BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

///M badge on non-M cars...

8408 Views 62 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  E55AMG
I think it's truly amazing how many people think that every BMW with an M-badge has a powerful engine under the hood...
Why would you stick it to your car anyway, I think it's like putting a sock in your underpants because you want to show what a... (well you all know what I mean here). Really, I absolutely can't stand it and although they always want to race me at the stoplights, I just give them an angry look and refuse to race that sort of people ... I'm not wasting petrol and a real Motorsport engine to them...

Selling ///M badges should be prohibited to people who want to stick it on their 318 diesel (nothing against diesel though I adore the d3 :) )
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
801 Posts
IWantOne said:
Replication is not in the same league as putting an M on your regular BMW...
People make replicas because the models, that they fell in love with when they were young, are already decennias out of production or extremely expensive.
I've owned two, rather light-engined ,BMW's before the M3 and it never popped into my head : well, today i'm going to buy an M logo and stick it on my car (there are other ways to make less exciting cars a joy to be in!)
Putting an 'M' badge on your non-M BMW is what loosers do to impress others (not themselves). It's like getting a fake Rolex watch or claiming your fake diamonds are real so you can impress others. It's a reflection on what values these people have--their fake.

· Registered
801 Posts
Lscman said:
Firstly, these modified cars you see with M badging are genuine BMW's, not Chevrolet's. Is a "fake" Rolex manufactured by Rolex? No....poor analogy. Does an M badge have the value of a diamond? No. IMO, losers make denigrating comments about folks who modify their car or replicate a rare or limited factory or tuner design, in any fashion.

The M badging trend has been promoted, encouraged & led by the mfr, BMW. They profit from it. BMW & Porsche have a habit of selling showy turbo-look & M badged cruiser cars for big markup that that have no significant performance upgrades. These watered-down OEM vehicles are all about impressing other's with false pretense. This BMW marketing trend degraded the M concept and it gives BMW owners the green light to generate similar designs. The '03 540i M upgrade is a perfect example with it's 1" larger wheels and M badging & bolt-ons plastered throughout. These cars do NOT have significantly different power, handling or braking....it's all about rebadging. A kid with a few bux can make something "more worthy" of an M label by simply upgrading suspension & brakes.

I would strongly suggest you stay away from car shows because they are absolutely filled with replicars of all marques. Your opinion of their vehicles would not be embraced.

You are WAY off base and have extrapelated well beyond what my post says. Putting an M5 badge on the rear truck lid of a 525 and in the same area as a REAL M5 is done by people who want to pass off their 525 as an M5 to the general public. It is NOT endosed by BMW, and should NOT be confused with buying M branded parts from BMW and putting them on your car (which there is nothing wrong with). I have NEVER been to a car show where a factory non M BMW was on display with a M badge placed on it at the same rear location as a rear M car.

Only the factory can produce an 'M' car, putting a M5 badge on it is done by loosers who are out to impress others.

· Registered
801 Posts
Lscman said:
My point is that anyone can build a replicar of various stages of correctness and it's THEIR business. This goes from one end of the spectrum to the other....from a 525i with $25 badge to a 540i with massive modifications and a 450HP supercharger.

I NEVER claimed that owner-built replicars were factory-built. My claim is that BMW & Porche have both produced gutless cars with completely misleading high performance badging and bodywork. For some strange reason, you give the mfrs your rubber stamp approval in this effort. It's OK for BMW to mislead the public and grossly overcharge for visual upgrades, as you denigrate owners for making similar mods.

Again, your comments go well beyond what I've said, and perhaps should be the basis of a new thread. You have brought up words like "denigrate" and "lowly community of "regular" BMW owners" in response to posts that don't suggest to me the author meant anything of the sort. For me it is NOT acceptable to put an M5 badge on a car that is not an M5. That is the only issue I'm commenting on, so please don't extrapolate more from it.

A funny thing happened to me at the BMW dealership. I was asked to come into the mechanics area to view a car. When I got there the mechanics were standing arround an modified 5 series laughing at it, and told me to look at it. As I asked them why they were making fun of a modified 525 they told me to step arround to the rear. They were laughing because the guy had an M5 badge on the truck lid. I went into the waiting room to talk with the owner. He continued to refer to his car as an M5. He's a looser in my book.

· Registered
801 Posts
Lscman said:
Philip,

Your blanket statement implies that a totally "correct" M5 replicar (aside from chassis VIN) is not acceptable to you, even if it is clearly presented by the owner as a non-OEM design replicar.
QUOTE]

You are correct. Only BMW builds the M5. You can mod a non-M all you want, and it's still not an M. And it won't be recognized as one by BMW, a court of law, the highway patrol, the DMV, a future purchaser of your car, the insurance agency. etc.....The VIN number is the ultimate legal identification of the true identity of the car, and you are not allowed to change it (maybe the legal folks were thinking of possers when they mandated this?).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.