BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
i think it will, i saw spy pics of an M5 touring with german numberplates, unless they were computer generated...i cant see why they wouldnt launch a touring version

------------------
SL

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think i've heard something on german television, that a M5 Touring should be introduced in autumn '01

Dany

'01 M5 - lemans blue (Delivery in a few days - Status 190)
'97 M3 - cosmos black

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by KnightRider:
i think it will, i saw spy pics of an M5 touring with german numberplates, unless they were computer generated...i cant see why they wouldnt launch a touring version

Why would anyone want one ? A 5 series Touring a/k/a station wagon has less trunk space than the sedan. It doesn't seat any more passengers . It doesn't look as good either. Just what would the avantage to a Touring be over the sedan ?

------------------

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Parkerfe:

During the E34 reign, in Europe the touring M5 was the hot seller. More than fifty percent of the Euro M5s were wagons. Source for this was Roundel magazine. They didn't bring it here and I don't think they will have an E39 wagon here either.

By the way, Audi has just introduced a turbo S4 wagon AWD that is faster than the M5 in virtually every way. Gary, of this board, showed me a German auto mag that had compared the two. It won't be coming here either.

Some feel wagons have a better shape for high speed and downforce at the rear, and are better balanced. Of course, they are not your fathers station wagon. I know because I own two wagons. An E320 and 528i and find them very sporty and useful. I don't like truck like suvs.

SUV's are too big for Europe and so the wagon is the consumers choice there. I just came back from Spain & Portugal and was amazed at the number of wagons of every make and model.
And if you want to see a huge trunk, check out the E320, it has more cargo area than most SUV's I've seen. As to looks, its in the eye of the beholder.

Some of my 2 cents about wagons.

BTW how'd you make out with the clutch?

cheers

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

·
Registered
14 Posts
Parkafe: Hmmm...according to Edmunds.com, the 540 station wagon has a trunk capacity of 32.1 cu. ft, while the sedan has 11.1 cu. ft.

I was very tempted to get a 540 station wagon for my wife...but she vetoed it. It think the car looks good and has lots of versatility.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The Audi RS4 is also twin-turbo (biturbo in audi-speak) putting out 380bhp. It's a lighter car. Very sweet tho, and definetly in tune with the subtlety chain of thought.

I personally can't justify the added weight, etc. Doesn't look too sharp. but that's just my opinion.

--Dan

·
Registered
298 Posts
Jim,
"more than 50 percent of euro E34 M5s were wagons"??
I think that there were 891 Touring M5s built. If that is 50% of the m5 contingent, I really own a rare car then ;-)
Are you sure of this? GeorgeK

[This message has been edited by GeorgeK (edited 03 November 2000).]

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by jokarak:
Parkafe: Hmmm...according to Edmunds.com, the 540 station wagon has a trunk capacity of 32.1 cu. ft, while the sedan has 11.1 cu. ft.

I was very tempted to get a 540 station wagon for my wife...but she vetoed it. It think the car looks good and has lots of versatility.
Yes but that includes the space all the way up to the headliner. If you packed the back that high you would have NO rear visibility. If you pack the back only as high as the rear seat back the Touring has far less space that the saloon truck. Plus, the saloon truck gives you more security as your load is out-of-sight !

------------------

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'd absolutely want an M5 Touring.

Looks are, of course, subjective, and I think the E39 wagon looks very nice in lighter colors.

As for capacity, there's no comparison. A sedan doesn't cut it for carrying things, period, especially not with the long but very narrow trunk of the E39.

Not that we have to have a wagon to carry things - that's what the old Suburban is for - but I like wagons anyway.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
George:
I read this in Roundel a number of years ago and commented to my wife who had a E34 wagon here at the time, that's why I remember it. Now that would be 50% of production for europe in the years when they built the wagons. I think it was in the last two years of the production.

Another quote: "Despite the apparent contadictions of a nominal load-lugger capable of out-accelerating a Ferrari, the Touring immediately took around half of all M5 sales in Germany, proving that the major market for M5's consisted of people wanting discreet and practical, as well as extremely rapid, transport." These were not in the UK.
Source: BMW M Series by Chris Rees, page 73.

Pretty good memory.. eh!

Originally posted by GeorgeK:
Jim,
"more than 50 percent of euro E34 M5s were wagons"??
I think that there were 891 Touring M5s built. If that is 50% of the m5 contingent, I really own a rare car then ;-)
Are you sure of this? GeorgeK

[This message has been edited by GeorgeK (edited 03 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jim Dolan (edited 04 November 2000).]

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would definitely consider replacing the e39 M5 with a Touring M5 if it also offered an AWD option, obviating the need to ever consider a SUV again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts