BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my car and it already had an alpine head unit and 5 channel alpine amp. However I was blessed with the stock Nokia sub system. Since I'm not limited to the stock dsp amp and OEM setup what do you guys have as far as ad ice for increasing the audio's low end? I really like the M Audio's ability to maintain trunk space. I am therefore curious what alternatives the rest of you have come up with. Unlike my E46 M3, I assume that since BMW fitted subs to the chassis that low excursion smallish subs wouldn't be an vibration issue. However I would love to hear your experiences.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What about M audio not taking up trunk space? Those subs are very deep and I am always running into them trying to fit stuff in the trunk of my car.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
What about M audio not taking up trunk space? Those subs are very deep and I am always running into them trying to fit stuff in the trunk of my car.

Me too. The subs really limit what you can get into the trunk simply because they reduce the effective height by so much. I think I'd rather have a sub that sits against the back of the rear seats or maybe a stealthbox style that goes on one side of the trunk.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Custom side sub is awesome for this car. It allows maximum utilization of the trunk space especially if you have the split fold seat option in your E39.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True, they would certainly reduce room in that way. What I meant was simply compared to the traditional MDF universal subwoofer boxes.

How much performance do the M-audio subwoofers actually have? My experience with OEM audio is that it is generally sub-par. However, the audio system in the M5 really isn't too bad all in all for OEM.

·
Registered
470 Posts
True, they would certainly reduce room in that way. What I meant was simply compared to the traditional MDF universal subwoofer boxes.

How much performance do the M-audio subwoofers actually have? My experience with OEM audio is that it is generally sub-par. However, the audio system in the M5 really isn't too bad all in all for OEM.
I am really not an audio expert or snob so I can't really tell you. It does sound amazing in my opinion, the M audio package can push plenty of bass. The M audio acoustic setup is much better then it is in my parent's e38 with the 14 speaker DSP setup, that car has no bass for the front seat passengers while the rear seat ones get their heads pounded in.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have m audio dsp and don't really rate it compared to Sonera of the the systems in newer cars although it's vastly better than the standard E39 audio setup.
I think fine tuning the equaliser settings does improve things

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have just finished making a BSW style sub box, but with quick release so it can be removed without tools in 2min. I made a low profile free air sub holder first, but the sound with my 2 x Hertz ESF20.5 subs was terrible. A lot of work has gone into this, not all of it fun. I think if I had to do it again, I would buy a Herz EBX 25.5 (or something similar) flat sub box and just connect that. Here are some pictures of the work. Because the space of the bottom of the parcel shelf was complicated, I taped it, then installed the sub box and filled the gap with urethane to get the shape right to seal the subs.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wow, that is some impressive work. I am wiling to bet you will be grateful for that quick release feature someday when you need to place something large in the trunk.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would go for a single 8" of a well known brand in a slotted box solution. Playing through the ski hatch
I used this solution in my old C70 Volvo and it was more than enough bass :) (Stock C70 audio uses 2x 9" Dynaudio subs so its pretty similar to M-audio with the 10" subs)
I tried both a JL audio 8W7 and one Digital Designs 1508 back then, not sure i have any pictures of it but if i find them ill post them later.

Or i would use a Hertz HX250 in a closed box, they only need like 15L of space and they sound really good.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would go for a single 8" of a well known brand in a slotted box solution. Playing through the ski hatch
I used this solution in my old C70 Volvo and it was more than enough bass :) (Stock C70 audio uses 2x 9" Dynaudio subs so its pretty similar to M-audio with the 10" subs)
I tried both a JL audio 8W7 and one Digital Designs 1508 back then, not sure i have any pictures of it but if i find them ill post them later.

Or i would use a Hertz HX250 in a closed box, they only need like 15L of space and they sound really good.
A few posts back up you will see that I provided pictures of the side trunk sub installation in an E39. This sub enclosure uses the Hertz 250 subwoofer and the sound is amazing. They are incredibly efficient and precise. Some of my friends that have had twin subs were so amazed with my set-up that they switched to the Hertz 250 and small side enclosure to get the usable space in the trunk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts