BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

///M badge on non-M cars...

8408 Views 62 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  E55AMG
I think it's truly amazing how many people think that every BMW with an M-badge has a powerful engine under the hood...
Why would you stick it to your car anyway, I think it's like putting a sock in your underpants because you want to show what a... (well you all know what I mean here). Really, I absolutely can't stand it and although they always want to race me at the stoplights, I just give them an angry look and refuse to race that sort of people ... I'm not wasting petrol and a real Motorsport engine to them...

Selling ///M badges should be prohibited to people who want to stick it on their 318 diesel (nothing against diesel though I adore the d3 :) )
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replication is not in the same league as putting an M on your regular BMW...
People make replicas because the models, that they fell in love with when they were young, are already decennias out of production or extremely expensive.
I've owned two, rather light-engined ,BMW's before the M3 and it never popped into my head : well, today i'm going to buy an M logo and stick it on my car (there are other ways to make less exciting cars a joy to be in!)

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I DO believe an owner of a genuine model always feels a bit superior to the people with rep's. The E39 M5 is widely represented on the secondhand market (a quick search teaches me that there are 24 E39 M5's for sale this moment on one site for second cars).
An M5 = extremely expensive? If an M5 is your dream (and IMO you should always try to achieve your dreams) then you just cut in your other expenses and get one, they aren't cheap but not extremely expensive (if you start using it as your daily driver the petrol bills will be on the high side though)

An M5 replica? Honestly I want to know how much of the guys from this board want a replica...

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I didn't mean superior to express that I feel better than them because I drive (in my opinion) a great car (which indeed isn't really cheap) or for that matter have another job or even another skin colour. You'll NEVER hear me criticize one's choice of transportation (hey I've driven my share of cheaper cars too), I just don't like it that people want an M-car and thus stick M-badges on their car. You said that BMW promoted that sort of changes to cars with less power, hey I don't like that either :). I do not praise everything that is said or decisions made by BMW. Indeed, you have a point that a lot of people buy one just for showing off (maybe a bit more with Ferraris and Porsches than BMW's), and to be truly honest I don't drive constantly like my pants are on fire but it's nice to know that I can whenever I want to...

I propose we close this discussion, I'll try to remember Gustavs remark when a 'faker' (sorry couldn't leave it :)) is revving his engine so I'd bust him at the stoplights...
As a final remark this just slightly bothers me it's not something that I lie awake of (life's too short for that :)) at night.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I'd say having a badge or not is like playing poker...
If you have a non-M BMW and you place a badge you're bluffing
An M with a badge : you're just playing it honest, no bluffing etc.
If you have an M and you de-badge it you're just going for that one stupid person that thought his cards were higher (or his engine bigger) and didn't recognize your Beast :)

PS: There are probably terms for that in the English poker-lexicon, but I'm not a native English speaker ...

Edit: I just noticed the picture of my M3 is approved, sorry for the bit crappy picture, but a friend of mine saw it in the city and sent me this one ... Next investment : a decent camera :)

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Haha that must be the funniest Jetta I have EVER seen, if you want to place a badge as a joke, it's all fine to me. But on BMW's, just leave the M badges where they belong, on cars designed and built by the Motorsport division of the 'Bayerische Motoren Werke'.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Pete said:
Only once did I see a 5 series at the gas station when I pulled in. Of course I looked and it said M5 on the trunk lid. I casually metioned that he lost half his exhaust system someplace, and I got the finger for my acute diagnostic skills.

I'm not doing any more free diagnosing!
Haha, I'm trying to imagine the look on the dude's face. In my imagination, it looks hilariously funny :).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.