf perforation for this, at least nothing that is available today - they have a round perforation off the shelf that is similar but none in a square pattern quite like this. So we commissioned a custom perforation die and perforated our own

Those pictures were taken just a couple days ago. The adhesion process between the printed bottom layer and the top layer is happening next week and then it is shipping to me!

For anyone interested it is currently available at a discounted pre-order price at bmwfabric.com/mtexture

Below is a picture of an OE interior to get an idea how it looks. I love this fabric, it has long been one of my favorites and for a long time we didn't think it was feasible to reproduce due to the complexity.

Just very excited to have been able to reproduce this and wanted to share!

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Looks awesome! Never seen this before. Is it durable?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hi BlackXS,

Long time no see !

I've been watching the updates on this project and it's awesome to see that you guys are almost there in order to offer it to the worldwide E39 community ! My interior project is a few places down on my priority list so I'll miss the discounted rate but I'll be ordering some when I make final decisions on my interior upgrade and then get the work done !

A question for you is that I'd like to know if you could have different colours to the M colour fabric layer? maybe even different designs?

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks awesome! Never seen this before. Is it durable?
Same maintenance as Alcantara - clean residual oils with a warm, damp cloth to keep excess oils/dirt from building up. If too much oil/dirt builds up it will cause the material to turn glossy in high-wear spots. Kept clean it will last a very long time. Leather is more durable, but also requires treatment to last long-term. That is why BMW used leather on the high-wear bolster areas and the material in the center. It is very grippy and holds you tightly in place while cornering :smile

Hi BlackXS,

Long time no see !

I've been watching the updates on this project and it's awesome to see that you guys are almost there in order to offer it to the worldwide E39 community ! My interior project is a few places down on my priority list so I'll miss the discounted rate but I'll be ordering some when I make final decisions on my interior upgrade and then get the work done !

A question for you is that I'd like to know if you could have different colours to the M colour fabric layer? maybe even different designs?

Cheers, Dennis!
Yes absolutely we can. Minimum order for a custom material is 5 yards at standard pricing (can't apply the discounted group buy rate for a custom order).
We can do square perforations with our custom die or the off the shelf round perforated material
I am making 10 yards for myself with a darker top layer material, a round perforated material, and a M stripe layer underneath as seen below

We can also do simple colors underneath, we had a customer ask about Sakhir Orange for a new M4

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
On average, how much material would be needed to replace the 'center sections' of all of the OEM seats? How many yards roughly?

·
Registered
203 Posts
That looks great! I love mine! It grips very well and breathes in the summer unlike full leather. I never realized how complicated it would be to replicate.

Can I buy just a yard? Mine is in perfect except for the driver's left which has some light wear from getting in and out over the years. I don't think I would need much material to fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
It might be best to ask your upholsterer what they want. There's going to be minor differences given differences in technique and wastage. In any case, I'm sure blackxs can give you a conservative estimate.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On average, how much material would be needed to replace the 'center sections' of all of the OEM seats? How many yards roughly?
Yes, horn many yards are needed for the seat centers? Thanks
Generally you need 1 yard per 1 seat area. The E39 M5 seats are a little different than most, using the seat center material on the bolsters and the seat center material, so there is a chance it may need more. E46 M3's use 6 yards for four seats and four door panels. An E39 M5 will need 6 or at the absolute most, 7 yards for four seats and four door panels. For just four seats you can get away with 4-5 yards.
That looks great! I love mine! It grips very well and breathes in the summer unlike full leather. I never realized how complicated it would be to replicate.

Can I buy just a yard? Mine is in perfect except for the driver's left which has some light wear from getting in and out over the years. I don't think I would need much material to fix.
Yes you can buy just 1 yard no problem - BMWfabric.com/mtexture

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
blackxs
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing