BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!!

Frank Macaluso here from @Gareageaholic. I've performed many BMW modern engine swaps including the E30 S62, E30 M30, E30 M60, E30 N54, E36 N54, but now I am taking on the biggest project I've ever done - And it's proving to be pretty challenging.

-That's the E31 850i with an S85B50

A big part of ensuring that this engines swap goes smoothly is to ensure that all preventative maintenance on the S85 has been done, because we all know that there is litany of preventative maintenance items to be performed on the S85 V10 engine.

But none the least of which is the Rod Bearings and Bolts. I have scoured the internet for suppliers of the best, most readily available, and the best deal on both the bolts and the bearings. I've decided to upgrade the pairing of ARP-2000 bolts with the BE Bearings. I've heard a lot of good info about the longevity of this setup and the performance. So in looking I finally found Mpowermotorsports.org. It's an underrated site at the moment, but is getting a lot of steam lately in google search engines. Not only are they offering Throttle Actuators for a killer price, but they have also been offering S85 bearings (ACL/BE) and bolts (ARP). Their website shows that these guys offered the bolts and the bearings at a killer price, which was better (by a good margin) than any of the other companies I found at the top of the google search list. The big ones, even the smaller ones.

I'll be starting a dedicated thread on this build, but you can find me on YT and IG posting regular updates there. My YT is pretty detailed as to the methodology for fitting the S85 into this E31. Thanks again guys!

·
1,827 Posts
That is one crazy build. What trans will you be using?

AFAIKnew only redline360 had 10% off, good to know there's another site offering the same discount now. Pretty sure the site you bought from is run by member @AbdulM .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is one crazy build. What trans will you be using?

AFAIKnew only redline360 had 10% off, good to know there's another site offering the same discount now. Pretty sure the site you bought from is run by member @AbdulM .
I got a GS6-53BZ Trans from an 08 M6 so it'll be 6 speed. And I got the custom DME from SCSDelta so that's already taken care of.

It's been a long on-going project actually. Looking to finally complete it this summer, so I plan to take the drivetrain out this April and start working on S85 Prev Maintenance. And that's right, @AbdulM is the owner of ///MPowerMotorsports. I found him while google searching for the bolts and i thought it was too good to be true (the price), so i contacted him and low and behold, it was the actual price and the quality is exactly what I'd expect!

I was going to go with redline360, but the price was a bit higher and there was a long lead time on the BE Bearings. So i went to the path of least resistance.

I would have a hard time removing the butter smooth V12 but the car is worthy of the S85.
Thanks, yeah, I was VERY torn on what engine I wanted and knew that if I went S85 that the budget and timeline would be 4-8x longer than if I kept the M70, went LS1, or even went S62. Since I have an S62 in my E30 and honestly love it, I felt like puttting that same engine in a 1000lb heavier car wouldn't give me much of a rise. So because I HAD to stay with a BMW engine (my own restriction), i decided on S85. Honestly, it'll have 530hp which is amazing, but more than anything else, I just want to experience that sound!

This is the intro video. I bought this in May of 2013, so about 7 years of collecting parts, gaskets, window regulators, fluids, engine/trans parts, and just saving and planning.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The E60 is about 4000 ponds, how much is an 850? I think it's 100#=10hp? The sound is killer for sure but driving under three digets will kill you. We have the covid thing going so the cops are not pulling over for speeding. I was just doing 120 in my 750, pure bliss!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, i think it's something like 4150lbs. at 530hp, that's bout 7-8lbs/hp. It'll be fun but i'm really doing it for the sound and the technical challenge, honestly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The E60 is about 4000 ponds, how much is an 850? I think it's 100#=10hp? The sound is killer for sure but driving under three digets will kill you. We have the covid thing going so the cops are not pulling over for speeding. I was just doing 120 in my 750, pure bliss!
Alan are they really not pulling people over? We live close to eachother. I saw someone pulled over the other day. probably for something else?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I love this car. I wish they still made this car.
I wish they still made real cars. Not some fukcing i-**** computer on wheels.
BE is a good choice.
Post pics as you go, and video clips please. Will definitely follow.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Alan are they really not pulling people over? We live close to eachother. I saw someone pulled over the other day. probably for something else?
Roads are almost empty but VA state police are still pulling over for sure. They are definitely waiting for you after you cross over the bridge from MD 🤣.. thank goodness for the few waze users cuz I was hitting 150 when I noticed it.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
We drove from Santa Barbara to San Jose yesterday afternoon and evening and I have honestly never seen so many CHP out on that stretch of 101. I think I say 10 or more which you normally see 3-4. Not sure why but they are out patrolling for sure - and many of them were not just driving but set up in position to radar. I just drove slow the whole way - wasn't worth risking a ticket, plus I was in my truck anyway which is a brick and any speeds over 70 really kill the mpg. I was doing low 70's most of the way, mid 70's in the one stretch of 70mph speed limit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We drove from Santa Barbara to San Jose yesterday afternoon and evening and I have honestly never seen so many CHP out on that stretch of 101. I think I say 10 or more which you normally see 3-4. Not sure why but they are out patrolling for sure - and many of them were not just driving but set up in position to radar. I just drove slow the whole way - wasn't worth risking a ticket, plus I was in my truck anyway which is a brick and any speeds over 70 really kill the mpg. I was doing low 70's most of the way, mid 70's in the one stretch of 70mph speed limit.
I figure that they know their quotas are certainly not going to be met in the coming months due to the quarantine, so they are trying to take all they can get. Yeah, seems like the cops are MORE worried about speeding than ever before because you can't blend in with the crowd anymore if there's a fraction of people on the road now.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
there was most certainly a fraction of the normal weekend traffic flow - still lots of trucks as you would expect, but much fewer cars flying along way over the limit - so not many rabbits for me to follow! oh well - slower is better in my truck anyway as it was I barely managed 18mpg. Probably about what the M5 would have done on the same trip. At least gas is cheap now! Paid $2.85 at a truck stop station I like to stop at near Paso Robles. That's pretty cheap for CA with our monopoly gas blend and the high taxes per gallon here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts