BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, but did not come up with anything about the Multi-function seats. I have put an order in for my E60 M5, but am still debating about the need/functionality of the adaptive seats and I am running out of time. Has anyone been on the track with them, and did they feel they were a significant improvement on a regular seat?? Do they constantly adjust? And is this distracting at all? Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Answers:..yes they adjust as your going into a corner depending on what side.
You can't get the FULL leather package without the active seat upgrade.
I got the upgrade because all i wanted was the freakin a/c seat here in Florida, total bill is 4500 bucks dealers cost for the active seat and full leather with a/c, heated seat package. For that kind of money, i better not feal i drip of sweat come down the crack of my a**.

Floyd

Leadfoot said:
I did a search, but did not come up with anything about the Multi-function seats. I have put an order in for my E60 M5, but am still debating about the need/functionality of the adaptive seats and I am running out of time. Has anyone been on the track with them, and did they feel they were a significant improvement on a regular seat?? Do they constantly adjust? And is this distracting at all? Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Leadfoot said:
Thanks for the link, Ashok. I put all the different keywords in and couldn't get it to pull anything on multifunction seats for some reason. Link still does not speak to how people who have ordered the seats like them. Do they really make a difference?
I have them on mine and I would not call it a must have option and in everyday driving they are just plain annoying. At my age having you kidneys massaged leads to extra toilet stops :biggrin: . If you take it on the twisties, however, they do hold you in nicely.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The ability to adjust the upper part of the backrest makes a big difference IMO. You get a much better seating position. Last week I drove another M5 for 300km, that did not have the MF seats. They actually felt bad compared to my MF seats.

Another important issue for me, was the active headrests. Protects you from whiplash injuries!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Another important issue for me, was the active headrests. Protects you from whiplash injuries![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies chris/cidair. Cidair, I did not know the standard seats did not have the active headrests--that gives me something else to think about. And by the way, I ordered Silverstone II/Black/Madeira myself.cherrsagai

·
Registered
11 Posts
m5floyd said:
I got the upgrade because all i wanted was the freakin a/c seat here in Florida, total bill is 4500 bucks dealers cost for the active seat and full leather with a/c, heated seat package. For that kind of money, i better not feal i drip of sweat come down the crack of my a**.

Floyd
First post - so I'm hoping it goes well!

Spec'd my E60 a few weeks ago and really wanted a/c seat but the price in the UK for upgraded leather (which is required for the a/c seat option) is over 5000 pounds plus 850 pounds for the a/c seat option which is over 9000 bucks. Opted for the Active Seat option.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
4810510 said:

Spec'd my E60 a few weeks ago and really wanted a/c seat but the price in the UK for upgraded leather (which is required for the a/c seat option) is over 5000 pounds plus 850 pounds for the a/c seat option which is over 9000 bucks. Opted for the Active Seat option.
So you're saying they wanted you to get Full Leather in order to get perforated leather for the active ventilation option??? That's crazy, that is...

In my Alpina, I have extended perforated Merino leather on comfort seats, with the heating/cooling option and 4MF, the kidney hugging option - I chose the latter over the active massage function - I may yet regret that decision, but we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hythe said:
So you're saying they wanted you to get Full Leather in order to get perforated leather for the active ventilation option??? That's crazy, that is...
Yeah, you can only specify the Active Seat Ventilation (815 GBP) with the Full Perforated Merino Leather (5320 GBP) and M Seats (1245 GBP). A grand total of 7380 GBP (12000 USD) for a cool bum!

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Welcome!

4810510 said:

·
Registered
722 Posts
m5floyd said:

Floyd
Well, this is going to sound like absolute BMW sports sedan heresy. Purists have my apology in advance.

I've been putting full sheepskin covers over the front seats of my BMW's now for about 10 years, always in black that perfectly matches my black leather (with wood) interior. The visual effect to my eye is that of even greater luxury. As a result, the seat is very comfortable at all times. Never cold in winter. Never hot in summer. Body weight is distributed on the seat more uniformly over a wider area. After 5 years and 70,000 miles in my E39 M5, the leather beneath these sheepskins looks absolutely pristine.

I hear people praise the ventilated seats. I've never owned a ventilated/perforated car seat, but somehow I can't imagine how those tiny, intermittent pores can allow the skin to breathe as well as sheepskin, when one's body is pressed tightly against and essentially occluding the pores. Moreover, the requirement of full leather to get those ventilated seats in the M5 makes no inherent sense. The environment that makes the most sense for ventilated seats is also hostile to full leather for cars that are not garaged during the day.

Sheepskin reduces surface friction compared to leather. As a result, it's easier to enter and exit the seat. This reduced friction has the theoretical disadvantage of reducing the adhesive properties of the seat under conditions of lateral acceleration and deceleration. I've never found this to be a problem in practice. Since I neither left foot brake nor heel/toe shift, my seating position is further secured by a planted left foot. If next month, I decide to take my M5 to Road Atlanta (very unlikely in my case), it's very easy to slip off the driver's sheepskin cover for the day.

Although I like the look of the full leather (that came at no extra charge in my E39 M5), I suspect that I'll be ordering my E60 M5 without full leather or the multifunction seats.

Richard

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is $4,500 the dealer cost for the complete vented seat package (full leather, multi function, vented)? MSRP is $6,200 correct?

m5floyd said:

Floyd

·
Registered
431 Posts
Those are the correct figures..i asked my dealer to cut me a break as I was paying 10k over sticker anyway. His manager approved for me to get "their cost" on the seat package.

Floyd
Kelly777 said:
Is $4,500 the dealer cost for the complete vented seat package (full leather, multi function, vented)? MSRP is $6,200 correct?

·
Registered
196 Posts
So not to completely change the subject, but does anyone here think the perforated leather for the ventilation looks funny compared to the seats that dont have it? I think the ventilated seats would be great during summer but I am concerned it wont look as nice or "clean" as the leather without the holes. This is the one option I am stuck on before ordering the car. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
EricM said:
So not to completely change the subject, but does anyone here think the perforated leather for the ventilation looks funny compared to the seats that dont have it? I think the ventilated seats would be great during summer but I am concerned it wont look as nice or "clean" as the leather without the holes. This is the one option I am stuck on before ordering the car. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks

Eric
I was on the same boat as you. Since I live in florida I really wanted the ventilated seats but the problem was they didn't come with red interior and after seeing the seats in the 7 series it was a quick decision for me. I think the holes look terrible, so I went with my first choice red int. w/out ventilated seats.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I got the vented seats in my Lexus gs430 last year and loved them. I have the tan interior and the holes are only in the middle part of the seat. I will be driving all the way over to your neck of the woods to get my car at Brammen as I live over here in Naples. Brammen is getting the first round of cars before anyone else on this side. The comfort is worth it!

EBuyuk said:
I was on the same boat as you. Since I live in florida I really wanted the ventilated seats but the problem was they didn't come with red interior and after seeing the seats in the 7 series it was a quick decision for me. I think the holes look terrible, so I went with my first choice red int. w/out ventilated seats.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
m5floyd said:
I got the vented seats in my Lexus gs430 last year and loved them. I have the tan interior and the holes are only in the middle part of the seat. I will be driving all the way over to your neck of the woods to get my car at Brammen as I live over here in Naples. Brammen is getting the first round of cars before anyone else on this side. The comfort is worth it!
I'm getting my car from Braman as well. Who did you purchase the car from? I think they are getting 5 cars in their first round. Maybe we'll end up getting the car the same time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts