BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been several months since I first corresponded with a gentleman that owns the 2000 M5 in Imola Red over Caramel that I detailed in the title of this thread. The car is gorgeous. Now when some people place ads that have the "Must See", "Immaculate" or "Meticulously Maintained" everyone scoffs and says Bull! I have been known to be the type as well. After wading through so many disappointing ads on eBay, Craigslist and AutoTrader I had just about given up my search.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

This was until I had picked up a newspaper that is local to the city which I work in. I was thumbing through the classified ads and this vehicle was listed. Though I found myself to be quite skeptical, I called the owner. He was just about to leave for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:p</st1:State>for the winter the following day and would have his cell phone service suspended for that duration of time. It was almost by providence that I ended up connecting with this gentleman.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

If anyone is seeing how this story is quite Twilight Zone-esque then you are in the same boat that I am. To be quite honest I was nervous about the car. It was a vehicle that the gentleman stated that he had been looking at and he was looking at all model year E39s. This was the M5 that he eventually decided on. The condition spoke for itself. I sent him a full e-mail inquiring about the service history, why he was selling it, what documentation he had on it, what options it had, mileage, etc. He sent back a response that quelled any skepticism that I may have had.

<O:p</O:pHe responded with the VIN of the vehicle, an approximate mileage of 56k, stated he was the second owner, explained that it did have Inspection I and had oil changes under recommended factory intervals of 15,000 miles, informed that it had full leather, sent the pictures that you see below, informed me that it had a Dinan exhaust installed on, stated that it didn't have the VDO fixed but informed me that it didn't have the pixelization issues that are known for happening on these models and told me that he had all manuals, service documentation he has performed and all manuals and tools are intact. The car has no dings, dents, scratches or nicks on it anywhere that I could see by the pictures and he stated that the condition of the body and paint was 100%. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 2s and have roughly 80% tread left on them and the wheels have 0 scratches or curb-rash on them also. Reason for selling: Needs more space for new Porsches, Mercedes-Benz and Ferraris.

<O:p</O:pNow I must admit that the Imola Red/ Caramel combination was the furthest thing from what I was looking for when I began this quest. It was originally <st1:City><ST1:place>Le Mans</ST1:place></st1:City> Blue/ Le Mans Blue- Black that I was looking for. It was just by happenstance that I ended up coming across this. I absolutely love the combination. I was hoping that someone could tell me from the included pictures whether or not this is Full Leather. It does appear to be, because it looks like there is leather on the instrument cluster hood. If someone can confirm this, that would be great.

<O:p</O:pOh, with regards to the pricing of the vehicle. When he originally ran the ad, he had an asking price of $26k. Through our initial talk he did indicate to me that he believes that he won’t be able to get the asking amount. I am prepared to begin negotiations at $22k even though the vehicle has sat the last 5 months and not accumulated any mileage. I was wondering if this is an acceptable place to begin. If anyone thinks I should start lower of higher, let me know. It’s not in my interest to insult him, but I don’t want to pay mega-bucks for the car either. My reasoning behind the low offer is based on the fact that I would have to do upgrades to the car to get it to my level of satisfaction as well as do Inspection II and other things myself.

<O:p</O:pHope the pictures help. Enjoy! :M5rev:<O:p</O:p

Attachments

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
The car looks very nice, has all the documentation, and low mileage. Why would you low-ball with an 85% offer? What would be the basis... that you plan on spending money on upgrades? You will kick yourself when it is sold out from under you. Don't niggle if this car is for you. If it is a fair price, offer a reasonable counter, then buy it.

Dave

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95/20.0.015; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

wilsodh said:
The car looks very nice, has all the documentation, and low mileage. Why would you low-ball with an 85% offer? What would be the basis... that you plan on spending money on upgrades? You will kick yourself when it is sold out from under you. Don't niggle if this car is for you. If it is a fair price, offer a reasonable counter, then buy it.

