BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a simple way to tell if you have the optional M Audio sound system? I suspect I don't as I count 12 speaker grills throughout the interior, rather than 10, but I am ot 100% sure.

If you have heard both, how much improvement does the M system provide? Honestly, the M5's system seems a little weak. While much much better than the factory system in my MZ3, it pales to the sound in my X5 (which is nearly identical).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my apologies for the double post.

·
Registered
230 Posts
open trunk, insert head, look for 2 big magnets under rear deck that belongs to the 2 10" subwoofers. if yes then check one for M audio

·
Registered
230 Posts
no problem

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Suggestion.....

If you want to upgrade your factory M Audio, you should consider these pkgs: http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/index.php , designed specifically for E39 M5. They are an M5Board sponsor; the product is excellent (I have speaker and sub upgrade; it's night and day better), and cost is comparatively quite reasonable.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If you want to upgrade your factory M Audio, you should consider these pkgs: http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/index.php , designed specifically for E39 M5. They are an M5Board sponsor; the product is excellent (I have speaker and sub upgrade; it's night and day better), and cost is comparatively quite reasonable.
I've been considering this upgrade and notice that there are some differences related to M Audio systems and the others.

I read the supplement instructions for M Audio systems and it doesn't appear to be too difficult to install these.

My question to you is how was it really? Are the instructions accurate? Did it all work out with minimal hassle?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
OK....

I've been considering this upgrade and notice that there are some differences related to M Audio systems and the others.

I read the supplement instructions for M Audio systems and it doesn't appear to be too difficult to install these.

My question to you is how was it really? Are the instructions accurate? Did it all work out with minimal hassle?
Mike, I'm "all thumbs" when it comes to generally tedious installations, maintenance work, or really anything mechanical/electrical. Besides, I'm old, grouchy, and 'have the patience of a brama bull. So, when I acquired BSW's products, 'simply took them all to a good car stereo shop and paid $200 for installation. It took them about 3 hours to do all the speakers, mount up the 12" sub and box, then dial in the seperate amp that comes with sub ('mounted THAT in trunk well, where tire inflator is located). 'End result was very integrated and clean install, all DSP settings options remained fully functional; and, best of all, richness/clarity of sound from new speakers/sub is far, far better than stock M Audio. Very much worth the $$$, IMO.

That said, if you do a search, you'll find plenty of M5Board DIY'ers who installed BSW's products themselves. IIRC, most guys spent 6 - 8 hours getting everything done and "buttoned up". 'Seems BSW is always available to help DIY'ers with questions and in need of tech support; even though BSW provides detailed written instructions. Install doesn't appear to be "tricky", just tedious and time consuming.

BSW's website will lead you to specific products for either standard E39 M5 stereo system, or those with M Audio option. Depending on what you have, there is a difference, I think. Also, you can simply call BSW and discuss options with them. They're very helpful and responsive.

Good luck!!:)

Reactions: Mike S.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts