BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Nice work! It goes very well with the black under-theme of the car Imola is such an awesome color for the beast!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wouldn't normally like it, but since you've got the black highlights going, it works very well.

Your car looks very badass, very street fighter. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Very nice, but what is the point of the splitter? Just different? Why make it look like a 540 sport?

·
10,455 Posts
boostmiser said:
Very nice, but what is the point of the splitter? Just different? Why make it look like a 540 sport?
This is the factory way to get open brake ducts without the need to do any cutting/drilling of the grills.

Looks good black too, car looks mean!
Mike :cheers:

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Now THAT looks good! :D :D :D

One question though. Are your wheels black too or just very dirty?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
atomic80 said:
Now THAT looks good! :D :D :D

One question though. Are your wheels black too or just very dirty?
That's very nice to say. Actually the wheels were powdercoated "Black Chrome" At first I thought it was too dark but it is really growing on me. In my photo's section you can see an up close picture. They are dark but they don't look black. In the direct sunlight you can see the chrome part of Black Chrome. Besides, for 300 bucks I can change them anytime.

Thanks again atomic 80 (I really like your splitter paint)

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Sorry kcdoyle, that comment wasn't meant to be offensive. I should have reworded it a bit differently. In any case, it looks GREAT! Really makes your car unique. You may want to consider getting euro headlights to complete the look. The amber corners up front looks a bit off.

As for the splitters, they're BMW OEM parts. See below:

Brake duct modication parts list:

Part numbers:
51112495280 - Grill insert
51117893048 - Cross bar (Primed)
51117890013 - Left Brake air duct
51117890014 - Right Brake air duct
Part number have to be looked up under the 540i to get the M-Technic insert part numbers.

Fender well
Cover Left 51-71-2-694-832
Cover Right 51-71-2-694-899

The only parts that are _required_ for this mod are:
51-11-7-890-013 AIR BRAKE CHANNEL FRONT LEFT
51-11-7-890-014 AIR BRAKE CHANNEL FRONT RIGHT

There are few options when doing this mod. All options are independant of each other. Pick and choose as you see fit.

Option 1: Air Goes In
a) New M-Technic grill (no hole drilling required)
b) Drill holes in the original grill. (1/2" brad point drill bit)

Option 2: Air Goes Out
a) New "euro" covers with holes already cut 51-71-2-694-832 & 51-71-2-694-899. (approx cost: $55-70 for left, and $65-80 for right)
b) Cut square holes for air exit (drill, dremel tool, or sawzall ... no, don't use a sawzall...)

Option 3: Attachment
a) Attach new ducts to M-Technic grill (there are tabs on the back of the grill)
b) Attach ducts to aluminum channel with black nylon zip ties
c) Attach ducts to aluminum channel with screws (#10 1/2" screws and BMW nuts 07-12-9-925-739)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
atomic80 said:
Sorry kcdoyle, that comment wasn't meant to be offensive. I should have reworded it a bit differently. In any case, it looks GREAT! Really makes your car unique. You may want to consider getting euro headlights to complete the look. The amber corners up front looks a bit off.
Hey atomic80...

Didn't take any offense at all. I would like to do the clear corners but it's always a toss-up. That is about the cost of Powerchip, tyres, etc.

You would be surprised at the number of comments I get about how "mean" the car looks. Oh well...I was trying to be discreet. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts