BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a level 1 speaker set from Bavsound not realizing that they won't work. I ended up removing the mid-range from the stock speaker and attached it to the Bavsound speaker. Everything works just fine , but i only did the driver door so far. Is this a feasible solution or will it go wrong if i do all the speakers ? Still not sure if it is worth the $$
20210612_222559.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Bav sound kit for the e39s isn't really designed for cars with the M-Audio option. The site is a little misleading on whether they work correctly or not... Took all of 3 minutes on the phone with them to discover this was in fact the case. You can direct replace your front stage with Bavs but your rears do not have tweeters in the door like the non-M audio cars. You would swapping the pictured co-axles in the rear for a set of mid-basses only. I didn't dig too deeply into the differences between the DSP cars vs. DSP + M-Audio cars but it does appear to be more then just the free-air subs in the back. (My rear doors did not have wiring, mounting brackets or the connectors at all that I would of thought would of been there from the factory.)

I don't think the Bavsound instruction is correct for the front doors either... pretty sure those two connections on your existing Co-axles are for the midbass and tweeter unlike the non- M-Audio where one was for the audio and the other was for a wired in phone. I did purchase the kit (DSP kit) and installed the fronts before I ran into the issues with the rears. They are still in the car but not because I thought they were something mind blowing but more-so because I really didn't want to deal with 20 year old plastics, clips, padding, glues and foams disintegrating further trying to swap back.

I can say the M-Audio woke up nicely when I decided to swap in a Dynavin head unit. Im not a super audio-file but do have a rather hefty investment in audio gear for the daily driver that I enjoy. The Dynavin makes it fun to turn up the volume a bit, where-as I prefer to not even bother listening to any music with the stock head unit before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Need some help here. I actually don't know if I have M-audio or not ... and I literally just ordered Bavsound stage 1 speakers. My rear doors have a small speaker grill at the front of the door sill (closest to the front seats) and I have speakers behind the rear seat headrests.
How do I tell if I have M-audio? And can you explain more why the Bavsound speakers don't work with it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
There were three audio options for your car.
1) Base system (Standard Hifi)
2) Base system + DSP
3) Base system + DSP + Maudio.

If you still have the stock head unit and it has the DSP (aka a graphic equalizer) function in the menu then you have option #2. If you have M-Audio then there will be two free air subs mounted in the rear deck. check here: http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/9295/71313169rq5.jpg note: I believe the non- Maudio cars do have some sort of sub but it is enclosed??

The M-Audio is more then just the subs. The door/rear deck speakers were replaced with kelvar 2 ways speakers (midbass + tweeter) as you have pictured earlier. The base system speakers I believe are just paper cones. The cars that do have M-audio do not have tweeters in the rear doors (its just a dummy plate, with no wiring or mounting brackets)

You can certainly replace your front door and A pillar tweeters with the Bav kit. I see nothing wrong with reusing the existing part of the two speaker as well. If you decide to keep going then you can do the rear deck the same way I guess to work you around the no tweeter in the door issue. You should continue to use the filters they provided though.

In the end, for me it wasn't worth it. Replacing the headunit and getting the extra single voltage to factory amp really woke up the kevlar 2 ways. For my ear there was a marginal difference to my ear between the Bavs in the front vs stock as the dynamic range of the amplifier was really limiting for me... As a reference I have 3 ways for my front sound stage in my daily ~500 watts dedicated to them so it is easy to be critical while at the same time appreciate what the headunit change did to the factory unit. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks man! Yes, I have the two subs mounted in the trunk under the rear deck. I found another thread with DSP settings that made a big difference, so I think I will send back the Bavsound speakers.
I also read that upgrading the head unit on the DSP and M-audio was an iffy proposition too since the aftermarket units don't integrate perfectly with the DSP and on-board computer system.
Is there a "plug and play" replacement for the head unit?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Avin and dynavin both make direct plug and play replacements that look almost factory. Ithe case of the dynavin they sell a wiring adapter so you don’t have to hack up any wiring in the dash or in the trunk.

A quick search here should pull up some reviews.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts