BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '02 with M Audio...

I was getting the car "serviced" and the person helping me stated that I should have some type of speaker cover (I can see the black plastic speaker baskets and wiring ) in my trunk. Is this true? I have owned the car since it was new...Am I missing a part?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The M Audio subwoofers come from the factory with big black plastic open-ended cylindrical "buckets" surrounding them. I assume these have something to do with sound tuning and also to keep objects in the trunk from hitting them. The edges of these cylinders on my car were quite sharp and I kept skinning my knuckles when putting larger objects into the trunk until I got a file out and rounded the edges. The material is extremely tough and filing them down wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. A power sander or sanding disk would have made the job a lot easier. Anyway, you should not see the speaker baskets or cones unless you put you head into the trunk and looke up the cylinders, so I would guess that person is right and the previous owner took them out, either because they were tired of getting skinned knuckles like me or they were interfering with trunk space.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts