BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we've seen the Z3 body facelift(should I say rearlift as the change happens to be more obvious in the back of the car) and the new M3 engine.
Does anyone has any idea when they are gonna do a complete change on the Z3 body?
Z3 has been around for 4-5 years and judging from past history, 2-3 more years, BMW will introduce a new body.

I sold my M Roadster for an S4 (see my previous postings) and now I am DOWN TO my only vehicle (E39 M5) and the sun is nice out there and the wind is blowing and my moonroof is too small.
After owning an M Roadster, I have pretty much ruled out the SLK (despite the 320 version) and the Boxster (despite the S version). Should I wait or should I buy??

best regards,
BrianC

P.S. AD has mentioned that his wife has an M3 convertible on order. Do you have reliable source indicating a convertible version is coming to North America? Last I heard, only the coupe is coming...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why did you rule out the Boxter and the boxter S? Those are great cars, and on the first few gears of the Boxter S sure feels like an M5.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I heard that BMW will be doing an overhaul in the looks department on the Z3- this is from someone at the local dealer, he said, it will make you "forget all about the current Z3" didnt say when, but I got the sense its more than 1 year off. If you like the roadster so much, why not setup a 2 year lease? I know its not the greatest financially, but you can give the car back and be all setup for something new.

///////////ME

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To MEnthusiast:

Thanks for the info. Leasing seems to be the greatest idea. Throughout my car driving life, I've never consider such option. Stupid me
I think Monday, I will dig into the idea and evaluate the financial consequences

To M5 Man:

In terms of Boxster, my associate has one. When I still had my M Roadster we did a "comparison" in acceleration. Mind you, my associate is a way better driver than myself and I managed to outrun him on an upward slope (for local Torontonians, we did it on Avenue road right pass Downtown fine cars and the church) by more than 2 cars' length. I was totally disappointed in the Boxster in terms of acceleration. It may feel like the M5 in terms of the first few gears and it certainly sounds way better than the M5 (thanks to the mid engine placement), but speedwise, it can't even come close to a North American version of an M Roadster.
In terms of roof operation, Boxster has one of the fanciest mechanism (aside from SLK's 30 seconds hard top convertible show) but it is too slow (about 15 seconds we timed). There were too many embarassing moments when we try to open the roof when the stop lights turned from Red to Green and the roof half way down.
Then I went and test driven the Boxster S. Probably because I was set up with so much expectation and people were telling me it's night and day between a Boxster and its kin S. I can feel the car being ted faster but from the night and day comment, I do expect a little more than that
I have a feeling that my S4 can outrun the Boxster S any day/night I so choose :p
P.S. Porsche has gotta do something better than what it is now in terms of interior design of a Boxster/S! Too plasticky!

That's my 2 cents worth on evaluation a Boxster/Boxster S.

best regards,
BrianC

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Brian,
youre totally welcome. Leasing costs you more b/c of the built in interest they charge- but it gives you freedom and it seems like thats what you are asking for- so in essence youre buying that freedom- and its amatorized over the lease.

I participated in the Susan Komen/ BMW Drive for the Cure two years ago and I took a friend. We choose to drive the 750 and the M roadster. The 750 was very nice but not for us. the M Roadster was amazing!!!! Kind of like having a sophisticated go-kart. So around a year ago we decided to go to a dealer to test drive the roadster again- and again we left with big smiles- like these,
!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts