BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

has anyone got any experience with luxury motors I knwo they are pretty big in america so pace your thoughts in this thread please.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If this is Luxury Motors out of the Chicago area (I know they also have an Infiniti dealer in Northern California, among others), I did a Google search for them awhile back, and it seems like they weren't too good on customer service.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've known luxury motors since they were a 6 car operation on Ogden Ave in Downers Grove, IL. They move cars....tons of them. Last time I talked to the owner, Joe, was a couple years ago. At that time, they were moving almost 200 cars/week and 75% of that was internet sales. With that kind of volume, they are like the Costco of cars sales. They are in the business of moving cars fast and relatively cheaply, which is why they got so huge. That said, there is no way that they can include every option or detail about every car and look into the history of the cars to make sure that they let you know that the wheels were refinished because of curbing, etc.

With luxury motors, you can get a great deal on a car, but that means that you need to do a bit of your own leg work. Otherwise, you might get an awful deal on a car. Get an independent tech to go do a PPI for you. Sometimes you can even make a deal with a BMW dealership to have a tech go do this. If the car is at their lot in Downers Grove, then Laurel BMW of Westmont is right down the street.

Oh yeah, and use the search feature...this has been discussed before.
(Ha, beat ya to it Santa and Kees...kinda cheated, though ;))

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Don't know of them here in New England.....U.S.A.

·
Premium Member
8,806 Posts
Have you tried using the Search feature? They've been discussed several times before on this messageboard.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I have heard good things and bad things, but nothing great.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Bought my Lexus GS300 from them (extra car). Basically, most of the cars they have are bought at auction. Is that a problem? Not at all in my opinion. They bought my GS300 from an auction in Arizona, where the previous owner had leased the car. Sure, they might have paid a few thousand less than I did, but I still got it a little below wholesale bluebook.

As with any used car, get your own independent mechanical check.

Reactions: NickyBlack

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought my M5 at Luxury motors in Chicago, and drove it all the way back to Boston. I actually had BMW down the road from Luxury do an inspection for me. BMW actully sent me the service history with the guys name who owned the car previously. I gave the previous owner a call, the ex owner talked about how he loved the car and took care of it. It gave me confidence to buy it.

The car sales person who sold the car to me wasn't the most friendliest, firstly after organizing my flight from Boston to Chicago they made me wait at the airport for over 11/2 hours. When I turned up the guy who sold me the car barely said two words and sat behind his desk without getting up. This other guy then took over, I think he was the general manager but he definitely made me feel a little more welcome.

They were by far the lowest in price when I was shopping around in June 07. When comparing to many of the BMW sales people during my local visits in Boston I would say that my overall experience with Luxury was okay, my experience with sales people in general has never been that good.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jase

·
Registered
970 Posts
They sell a lot of cars that been in accidents. Just make sure you do good PPI

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yea i have bought a car from them and they cheated me with the vin.... luckily the car had no problems well just make sure the vin is exact and get a carfax report

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I think they have excellent selection and prices are unbeatable. You will not find a certified car there only remainder of manyfacturers warranty. I have bought 4 cars from them and had nothing but positive experience... maybe its i personally know the sales manager and owner... hhhhmmmm

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
With that kind of volume, they are like the Costco of cars sales.
That is a HUGE insult to Costco.

Seriously though, they make it a point ot know as little as possible about what they are selling- they don't care, and will mislead you to the extent permitted by law, and perhaps more. Their salesmen are pushy and dishonest.

I find it disingenuous to say that they move so many cars they can't know all the details... Hey, you're dealing with one salesman and asking 'how are the wheels', I expect the salesman to look at the damn car.

They cannot be trusted. In my two interactions, I found myself looking to wash my hands.

If you are thinking of buying a car from them without having a personal representative on site (as well as PPI inspections, etc) you'd be a fool.

There are several bad stories about them, but plenty of folks have gotten lucky it sounds like, which will you be?

·
Registered
97 Posts
All I can say is run!!!!!! the most dishonest people on earth. the lower than scum in the pond.

Bought my red imola from them. Turns out 4 months later, the instrument cluster goes bad. When installed the new odometer it gave me the real reading of the miles on the car. The car had more than 100k miles. I can't pursue a lawsuit because it's already been long but I will never buy from them again.

IF I can prevent others to buy from them. I will... So run!!!!!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
How is their fault if your cluster is misreading the milage? Isnt there dealer records you can check? Carfax?

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
How is their fault if your cluster is misreading the milage? Isnt there dealer records you can check? Carfax?
Somebody reprogrammed the cluster and set the mileage back. When he replaced the cluster, the true mileage was displayed.

Clearly couldn't have been those thorough and upstanding salesmen at Luxury- they were just victims of unscrupulous mechanics prior to their acquistiion- and despite their very diligent and thorough inspection this hidden defect slipped past the crack staff at luxury.

They do not claim to do any inspection, and people should absolutely distrust anything they say. Nothing they say is legally binding, they know it and disclose this in their sales documents... protect yourself and verify everything. Of course this is very, very difficult as they are a PITA when it comes to cooperating with PPIs, etc.

Carfax? Please.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts