BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just bought a beast with M-Audio. I want to upgrade the front speakers without going bananas.

Any insights on how to do this would be much appreciated.

Questions which come to mind:

How many speakers in the door? Separate midbass, midrange and tweeters in the sailpanels? Are the crossovers built into the DSP amp? If so, is each speaker unit wired independently (three sets of wires)? If so,how does one go about using an aftermarket two-way/ component system or does one need a three-way system to use without the crossover. What speaker impedance is required if using an aftermarket system?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Farra

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Bavarian sound werks look into it

·
Registered
184 Posts
I pretty much think it's all or nothing. If BSW can't provide you with a speaker upgrade, than I believe you have to replace the amp and all the speakers if you want to upgrade. I could be wrong though. I need to get off my butt and install my system, I've been putting it off. (Alpine PDX-V9, Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5 Components, JL 8 W7, running off the Intravee and Alpine PXA-H100)

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I had M-audio and I installed BSW stage one...if I remember correctly, the kit came with four mids and 4 tweeters. It's been a while so I can't remember for sure, but I think that was the case. The improvement was well worth it. I ended up adding one Alpine Sub powered by an Alpine amp, and the combination is perfect. Loud without being ridiculous or extremely aftermarket.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I didnt know u had a bsw kit, I should have heard it when I was there. im looking to see what options are available for upgrades without going too aftermarket

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
When we take care of your headlights next time, I'll let you have a listen. The BSW stage one is perfect, but it just made me realize that bass was lacking so I added one amp and one sub, and now it's perfect.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The first mod I did to my M-Audio was replace the DSP amplifier with a JBL MS-8 processor. The difference was literally night and day, proving the speakers are not the weakest link (by far).

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I had M-audio and I installed BSW stage one...if I remember correctly, the kit came with four mids and 4 tweeters. It's been a while so I can't remember for sure, but I think that was the case. The improvement was well worth it. I ended up adding one Alpine Sub powered by an Alpine amp, and the combination is perfect. Loud without being ridiculous or extremely aftermarket.
Nah, I disagree. The tweeter was not noticeably different and the timing is off from the other OEM speakers. The m-audio midbass also has a coaxial tweeter. Bavsound is just a midbass. Bavsound doesn't offer a midrange, so the timing on the factory midrange will be off with the Bavsound tweeter. I never installed the Bavsound midbass after hearing the tweeter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I checked with Bavsound and they told me they don't offer any upgrades for the E39 with M-Audio... Wesbite shows nothing available for my car either.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I checked with Bavsound and they told me they don't offer any upgrades for the E39 with M-Audio... Wesbite shows nothing available for my car either.
No. The problem is the Coaxials on M-audio have 2 inputs- regular coaxials only have one input and an on-board tweeter. There are no speakers out there that I know of like the M-audio 2 input coaxials.

·
Registered
130 Posts
IIRC the reason for the M-Audio coaxials is for the factory phone system - the secondary driver is for the phone, I think. I put the stage 1 Bavsound in my M-Audio E39 M5 with no problem, midbass in the door, tweeter in the sail panel. The rear deck is more problematic (again IIRC) as they are actual dual input coax, both used for music. I recently did a full system replacement, and the plan was to leave the rear deck speakers in place, just not to use them. The shop wired the midbasses up to the head unit amp (I think) anyway - it sounds terrible (as I anticipated) so I just turned the rear channel off in the head unit.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
There's a bit of mis-information online. I thought M-audio was the same as Premium DSP except the subs. I ordered BSW to find that's not correct.

Then my car's documents just says Individual Audio.

Also when I took out the rear door panels, there isn't even a tweeter or wiring there.

Oh well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There's a bit of mis-information online. I thought M-audio was the same as Premium DSP except the subs. I ordered BSW to find that's not correct.

Then my car's documents just says Individual Audio.

Also when I took out the rear door panels, there isn't even a tweeter or wiring there.

Oh well.
Nah thats definitely not the case, sorry you had bad info. I replaced my whole M-Audio setup, I can tell you the wiring and anything you want to know.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What did you replace it with?
Avin AVANT-2 Head unit,

5 channel JBL amp in the original AMP location

Pioneer components in the front, tweeters mounted in the door card where no speaker is on M audio

Rockford fosgate coaxials on the rear deck that drop into original housing

2x 10 inch subs in a box in the trunk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts