BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Cyrus said:
Anyone ever gone from 17"'s to 18's?

I'm not worried about ride quailty but does tramlining get alot worse?
The tramlining will only get worse if you go for wider tyres - and in my experience, directional tyres tramline more than asymetric tyres.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cyrus said:
Anyone ever gone from 17"'s to 18's?

I'm not worried about ride quailty but does tramlining get alot worse?
-------------------
Hy Cyrus

Slightly bumpier - especially at the back, nothing too significant.
I only noticed slightly more tramlining with the my new 18's, replaced the 17 throwing stars in March. I am running Kumho Ecsta on the front 245/40 and 275/35 on the back Bridgestone S03's.
High speed stability is a little better. Looks are pheneomenal (original BMW E39 M5 wheels).

Rgds
J

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cyrus said:
If I do go 18's yes the throw starts will be sold.

Most likely will go 18's after respray.
----------------

got any ideas which ones you prefer the looks of. When I was looking it was a pain to get the right sizes ie wider rears. The alloys I really liked were either 235's or 225's.

rgds
J

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only wheels I would even consider outside of M parrells is the ACS type 3's.

However, its likely I will go for the M parrallels. E39 M5 wheels are something I did look into but they look so so wrong on E34's. I also dont like putting origional wheels from another model onto other cars. It gives the impression your trying to be like the later model.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cyrus said:
The only wheels I would even consider outside of M parrells is the ACS type 3's.

However, its likely I will go for the M parrallels. E39 M5 wheels are something I did look into but they look so so wrong on E34's. I also dont like putting origional wheels from another model onto other cars. It gives the impression your trying to be like the later model.
--------------------
Sorry Cyrus but...
I respectfully disagree....everyone who has seen my car with the e39 wheels thinks they look great and suit the car well.
I didn't want to give the impression I was trying to look like an E39, but if thats what people think - I am quite happy to let them.

http://www.garaget.org/?car=6095

take a look - hope you change your mind re the looks.

rgds

J

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice looking car.

Shame about the alloys though.

Dont worry J, its not a personal thing, its just my opinion.

It looks too " Im trying to be a E39 m5". The car and the alloys dont gel together.

But everyone to his own, as long as you like them its all good. I wont be fitting those to my car though.

BTW, condition of car looks fantastic!:viking:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Cyrus said:
Nice looking car.

Shame about the alloys though.

Dont worry J, its not a personal thing, its just my opinion.

It looks too " Im trying to be a E39 m5". The car and the alloys dont gel together.

But everyone to his own, as long as you like them its all good. I wont be fitting those to my car though.

BTW, condition of car looks fantastic!:viking:
-----------------
Cyrus

Thanks for appreciating the condition of the car. I have been utterly anal in looking after it, even had a full repaint on the front ie boot, wings, doors, grills. Regularly wax it and keep it ina warm garage - I am the second owner and the first guy in Germany also kept it in a warm garage, it really makes a difference - especially if you look underneath the car.

Your right - each to their own re the appearance of our cars.

Rgds

J

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Jahangeer said:
-----------------
Cyrus

Thanks for appreciating the condition of the car. I have been utterly anal in looking after it, even had a full repaint on the front ie boot, wings, doors, grills. Regularly wax it and keep it ina warm garage - I am the second owner and the first guy in Germany also kept it in a warm garage, it really makes a difference - especially if you look underneath the car.

Your right - each to their own re the appearance of our cars.

Rgds

J
J

The car looks great must agree with Cyrus that the condition is great.

Simon

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine will be getting a very high quailty respray next month! The whole car.

After that its my turn to be anal about how clean it stays.

Should look good with some brand new 18" Wheels.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Jahangeer said:
--------------------
Sorry Cyrus but...
I respectfully disagree....everyone who has seen my car with the e39 wheels thinks they look great and suit the car well.
With all respect I think they look awful on your car. The standard wheels - either Throwing Stars or Parallells are unbeatable on the e34. Or maybe a set of BBS LMs at a push. The wheel is just too complex and flat for the boxy style of the car.

It might not be the case near you but the UK is full of base spec e34s wearing (fake) e39 M5 wheels.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Cyrus
I think you may be better of with M Parallel 18 inch or Turbine 2 17 inch.
The E39 18 inch whell is a nice thing but Ste has a point.
It has got to be the most copied of all 5 series wheels & they are fitted to everything.
The copy wheels look good but they are usually heavier than my dad.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
ste
You are right it is not the case here in Sweden.

Farrel
Mine are authentic BMW alloys, I would never buy a set of copies.
--------

I dont think I will ever drive to the uk with these wheels on, after what you guys have told me!!
It sounds like every 520i has got a set of e39 m5 wheels.

Glad I live in Sweden at the moment!

Rgds
J

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Jahangeer said:
ste
You are right it is not the case here in Sweden.

Farrel
Mine are authentic BMW alloys, I would never buy a set of copies.
--------

I dont think I will ever drive to the uk with these wheels on, after what you guys have told me!!
It sounds like every 520i has got a set of e39 m5 wheels.

Glad I live in Sweden at the moment!

Rgds
J
No offence meant on the copy wheels mate.
I knew yours where the real thing for sure.
A look on EBAY shows the number of lookey likey E39 M5 wheels.
They are heavier by some 10 % to get their strength through mass using inferior material and manufacturing such as pour cast as opposed to forging methods where dispersal of the molten alloy is better controlled.

You pay your money & you takes your choice..

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
farrell said:
No offence meant on the copy wheels mate.
I knew yours where the real thing for sure.
A look on EBAY shows the number of lookey likey E39 M5 wheels.
They are heavier by some 10 % to get their strength through mass using inferior material and manufacturing such as pour cast as opposed to forging methods where dispersal of the molten alloy is better controlled.

You pay your money & you takes your choice..

Regards
Farrell
-----------------

No offense taken sir.
What is the forging method? And why is it better?

rgds
J

1 - 20 of 20 Posts