Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Sorry that this is off topic since this is a M5 board, but this is news about an M car! According to Germancarfans.com They said that the Z4 M coupe will have the E46 M3 CSL engine tuned up to 410-420 hp! In that case.. this thing will be a rocket! I assume it will be the fastest BMW yet. Im ready to order! :M5thumbs:
Here is the Link-
http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6050920.001/page/1/bmw/1.html

~Alpha~

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
somehow I doubt the power numbers.... That is getting really close to the rumored output of the new V8.

And for a "spy pic".. it sure looks like a chop or cgi...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Looks like the pics of the black car on the lower right hand side of the page are the spy shots. The silver car -definitely- looks doctored. I had a chat with my local dealer about the new M Coupe last week; he had no idea what I was talking about...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Alpha43 said:
Hey guys,
Sorry that this is off topic since this is a M5 board, but this is news about an M car! According to Germancarfans.com They said that the Z4 M coupe will have the E46 M3 CSL engine tuned up to 410-420 hp! In that case.. this thing will be a rocket! I assume it will be the fastest BMW yet. Im ready to order! :M5thumbs:
Here is the Link-
http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6050920.001/page/1/bmw/1.html

~Alpha~
Despite the numbers are ture or not. I wonder if they just squeeze the existing 7 Speed SMG 3 gear box into the current E46 M3 CSL motor. How much more performance it would gain? Any idea anyone?

Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
BMWforever said:
Despite the numbers are ture or not. I wonder if they just squeeze the existing 7 Speed SMG 3 gear box into the current E46 M3 CSL motor. How much more performance it would gain? Any idea anyone?

Mike
There will be no SMG in the Z4 M-Coupé.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No SMG? Sounds like a lot of fun if they only throw in a stick shift. In that case, maybe they'll skip the DSC and all.. That way we'll get a pure driver's car.. :wroom: :wroom:

No offense to all you M5 & M3 owners out there. Just feel it would be great with a car which depended more on the driver than the technology to squeeze out those laptimes ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I still think they wil be skipping the I6 and the monster V8 will power the beast!! 317 kW of pure 9000 RPM bliss.. and madness!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
The pic at the top says 'artist's impression' anyway. Lets hope that its nearly ready to be shown.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't think the CSL engine is federalized for the U.S.?

Given that the U.S. is one of the largest, if not the largest, market for M cars by volume, I can't see BMW AG not offering the M/Z4 Coupe here if they build it.

So either they plan to take the expense of federalizing that motor here (not likely, given the expense and small volume) or merely adapt the current M3 engine, perhaps with the some of the bits offered on the current ZCP Competition Package like the M Track mode buttoon and the brakes, which is the more likely route IMHO...which probably also means the option of a 6-speed manual or the SMG.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regardless if its the new v8 or CSL engine this is going to be a true M car! Weight distrubution should be 50/50 just like the previous model. Im very excited about it..
~Alpha~

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
....wish that someone would give us some real info on this, currently im looking at the Cayman S, but this would be tempting....

Gustav, anyone at M you can call?????? :blink:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
royk said:
I don't think the CSL engine is federalized for the U.S.?

Given that the U.S. is one of the largest, if not the largest, market for M cars by volume, I can't see BMW AG not offering the M/Z4 Coupe here if they build it.

So either they plan to take the expense of federalizing that motor here (not likely, given the expense and small volume) or merely adapt the current M3 engine, perhaps with the some of the bits offered on the current ZCP Competition Package like the M Track mode buttoon and the brakes, which is the more likely route IMHO...which probably also means the option of a 6-speed manual or the SMG.
I don't expect the CSL engine will make it either. A tuned S54? Sure... but not the "real" CSL engine.

I think your last para hits the nail right on the head of what we are going to see.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I read a German carmagazine a while back and they said it will have the 3.2 engine from the current M3 E46 with 343bhp. Can't remember which magazine it was.

Frank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.