Dave
+1. And that combo is sweet.:D

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, I am not trying to insult him with a counter offer low like that, but he did say that he figured he would probably get about $24k for it. And if I start a little bit lower, I can get myself to the range. Working in $500 increments, I could get myself to that range or I would top out at a little under the $24k. My justification is that if I get it at this mileage I can implement a little more rigorous mainentance schedule. I cannot certify how often it has been service, if the transmission and differential fluids have ever been changed or if it has had new spark plugs since new. Do these things at the cery minumum, but there would be that much more done to it if I purchase it. Also if I saved myself money off of the purchase price, I would have money left over to purchase the upgrades that I really want that are on the later models, starting for the 2001 model year.

IE: Steering wheel, Mk IV Navigation, E-Code headlights with "Angel Eyes", upgraded to the Angel iBright V3.0. I would also do a few more things above and beyond to personalize things that much more.

The vehicle does look beautiful. I figured you would like it, Laidback. Personally, where the aesthetics of the vehicle are concerned, you couldn't ask for a prettier combination, in my humble opinion. It's only to be enhanced, should I buy it.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Maybe start higher at an offer of $24,000 whch seems more reasonable to me and will more than likely be dignified with a decent counter offer. Best of luck.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Get it PPI'd first and if everything is ok I don't see why not...If you like modding/personalizing cars that is a good platform to start with and yes it's a full leather...:biggrinbounce:

Well, I am not trying to insult him with a counter offer low like that, but he did say that he figured he would probably get about $24k for it. And if I start a little bit lower, I can get myself to the range. Working in $500 increments, I could get myself to that range or I would top out at a little under the $24k. My justification is that if I get it at this mileage I can implement a little more rigorous mainentance schedule. I cannot certify how often it has been service, if the transmission and differential fluids have ever been changed or if it has had new spark plugs since new. Do these things at the cery minumum, but there would be that much more done to it if I purchase it. Also if I saved myself money off of the purchase price, I would have money left over to purchase the upgrades that I really want that are on the later models, starting for the 2001 model year.

IE: Steering wheel, Mk IV Navigation, E-Code headlights with "Angel Eyes", upgraded to the Angel iBright V3.0. I would also do a few more things above and beyond to personalize things that much more.

The vehicle does look beautiful. I figured you would like it, Laidback. Personally, where the aesthetics of the vehicle are concerned, you couldn't ask for a prettier combination, in my humble opinion. It's only to be enhanced, should I buy it.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
The dash has leather on it so it would be full leather. Check the headlinder to look for the Alcantara (suede-like) material also.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Better get on the stick dude. These situations have a way of punishing those who hesitate....

Dave

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have looked at the pictures several times over and I am trying to make something out on this. I have read that in early examples of the production years, the oval rear-view is not present on these. Not that it makes a huge difference to me as to whether or not I want this, it is a nice aesthetic piece and it just helps to set it apart from the rest of the 5-Series lineup.

Is it possible for someone to tell from this VIN if it is an early production that is void of this piece. VIN: WBSDE93472BZ96010. Production month: 03/2000.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
The car will have an oval mirror. Dude.... go see the frickin car. You'll learn immediately if this is car for you by taking it for a drive. Studying photos is not gonna get you there.

D

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I didn't mention that the guy won't return from Florida for a few more weeks. He will be back mid-April.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Time to plan that Spring break trip to Fla! :)

·
Registered
8,153 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Imola Red Sled

This car was on ebay a few times last summer with no sucess. From what I can remember it did not hit the reserve and I prompted him to post up a few extra piks of the interior.:M5rev:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And do you happen to recall what the reserve had sat at on this? You can either post here or PM. If the inability to get the to the reserve is any indication of what he was asking for for a price on the vehicle then I would, indeed, need to have a decent counter offer to the asking price.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
29-30 I think and 2-3 different listings. Offer what you can pay. There's only 2 answers! YES and NO

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
What ever happened to this car and the deal?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts