BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a set of M-Audio speakers that I'm trying to retrofit into my E39 540 w/DSP. The question I have is, a pair of the speakers has tweeters mounted on them, does this set go in the rear shelf or the front doors?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the set with the tweeters in the middle are the rear deck speakers
Thanks, that's what I figured. Just finished installing the front 2 speakers/tweeters and the difference is amazing. Can't wait until I do the rear deck and eventually get M subs.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
My M audio front woofers had tweeters mounted to them just like the ones pictured. When I removed all of the woofers, they ALL had tweeters mounted to them.

Juss sayin.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My M audio front woofers had tweeters mounted to them just like the ones pictured. When I removed all of the woofers, they ALL had tweeters mounted to them.

Juss sayin.....

Did you have midrange speakers as well?

·
Registered
257 Posts
What parts are needed for a DSP to M Audio retrofit? I love the DSP system, but if the M sounds even better, I'm truly curious.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What parts are needed for a DSP to M Audio retrofit? I love the DSP system, but if the M sounds even better, I'm truly curious.
I just completed my retrofit and this is what I've observed coming from a DSP car.

1. M-Audio Mid-bass speakers have tweeters mounted on them
--> DSP has a separate mid-range tweeter not attached to the mid-bass on the upper portion of the door
2. M-Audio has no rear door speakers (mid-range tweeter)
--> DSP has mid-range rear door speakers
3. M-Audio rear deck speakers are the same as the front Mid-bass w/tweeters mounted on them.
--> DSP only has a plug for the mid-bass, none for the tweeter

There might be a way around this if you purchase the entire enclosure with the speakers still mounted. My stock DSP enclosures only had 1 set of wires for the woofer. Although, I'm unsure if the M-Audio enclosures are compatible with the stock plug.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Tim, I'm looking to replace my front speakers since my passenger side is caput (loud crackling sounds). Not looking to do anything fancy, just want to replace (not a big audiophile) - would you say just go OEM? I have M-audio and DSP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts