BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE NEXT M3 WILL BE CALLED... THE M3
T he next-generation BMW 3-series doesn't arrive until fall 2005; we'll likely have to wait an additional year for the next M3 which will be called the M3 and not the M4, as reported in May. BMW had intended to introduce a new model-naming system, wherein 2-series and 4-series would have designated the coupe and convertible versions of the 1-series and the 3-series, respectively, while only sedans would have odd-numbered names, but the company recently ditched that plan, probably because the M3 moniker has too much market equity. The current M3's in-line six will give way to a 400-horsepower, 4.0-liter V-8 and, in a stripped, racetrack-ready CSL version, a 440-horsepower, 4.4-liter unit. This lineup will dovetail nicely with the M5/M6's 500-horsepower, 5.0-liter V-10 and 550-horsepower, 5.5-liter V-10 (for the M6 CSL). The M3's V-8 will weigh no more than the outgoing six. Fewer moving parts, substantially reduced friction, and a lightweight valve train will create super fast throttle response and an unparalleled willingness to rev. Special features include an even quicker double VANOS camshaft-adjustment device, one instant-on throttle blade per cylinder, and an even more refined, g-force-defying lubrication system.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The relative quick "speed" at which the new M3 will be launched ("additional 12 months" after new 3 series), according to your post could indicate BMW is keen to supply the market with M models faster than it did in the past (as we know, 3 years plus in previous M's). Great news if this is true! About time too, if you look at how fast AMG is throwing out new models.

As I'm lined up for M6 coupe, I hope the M6 will turn out a few months after M5. I'm so sick of waiting! The only other question is the M6 power: 500hp or 550hp? I think "standard" M6 will be 500hp. I keep reading conflicting rumours. BMW really needs to be aware of the Benz game - CL 55/65 AMG models and CLS AMG all seem to go towards 600hp. (Then again the Benz are all heavy weight tanks).

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
This car description excites me. While I will get the new M5, I bet I pass on the M6 cabrio and wait another year to get the new M3 cabrio. I will take a look at the M6 first, but thus far it does little for me.

Tom

·
Registered
140 Posts
5.5l M6 CSL, come to me....... :thumbsup:
Want to see them soon, can 't wait any longer :crying:

:viking:

B

·
0 Posts
It's good that BMW kept the current model numbers, and those HP numbers do look impressive. Thanks for sharing the info.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My e24 M6 wants a new Big Brother: M6 CSL

Can't wait!!! Can't afford it, but hey, who knows what the next few years will bring?!?

:noSMG:

·
Registered
28 Posts
CEC said:
Does anyone know if there are any plans for a 4-door version of the next M3? I want an alternative to the next M5.
The rumor was that the E90 M coupe(2 door) would be named M4 and the sedan(4 door) would be named M3, we know now that BMW has scrapped the 4 series nameplate for the coupe version. My guess is you will see a 4 door M3 to directly compete with the C55 and S4. The e36 M3 4 door sold great here in the States, it would be a great addition in the M lineup.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would prefer a four door to a coupe (if I got a hardtop).

Out of curiosity, what rules of thumb are there for comparative weight and stiffness/handling in sedans vs. coupes of otherwise the same model?

Tom

·
Registered
146 Posts
The 4- door will be a M3

The coupe/cabrio will be a M4 and the design goes in the line to the six-model!
latest news from Auto Motor and sport Germany:blabla:
Gruss Butzy

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm not so sure I beleive all of the Automobile report. BMW has been clearly demonstrating that all sedans (4 doors) will be odd numbered and all 2 doors will be even numbered. That would make the next two door an M4, not an M3. The argument is that the M3 moniker has to much history to dump in favor of an M4 moniker. With DC cranking out AMGs right and left, who's to say there won't eventually be both an M3 (4 doors) AND and an M4 (2 doors)?

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Eww what happened to the looks of that M3?

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Synergy said:
I think the proper term for this phenomenon is "Bangleized."

Ewwwwwww that bozo touched the 3 series too :grrrr: :crying:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
Ewwwwwww that bozo touched the 3 series too :grrrr: :crying:

Yes indeed he did, Already the current 3-ser has been designed with him in the house.
I wouldn\t comlain too much over that poor CGI, its well done but propably not very close to truth (even if I think its quite nice, clear resemblance to the current 3)

:cheers:
Sakke

1 - 20 of 22 Posts