BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has experienced the M driving school in South Carolina?
I hear it's a lot of fun and people really do learn a lot. I was thinking about doing the course, and wondered if anyone has any input.
Just the fact that you get to beat on someone else's M5 and not your own, is definetly worth the price of admission!:hihi: :M5launch:

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Bump. Is the M driving school worth it? How does it compare to regular tracking events (HPDE and TT)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The M-School was well worth it for me. It includes 2 days of track exercises, hotel, meals, a helmet, and a few other goodies. The exercises range from figure 8's, skidpad, the best line in curves, etc and you progress from using parts of the track until the second day that you use the whole track. The south carolina track is very tight so you won't see speeds higher than 80 mph (at best) so compare to many HDPE events it is very slow. It's a step above the car control clinics and have the great thing that you use their cars and that they are all M-cars. You do use traction control in MDM mode for most of the track exercises. If you are an HDPE veteran this course might not be worth it but if you want an introduction to M-cars and track use is a great way of trying it without risking your own vehicle. They also give a discount to CCA members. For graduates of this they offer the Advanced M-School in VIR which is not all inclusive but you do reach much higher track speeds.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've done the one-day school a couple of times. The instructors described it as high-g, not high-speed. The schools are really well run, and it would be hard to squeeze more fun into a day. I would be very surprised if anyone did not walk away with a big smile on their face. Incidentally, one of those schools back in 2002 (IIRC) is where I fell in love with the e39 m5.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Bump. Is the M driving school worth it? How does it compare to regular tracking events (HPDE and TT)?
Well, value is subjective.

I think you would get better value by doing a few BMW CCA schools first. You can do it much cheaper, although you do put some wear and tear on your car. But other than a set of brake pads, and MAYBE a set of tires (depending on how quickly you learn), you get more hands on time. Most clubs have a helmet rental program, although I would opt to buy if I thought I had any remote interest in doing this more than once. And an autocross or two is also cheaper and teaches alot, different than track time (and occassionally contradictory--things that work for autocross sometimes have to be "unlearned" at higher speeds).

After that, if you still want the M school, I think you will get a lot more out of it having learned a bunch of car control basics before you get there. Again, just IMHO, don't think there is a right or wrong answer.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
77 Posts
I choose the Bondurant 4 day grand prix road racing over the M school. Couldn't have been happier I did it in 110 degrees in july in order to get the discount and I had time off then. Tons of track time and great teaching overall. Corey Hosford was my instructor and was one of the main reasons I enjoyed the course so much. If you had to bring an M or wanted to drive a something else you're allowed to use your own car instead of the corvettes. The only thing I would do differently is not do the course in the summer for the discount its just to hot in phoenix and i've never been hotter in my life. I learned alot and have recommended it to a couple of my friends and they loved it as well. Then again depends on where you live, east coast BMWs m will probably be cheaper because of air fare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts