BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you press M drive button what happend next, you have just one setting to choose already pre configured via I drive menu , or you can have more saved options that you call with the M drive button

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ronald Patafta said:
when you press M drive button what happend next, you have just one setting to choose already pre configured via I drive menu , or you can have more saved options that you call with the M drive button
One preconfigures setting through the iDrive menu. This setting is called up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so for example, on the m drive button you have : P500, S3, edc comfort, dsc normal, ect. ect, and you drive then you want to make alittle fun with somebody and you must first push the button for smg to for example S5, then the iDrive menu for the P500 sport, then the button for dsc sport, then the button for edc sport ect. ect uf to much, why not 3 or 4 preconfigurated options and you can call it via M drive button?

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
1,797 Posts
Well, why not use the M button setting for the times you want fun and are in a hurry, and the rest of the time to manually chose what setting you want.....

A loot smarter IMO.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ronald Patafta said:
yes, ok but just one setting, i think it's to little compared to some hundred possibile
well you have 14 gearbox settings, 3 power settings, 3 differential settings and 3 suspension settings. 14 * 3 * 3 * 3 = 378 possible combinations :)

The M button is really only ment to set the car into "fun mode" with just one button. Rest of the time you can select the mode you want with the buttons at the center console.

In my experience you won't be switching between modes all that much. At first you'll be playing around alot but at some time you grow bored of it and find a setting which suites you best for everyday driving and use the M button for when you need to get into attack mode.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
There are way too many settings to manually configure each time you get into the car. The M-drive is a great idea not taken to its logical conclusion. While it's great to be able to hit a single button to get your favorite performance profile loaded, it would also be great to hit a single button to get your normal driving profile, super comfort profile, or full-out race profile loaded as well.

So, people will be able to press M on occasions when they want to have some sporty fun, but will need to endure considerable tedium every time they enter the car in configuring buttons because the defaults apparently suck.

As with the rest of iDrive, M-drive is a good idea with a poor/incomplete implementation.

Tom

·
Registered
829 Posts
bernhtp said:
There are way too many settings to manually configure each time you get into the car. The M-drive is a great idea not taken to its logical conclusion. While it's great to be able to hit a single button to get your favorite performance profile loaded, it would also be great to hit a single button to get your normal driving profile, super comfort profile, or full-out race profile loaded as well.

So, people will be able to press M on occasions when they want to have some sporty fun, but will need to endure considerable tedium every time they enter the car in configuring buttons because the defaults apparently suck.

As with the rest of iDrive, M-drive is a good idea with a poor/incomplete implementation.

Tom
The thing is that DSC, EDC, Chair, HUD and whatever is saved and it's even saved according to which key, you can have upto 6 keys. So if you get it then you could have the sports mode (EDC sport, DSC off) as default but if the wife gets in she could have the save comfort mode (EDC comfort, DSC on) as default. The only 2 things that are not saved are the power setting and the transmission setting. Power always reverts back to P400 and transmission always reverts back to D1.

So your normal driving profile is there, it's always active.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
frylord said:
The thing is that DSC, EDC, Chair, HUD and whatever is saved and it's even saved according to which key, you can have upto 6 keys.
That's better than I feared.

What happens when you have comfort access and both you and your wife get into the car, each with your own key? How does it know which belongs to the driver?

Tom

·
Registered
2009 M6 Coupe 24000 miles Saphire Black
1,797 Posts
bernhtp said:

What happens when you have comfort access and both you and your wife get into the car, each with your own key? How does it know which belongs to the driver?

Tom

Good question ?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ronald Patafta said:
wich 6 keys, you mean car keys?, but that's another problem i will not change keys while driving
Stop being a smartarse will you? The last settings for one key are saved and called up when you get in and start the car. Are you really that lazzy that you can't just push a few buttons on the center console to change the mode?

·
Registered
829 Posts
bernhtp said:

Tom
I was asking myself that same question. Although it is technicaly possible to detect which keyholder is sitting in the drivers chair I do not know if BMW has this. MB does.

·
Registered
240 Posts
frylord said:
I was asking myself that same question. Although it is technicaly possible to detect which keyholder is sitting in the drivers chair I do not know if BMW has this. MB does.
u mean u dont have to put the key in to turn it on?? dam i wanted that :crying:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
frylord said:
You can scan in your derriere biometrics and enable the "rear-end recognition (RER)". This is a new enhancement to i-drive this year. A few twists of the knob, and your rear is memorized!

·
Registered
722 Posts
bernhtp said:

Tom
I've been curious about how this all works, and this is not good news. Without even owning the M5 yet, I know that I'll want to set up the M button for "optimal public road performance," as I define it. I know that I'll gravitate to specific everyday S and D transmission settings, and I'd like to include the EDC and DSC settings in each. I should be able to set these in iDrive, and thereafter when I start the car and when I move between S and D transmission modes, I should be moving between these personalized settings. No matter what transmission mode I am in when I activate the M-mode, I want to return to the same transmission setting when the M-button is pressed again. If the M5 does not facilitate these things now, hopefully BMW can fix this in future software updates.

It's the moment-to-moment micromanagement of minutia while driving that makes cell phones a driving hazard. Improperly implemented, I can envision that SMG-III could be enough of a nuisance and a dangerous distraction that I would nostalgically long for the simplicity of control I now have with the E39 M5.

Richard

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rsteele, that's exactly the same thing that i want also to have minimum 2 settings to have and i see that in the moment it is not there

·
Registered
185 Posts
frylord said:
well you have 14 gearbox settings, 3 power settings, 3 differential settings and 3 suspension settings. 14 * 3 * 3 * 3 = 378 possible combinations :)

What Differential Settings?? Both you and Jeremy Clarkson say the differential is adjustable to 3 setting, but I can't find that at all in my car. No button, nada!

Am I missing something?

Jonas

1 - 20 of 33 Posts